Questions about drive replacement

Rebel

Hi Guys,

One of my 3TB WD Red's failed on the monthly scan, I've seen that I can replace it with a 4 (which is my parity disk size) and / or I can flip from the old RFS to XFS but not using the rebuild.

I don't have a spare on hand (silly I know) but I can get one next day from scan, so here's my plan please tell me if I am wrong / about to **** things up royally here.

Plan:

Disk 5 has failed with 2.3TB on it, array has about 4TB spare but no single disk can take all data:

Activate the disk 5 SMB share and disk shares on other disks to cover the footprint.

Move data from disk5 share (I Assume parity ghost here) to other disk shares

Shut array down

Take failed disk out of array

shut system down

Swap failed disk for new 4TB

reboot and start without disk 5

preclear disk and format for XFS and introduce disk back into array next week

Feedback please?

Also should I get WD Red, seagate or HGST 4TB ?

EDIT: Am I overthinking this? Should I just go with the replacement and worry about XFS later (conversion has been on my todo list for a while so it's not like it's a super urgent must have thing right no)

Hi Guys,

One of my 3TB WD Red's failed on the monthly scan, I've seen that I can replace it with a 4 (which is my parity disk size) and / or I can flip from the old RFS to XFS but not using the rebuild.

I don't have a spare on hand (silly I know) but I can get one next day from scan, so here's my plan please tell me if I am wrong / about to **** things up royally here.

Plan:

Disk 5 has failed with 2.3TB on it, array has about 4TB spare but no single disk can take all data:

Activate the disk 5 SMB share and disk shares on other disks to cover the footprint.

Move data from disk5 share (I Assume parity ghost here) to other disk shares

Shut array down

Take failed disk out of array

shut system down

Swap failed disk for new 4TB

reboot and start without disk 5

preclear disk and format for XFS and introduce disk back into array next week

Feedback please?

Also should I get WD Red, seagate or HGST 4TB ?

EDIT: Am I overthinking this? Should I just go with the replacement and worry about XFS later (conversion has been on my todo list for a while so it's not like it's a super urgent must have thing right no)

No super answer here, except inn what drive to buy. There is a good deal on the HGST 4T.

First thought is did the drive really fail our did it just drip from the array due to a bad or loose cable. If it just dropped, I'd suggest fixing that, rebuilding into the same disk, and dealing with xfs as a separate issue.

But if the disk failed, I think I like the copy data approach, although it will be slow going as parity would be involved reading and writing. Reasons include your need to get the new drive and preclear it before use. The copy could be started immediately and finish before the new drive even arrives. When the new drive is precleared, you can rebuild the failed disk with it. But once rebuilt, you can convert it to XFS and reformat. (You could also do the new config thing and rebuild parity, but I like this rebuild the failed disk approach better).

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply

It was running the monthly parity check (a throwback from unmenu when I was on 4.6, I left it on as I thought it was a good idea) it went to 768 errors and disabled  :o

I can't get it to run smart tests on the disk (do I need to stop the array?) and I didn't want to stop the array or do anything more intrusive until I had a clear plan of safe action.

I agree actually the safe course of action would be to just get the array safe and worry about the conversion after.

I get free next day from scan, their 4T Hitachi offering is this one if you think that's the one to get.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/4tb-hgst-0s03665-deskstar-nas-35-hdd-24x7-use-sata-iii-6gb-s-7200rpm-64mb-cache-8ms-ncq-retail-box

unraid_disk_failure.PNG.d173d65a8cc5ec4616f4f88f6f03dafc.PNG

Sounds like a cabling issue. My guess is a reboot would cause the disk to be visible again and allow you to look at its smart attributes. It was kicked from the array and won't suddenly rejoin without rebuilding it into itself. I'd go this route. If what I say above is true, and the smart attributes look fine, I'd recommend replacing the data cable with a locking cable (or at least resecure it) before attempting the rebuild.

Hmm. You ran a correcting parity check? Were those sync errors or drive errors? If they were sync errors, your parity got corrupted, and rebuilding onto itself may very well result in data corruption. But if they were disk errors, the rebuild is appropriate. Post back if they were sync errors and I can offer some suggestions to help avoid data corruption.