7 Gamers in 1 Tower - Behind the Scenes

jonp

Hi

I am here entirely for this 1 system, multiplayer build that linus has done.

I may not need to do a 7 man gaming system but how about 4?

but anyway, from reading the behind the scenes blog, i guess its not ready yet.

Also i am not very clear about unraid. So I have a pc here that i use daily for entertainment like watch videos, surfing, gaming etc, and if I were to convert it

to a unraid server, what does this mean actually? does it mean that now this

pc cannot be used as a "personal pc" and needs to be left aside as a server for other PCs, devices to connect to?

also my pc runs windows. do you install the unraid onto windows or unraid to a fresh pc with no OS?

thanks

Hi Jon,

My biggest question is how you were able to use 7 of the exact same video card in this build, yet in the first "2 Gamers 1 CPU" build they stated that it was essential to use different video cards inorder to correctly route them.... so the question: Multiple Identical Video Cards can be used? Y/N?

If you feel like elaborating or redirecting me to a previous post that explains in more detail I would greatly appreciate it.

Hi Jon,

My biggest question is how you were able to use 7 of the exact same video card in this build, yet in the first "2 Gamers 1 CPU" build they stated that it was essential to use different video cards inorder to correctly route them.... so the question: Multiple Identical Video Cards can be used? Y/N?

If you feel like elaborating or redirecting me to a previous post that explains in more detail I would greatly appreciate it.

Most likely only possible based on changed and updates in unRaid 6.2 version that is not available unless you're some elite rockstar.

What ever happened to the closed beta testing team?

Why doesn't LT just launch this, the feedback would do wonders i would have thought.

If it hasn't passed internal QA, you don't want it.  The positive feedback for the new stuff might 'do wonders', but the negative feedback for the bugs would kill it, ruin trust in LimeTech.  Don't forget that 6.2 is not just the splashy gamer stuff, it's also dual parity, and that HAS to be as verifiably correct as they can make it, before exposing it to others.

Its been long enough now that some feel they could/should drop 6.2 without dual parity functionalty exposed.  Many are itching for current versions of libvirt and docker engines and the constant promise of things being improved in 6.2 has them hungry for it.

But what if its libvirt / docker engine that's the holdup?  We just don't know.  I'd rather something be released that works, than something that's only going to cause problems

Its been long enough now that some feel they could/should drop 6.2 without dual parity functionalty exposed.  Many are itching for current versions of libvirt and docker engines and the constant promise of things being improved in 6.2 has them hungry for it.

But what if its libvirt / docker engine that's the holdup?  We just don't know.  I'd rather something be released that works, than something that's only going to cause problems

We have no idea, because once again we're back to zero communications.

I have some news and I can tell you the dual parity isn't the only thing holding the launch of 6.2. Lots of things are in the process of being implemented or revamped so it will take some time to proper test everything and fix possible bugs. It's a major leap ahead, so I advise patience.

I have some news and I can tell you the dual parity isn't the only thing holding the launch of 6.2. Lots of things are in the process of being implemented or revamped so it will take some time to proper test everything and fix possible bugs. It's a major leap ahead, so I advise patience.

thank you

a few words of the updates is ALWAYS appreciated ;)

It looks like this video where Linus is working with the overclocking has several screenshots and pictures of the new unraid version 6.2 as well. The system stats page and new tab looks pretty sweet! This is new stuff right?

Do you have time references for the video? The one part I saw from skimming through it just using existing dynamix plugins.

• 2 months later...

Please forgive me for this necro but I wonder how did Linus connect multiple keyboards and mice to that one machine? Was it with wireless usb receivers as logitech has passed through to VMs? I don't think there was enough usb ports to connect 14 devices or was it? And what about sound? I recon hdmi audio from each GPU was playing but what if player would like to use mics to talk? 7 pci sound cards pci wouldn't fit since GPUs took 7 PCI slots already and how many more 1x/2x/4x that mobo could have? So again usb stuff? Some kind of virtual sound cards inside VMs?

Could you share some more sikrets? :)