[Support] binhex - Emby

OK, so I've run into one minor issue... My cache disk is filling up quite rapidly.

I have /config mapped to /mnt/cache/appdata/binhex-emby, which is the default and is as all my other containers are mapped.

Within Emby, I do not have a custom cache path set up, which is what I believe I should do. However... I SSH into my unRAID box and I'm seeing .../appdata/binhex-emby/cache in both /mnt/cache and /mnt/user. My appdata share is set to "Use cache disk = prefer", so it can overflow onto the array if necessary.

So I think what I need to do is add a mapping to the docker config something like: /cache -> /mnt/user/embycache, then tell emby to use /cache as its cache path. Does that make sense?

Also, the big issue with the cache dir is this:

image.png.09ad27b21b5ea41b08556ee6c7d63e17.png

5009 itty bitty cache files only account for 52 MB of data, but because of sector sizes they're taking up 4.9GB of actual disk space!

Long story short... does the additional host path in the container pointing to somewhere specifically on the array and not on the cache disk sound like the right way to fix this?

Am I the only one running into this issue? Granted my cache disk is only 240GB, but none of my shares are set to use it (other than appdata) - it's really only hosting my docker.img and docker config files at this point.

Update: on the other hand, I just discovered a big pile of movies that the filebot docker had tucked away that I didn't know existed... :/  That didn't help cache disk utilization. I'll keep an eye on it, but I think that I should be OK for now... I guess I just have to stop NZBGet any time I fire up the fileget docker to ensure it's not stealing away freshly downloaded items.

Edited by FreeMan
3 hours ago, FreeMan said:

However... I SSH into my unRAID box and I'm seeing .../appdata/binhex-emby/cache in both /mnt/cache and /mnt/user.

Those are the same path, just two different ways of getting there. /mnt/user contains everything on /mnt/cache and /mnt/diskX, that's how user shares work.

5009 itty bitty cache files only account for 52 MB of data, but because of sector sizes they're taking up 4.9GB of actual disk space!

Windows THINKS they are taking up that much space, but I seriously doubt they are. If you are curious, you need to figure out the commands to show used space at the actual console.

Hint... du and df. Windows only knows what SMB tells it, which has very little bearing on reality.

Yeah, I think the real issue was all those files that filebot had spirited away in the background... My cache drive went from > 70% used to about 35% where it's sitting now. I don't think it was all in those files, but there were quite a few gig chewed up there.

off to google du & df - thanks for the tip!

It works fine as long as you don't enable nginx authentication on that specific site. I have my emby reverse proxied and it works just fine to android phone apps, don't know about any other apps. The downside is you are relying totally on emby to keep itself secure from hacks, but given how high profile the software is, I figure if it were exploited, it would be newsworthy in the geek community and fixed quickly.

10 hours ago, jonathanm said:

It works fine as long as you don't enable nginx authentication on that specific site. I have my emby reverse proxied and it works just fine to android phone apps, don't know about any other apps. The downside is you are relying totally on emby to keep itself secure from hacks, but given how high profile the software is, I figure if it were exploited, it would be newsworthy in the geek community and fixed quickly.

I guess I haven't been clear enough - I've been doing that a lot lately...

I want to use nginx as the reverse proxy, LE for security and an emby app and that seems to be a combination that doesn't work.

I guess your points about emby's built in security are valid - the drawback is that I have to create a good, strong password for my users (since none of them are at my house to enter their own password), or have them pick one and send it to me. With LE, I had them pick their own passwords and encrypt them, then send me the encrypted results which I put in .htaccess.

I guess this isn't a major crisis, that's how I'd been running services for them before emby came along (well, before I switched to emby...), I was just hoping that le/nginx would be a one-stop, single password front door behind which everything else could run password free.

and now, on to the next issue... :(

Yesterday at 17:50 local time, the docker shut down and now I can't get it to restart. This is the last bit of the log file:

2018-01-12 10:25:37,184 DEBG 'emby' stderr output:
ffprobe version 3.4 Copyright (c) 2007-2017 the FFmpeg developers
built with gcc 7.2.0 (GCC)
configuration: --prefix=/usr --disable-debug --disable-static --disable-stripping --enable-avisynth --enable-avresample --enable-fontconfig --enable-gmp --enable-gnutls --enable-gpl --enable-ladspa --enable-libass --enable-libbluray --enable-libfreetype --enable-libfribidi --enable-libgsm --enable-libiec61883 --enable-libmodplug --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopencore_amrnb --enable-libopencore_amrwb --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-libopus --enable-libpulse --enable-libsoxr --enable-libspeex --enable-libssh --enable-libtheora --enable-libv4l2 --enable-libvidstab --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libwebp --enable-libx264 --enable-libx265 --enable-libxcb --enable-libxvid --enable-shared --enable-version3

2018-01-12 10:25:37,184 DEBG 'emby' stderr output:
libavutil 55. 78.100 / 55. 78.100
libavcodec 57.107.100 / 57.107.100
libavformat 57. 83.100 / 57. 83.100
libavdevice 57. 10.100 / 57. 10.100
libavfilter 6.107.100 / 6.107.100
libavresample 3. 7. 0 / 3. 7. 0
libswscale 4. 8.100 / 4. 8.100
libswresample 2. 9.100 / 2. 9.100
libpostproc 54. 7.100 / 54. 7.100

2018-01-12 10:25:37,434 DEBG 'emby' stderr output:
file:/media/Sport/V8 Supercars/V8 2010/40 - Round 12, Falken Tasmania Challenge, Symmons Plains - Qal, Races 1-2 (12.11.2010 - 14.11.2010)/Symmons.Plains.Sunday.Race.2.7z.001: Invalid data found when processing input

2018-01-12 17:50:21,972 WARN received SIGTERM indicating exit request
2018-01-12 17:50:21,987 DEBG killing emby (pid 40) with signal SIGTERM
2018-01-12 17:50:21,987 INFO waiting for emby to die
2018-01-12 17:50:22,274 DEBG fd 8 closed, stopped monitoring <POutputDispatcher at 47620398561688 for <Subprocess at 47620398559744 with name emby in state STOPPING> (stdout)>
2018-01-12 17:50:22,275 DEBG fd 10 closed, stopped monitoring <POutputDispatcher at 47620389178400 for <Subprocess at 47620398559744 with name emby in state STOPPING> (stderr)>
2018-01-12 17:50:22,277 INFO stopped: emby (exit status 0)
2018-01-12 17:50:22,277 DEBG received SIGCLD indicating a child quit

I can provide more if needed.

To be fair, there's no need for the .7z file to be there (and I'm going to remove it to see what happens), but this file was at /Sport/V8 Supercars/2010/... and emby processed it just fine. Because of the way it lists directories, I moved it to /Sport/V8 Supercars/V8 2010/... and now it seems to be throwing this error. The 7z archive is fine - I just extracted it to a test directory without error. I don't, however, feel that this is the issue causing the docker to not start...

Any suggestions?

TL;DR:

And... problem solved before posting - I'll put this up in case anyone else runs into a similar issue:

In my attempts to get emby to work behind the secured nginx reverse-proxy, I'd added an extra container variable to the emby config: /certs -> .../appdata/letsencrypt/keys/<somewhere>  That <somewhere> doesn't exist now after the most recent le update and key file rebuild.

Final Resolution:

There was a bug discovered in one of the authentication routines used by LetsEncrypt, so their devs shut off that method and released an update. The LSIO devs grabbed the latest version & released a docker update. That update required some minor configuration changes to make things work again. There are about 5-6 pages of discussion on the lsio-le/nginx support thread in these boards covering it. Since LE wasn't working right, the path pointed to above didn't exist.

Edited by FreeMan
Added the final resolution

I've run into a problem similar to @Frostyfruit mentioned here.

It seems that I can get .mp4 video files recorded on my cell phone to play, but AVIs, MKVs & MP4s from ripped DVDs or TV captures won't play. I get the " No compatible streams are currently available. Please try again later or contact your system administrator for details." error message.

I get loads of ffmpeg-transcode-* log files in //nas/cache/appdata/binhex-emby/logs, so it doesn't seem to be a permissions issue on ffmpeg. I'm attaching a transcode log for an MP4 and an MKV file - I don't see any obvious errors, but I'm not an expert. Both of the files that produced these logs play just fine in VLC on my Win10 box or on my Kodi box, just not in Emby.

I'm sure there's something that I've configured wrong in the Emby setup, but I haven't a clue as to what it might be. You've seen evidence of my entire experience with Emby in the posts in this thread - I'm no expert!

I'm not sure what config or log info might be helpful, but I'm happy to respond to prompting!

ffmpeg-transcode-MP4.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-MKV.txt

Update: I'm getting the failure to play on Win7 with Chrome and Win10 with Firefox. However, it plays just fine on my phone via the Emby app. This works, except that the kids are not going to be connecting via an app due to the inability to work through a password-protected reverse-proxy on the apps...

Further Update: If I connect to Emby locally in my browser, I can play movies just fine. If I try to connect via my external domain name, it doesn't work. This probably explains why the Emby app would play - it's connected via internal IP address

Edited by FreeMan

Hi,

I was using the embyserver container and ran into that problem about play back mentioned earlier. I reverted back to binhex's container as I am using several others of his (thanks binhex & spaceinvader one). One thing I noticed is that under the plugins catalog in binhex's container it does not list the same plugins such as tvthemesongs and a plugin to download trailers locally. Does anybody know how to install them manually, I still have the .dll files from the embyserver container or how to install them from the web interface in binhex's container?

Hi, is there any way to update this docker to the latest version of Emby. My server is currently on 3.2.60 and I keep getting notifications about 3.2.70 which came out on Jan 19th.

I've tried to check for updates and even "Force Update" with no luck.

Edited by unRaide
17 hours ago, unRaide said:

Hi, is there any way to update this docker to the latest version of Emby. My server is currently on 3.2.60 and I keep getting notifications about 3.2.70 which came out on Jan 19th.

I've tried to check for updates and even "Force Update" with no luck.

You have to wait until archlinux repo gets the latest version and then this docker will be updated.

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...
On 10/2/2017 at 12:10 PM, binhex said:

you simply open the unraid webui, go to the docker tab, click on the "check for updates" button, if there is an update you click on "update ready" and let it update, its as simple as that.

edit - and yes this docker image is automagically updated for you when a new stable release is out (possible day or so delay).

Unfortunately, the automatic update system doesn't seem to be working. The docker is on 3.2.60.0. The dashboard says that 3.2.70 came out on Jan 19th, and now it says that 3.3.0 is the latest release. I'm running CA Auto-Update and I just did a manual check for updates, just to be sure.

Could you give the nice folks at aur a poke to see if they can get an update out?

7 hours ago, FreeMan said:

Unfortunately, the automatic update system doesn't seem to be working. The docker is on 3.2.60.0. The dashboard says that 3.2.70 came out on Jan 19th, and now it says that 3.3.0 is the latest release. I'm running CA Auto-Update and I just did a manual check for updates, just to be sure.

Could you give the nice folks at aur a poke to see if they can get an update out?

the automated system is working fine, its the human part that's failing :-), poked the maintainer on arch repo.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have been using binhex-emby, and several weeks ago I noticed when I added a new content, the actors are not showing up anymore just for newly added ones. I have not change any settings other than updating the container via unraid docker update. 

Also, the container is not pulling the right primary image. Most of the time, the container would get the backdrop image and set it as primary. This is only true for the newly added items.

• 2 weeks later...

Having issues playing 4k streams through Emby. Playback don't quite keep up and keeps stopping/buffering. Playing directly through samba works perfect.

No transcoding of course, and i highly doubt bandwidth would be the problem.

(I use Google WiFi and Nvidia Shield with Kodi)

Any idea what might be the culprit?

@binhex

On 3/13/2018 at 6:35 AM, binhex said:

annoyingly, no reaction yet, i can try emailing the guy again, if still no go then i will have to switch to manual or aur install, uggg.

I'm guessing no word yet? (BTW- they're up to 3.3.1.0 now.)

Edited by FreeMan
8 hours ago, FreeMan said:

I'm guessing no word yet? (BTW- they're up to 3.3.1.0 now.)

nope, looks like the emby devs are too busy to deliver, so in that case im going to switch to AUR build, which i didnt really want to do, but hey i will see what i can do.

10 hours ago, FreeMan said:

Success yet? he asks, hopefully...

ok so PIA has been keeping me busy (another story), but ive just punted up a new version, give it a whirl, its a bit bigger than i want, due to having to use full fat ffmpeg, but hey it should work, bonus is this is the unlocked version, i feel a tad uncomfy with that but hey ive kinda been pushed down this route so *shrug*.

13 hours ago, binhex said:

ok so PIA has been keeping me busy (another story), but ive just punted up a new version, give it a whirl, its a bit bigger than i want, due to having to use full fat ffmpeg, but hey it should work, bonus is this is the unlocked version, i feel a tad uncomfy with that but hey ive kinda been pushed down this route so *shrug*.

I'm not sure who PIA is, but, well, that's your business... ;)

Thanks mate!

• Like 1