GPU passthrough and headless

Woet

yes it is possible to passthrough all gpus and run unraid headless. Just telnet or ssh into unraid.

The exception if you have intigrated onboard graphics it is not possible to pass that through at this time.

Also if you have an nvidea gpu as your primary card (and no integrated graphics) then you may have problems passing it through.

I have no integrated graphics, just two nvidia cards (GT 9500 and GTX 970). Right now unRAID is running on the GT 9500 and my VM has the GTX 970 passed through, which works fine. But if I pass through the GT 9500 instead, the screen (that had unRAID on it) turns black and gets no signal.

unfortunately this is an issue that effects nvidea cards.

When in the primary pcie slot they dont passthrough unless you have unraid output on an onboard gpu.

If you changed your gt9500 to an amd  gpu on the primary slot it "should"work together with the gtx970 in the secondary slot.

(also i dont know if you would ever get a gt9500 to passthrough anyway as its quite an old card (2008). I may be wrong though)

When in the primary pcie slot they dont passthrough unless you have unraid output on an onboard gpu.

If you changed your gt9500 to an amd  gpu on the primary slot it "should"work together with the gtx970 in the secondary slot.

(also i dont know if you would ever get a gt9500 to passthrough anyway as its quite an old card (2008). I may be wrong though)

Yea, I'm just using it because I couldn't get it to work having my GTX 970 as primary and passthrough. I wasn't planning

on using it as an actual passthrough GPU. I'll probably just keep it in and dedicate it to unRAID, it doesn't take up much space.

Will AMD cards work then?  I run headless ipmi with no graphics cards.  Do you think a Radeon HD 5870 would work in the primary graphics slot?  I'm wanting to do gpu pass through to a linux mint vm.

Will AMD cards work then?  I run headless ipmi with no graphics cards.  Do you think a Radeon HD 5870 would work in the primary graphics slot?  I'm wanting to do gpu pass through to a linux mint vm.

I think the IPMI actually has a graphics controller, so unraid should be fine using that and allowing pass through. Do you have an ASPEED graphics card listed in the VM GUI? If so, that's the IPMI card.

I think the IPMI actually has a graphics controller, so unraid should be fine using that and allowing pass through. Do you have an ASPEED graphics card listed in the VM GUI? If so, that's the IPMI card.

Yes, the Aspeed is listed there.  So I guess I could actually use an nvidia card then if I wanted?

Yes, the Aspeed is listed there.  So I guess I could actually use an nvidia card then if I wanted?

Yep. It works for me at least.  :)

Yep. It works for me at least.  :)

Thanks, that's really good news. 8)  I've been running linux mint mate 17.3 vm for awhile now but it's been painful just using xrdp.