[Support] ken-ji - Dropbox

On 7/24/2018 at 7:14 PM, ken-ji said:

No fix unfortunately. I'm about ready to give up on this... :(

Could it be the MAC address? Docker MAC addresses are based on the IP address assigned to it, which could change with each server reboot. You can test this by fixing the MAC address using the container --mac-address parameter. Don't have time to try this myself, but just a thought.

4 hours ago, Bumblebus said:

Could it be the MAC address? Docker MAC addresses are based on the IP address assigned to it, which could change with each server reboot. You can test this by fixing the MAC address using the container --mac-address parameter. Don't have time to try this myself, but just a thought.

Tried this already. with a fixed IP and/or fixed mac address. In fact, changing the docker IP and/or mac address doesn't make it drop the link, but a server restart does.

3 hours ago, CHBMB said:

Not to throw a further spanner in the works, but it seems Dropbox are dropping support for all Linux file systems other than unencrypted ext4.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/08/14/dropbox_encrypted_linux_support/

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

Read about this is and read the fine print - anything with xattr support should still work, and AFAIK, XFS has xattr at least....

Edited by ken-ji
Just now, ken-ji said:

Tried this already. with a fixed IP and/or fixed mac address. I fact changing the docker IP and/or mac address doesn't make it drop the link, but a server restart does

Read about this is and read the fine print - anything with xattr support should still work, and AFAIK, XFS has xattr at least....

Yeah, I read that bit too.  Bit disheartening though overall.

On 8/14/2018 at 4:04 PM, ken-ji said:

Tried this already. with a fixed IP and/or fixed mac address. In fact, changing the docker IP and/or mac address doesn't make it drop the link, but a server restart does.

Sounds like they won't support any Linux file system except unencrypted ext4. I received the email from them today that identified my unRAID server using your docker as not compatible beginning November 1. Luckily, I just got Nextcloud running so goodbye Dropbox. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Guys, what does this mean?  (get this when I enter the link to connect the computer to dropbox)

Error

You cannot log in to the Dropbox desktop app because your device is running an unsupported operating system.
You must now be on glibc 2.19 or higher to log back in and use the Dropbox desktop application. We recommend that you update to a supported Linux operating system (Ubuntu 14.04+ or Fedora 21+) or meet the new system requirements.
Additionally, your Dropbox folder will need to be on an ext4-formatted hard drive or partition.

Sorry guys,

Dropbox is going to impose really arbitrary limitations (from my point of view) on the Linux OS and filesystem (EXT4 only) soon or already is. I haven't gotten around to checking but I think this docker is not going to work anymore and moving forward you'll need to use Dropbox in a VM (ugh) or use rclone (I'm leaning on this)

@Squid Maybe its time to flag this docker?

• 4 months later...
On 2/21/2019 at 9:22 AM, jowi said:

I've installed the Dropbox folder on a XFS formatted SSD, and manually upgraded the glibc in the docker to 2.23 using https://slackware.pkgs.org/14.2/slackware-patches-x86_64/glibc-2.23-x86_64-4_slack14.2.txz.html since Dropbox logging was also complaining that it needed a glibc version >2.19 (docker has 2.17) and now it is working again.

Glad you got it fixed. Any chance that you can explain the procedure for manually updating the LIB?  I am having the same issue and need to fix asap.

6 hours ago, jonathanm said:

Since the dev posted here literally a few posts above yours less than 7 HOURS before your comment, what do you think?

Well, since it hasn't been updated with this fix...I wonder why I think that?  Keep your CAPS SLAMS to yourself.   The plugin has been broken for quite a while.  So before I donate to the cause...I asked the question.

Edited by TheExplorographer

Its because of all the warnings from Dropbox about only supporting EXT4 since late 2018, which is not a supported FS for Unraid.

I just updated the entire container to Slackware 14.2 which makes the step mentioned above moot, but I haven't had the time to shake it down.

I'm personally switching to rclone as a plugin, but I'm also studying if it can be used safely as a container.