Great ready to go server on ebay Supermicro, plug and roll

just wanted to post this as I have done a couple of norco 24 disk builds, went cheap on mb and paid big bucks on the hd expansion cards, I can not buy the case and guts for this price  on ebay:

Supermicro 24 Bay Chassis SAS846TQ Server AMD QC 1.80GHz 8GB H8DME-2  250$ and 70 shipping it will support 4 tb disks 

Check it out as the supermicro cases are way better than my norco ones. I purchased one with a faster processor  $289 with 16 gb mem.

I got a second as I was having hd red ball issues with the msi board build.  Not pimping them but hay better than buying a new on sale

norco for 299case, new egg and have to buy mb, mem etc. here's there link http://www.ebay.com/itm/172060378673?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Again I will say with the duel ps the supermicro case is way better. The cards installed let the unit take the big hds. Just saying learn from a person that built 2 norcos.

maybe sold out but check other listings

Just adding, great shipping with molded stryo, I put in the usb stick and all was good, my second is coming  in a day so hope all is same, I am a tech person but

who wants to waste time on config etc, so far it was plug usb in fire it up and good to go, the one i got had a copper heat sink and a hard plastic wind tunnel,  loud yes but have it

in a storage area, as the norcos were just as bad, and lost hearing with them running in the same room. lol

Solid endorsement for this server and this seller.  I purchased two of these from Tams in May 2013.  One is running at this very second as my home's media server. 

Their packaging is beyond excellent.

The machines were pristine. Not a spec of dust inside.  Tiny bit of rack rash.

The machines are built like a tank.  (70-pounds each)

The machines are louder than you can imagine.  (Think hair dryer on high)

No drive screws are included.  If you ask nicely, Tams may have some to include.  (Search Supermicro drive screws, otherwise)

Fully loaded, the machine will use about 250 watts.

I have several 4Tb drives, the rest- 2Tb.  Have had no backplane issues.

Search for Operton 2431 to upgrade to a 6-core processor.  (The 4-core is not exactly a transcoding powerhouse)

Motherboard has an 8-pin EPS power connection. (Your replacement P/S may have a 4-pin ATX plug) 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-ATX-4-Pin-Male-to-EPS-8-Pin-Female-Power-Supply-Adapter-Connector-Cable-/331590243515?hash=item4d345194bb:g:3JEAAOSw-vlVivTl

Bought 5 of these, still have 3.

The good, solid and ready to use.  The bad, yesterday's technology and a snake pit of cables. Not ready to use with the more recent 4 in one 8087 hard drive cabling.  Would take a back plane change. 

Bottom line, if you can use them as is they are great.  I use them as backup servers.  They are woken via ipmi remotely and run for several hours per week. 

just saying if it works and is cheap, who needs cutting edge tech. Remember it's a server not a state of the art gamer comp.

just keeping it real yea it's old school but look at your savings and see above it's a server. When I look at the cpu and ram use on unrad 6 plus it is not even pushing the system.

Just wanted to give a shout out for those who want to save some $$$ and have a great server for little $$$ I wish I found this before investing on a exta norco, best thing that happening is that new egg sold out on the sale deal on the norco for 299 just case and I looked else ware.

compared to putting one together well  you do the math. Just works and I will leave it at that. I see that they are selling so jump on it. Great deal!!Even the base ones rock for 249.99.

They have two of them listed at the $289 price currently:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Supermicro-24-Bay-Chassis-SAS846TQ-Server-AMD-QC-2-2GHz-16GB-H8DME-2-BL002-/172098368315?hash=item2811dcb33b:g:L8cAAOSw-zxWpr8k

Bad part is they do not come with rails. If they are like the older ones they sold years ago those rails are only available in Europe. I bought two sets from a German supplier but had to use a proxy buyer as they would not ship to the states. Probably best to check with Tams before ordering to see which rails this chassis takes if you require the server to be in a server rack.

if you are talking about the one I posted from Tams on ebay 259-289 should be good, as the drives go thru the expansion cards and have worked fine on the 3tb and 4tb

drives I have installed. Don't know about bigger than that. I bought 2 of the 289 ones a have been great. Had a issue on the second one finding the thumb drive but hit the f2 button during boot up and life was good.I too was worried about the back planes but no issue.

https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=18610.0

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=10221

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=28671.0

These threads have a lot of good info on these servers if anyones interested...how to make them quiet / fit a regular power supply.

also this guy is selling 2.4 Ghz hexa core proc for  very good price. i offered him 15 + 15 for shipping so..... $30 for a pair

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/161885812800?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

and you can find another 16gb ram for $15... $45 for 12 cores @ 2.4 Ghz adn 32GB of ram good deal in my books

Hello everyone!

Andy over here at Tamsolutions and just wanted to update all of you who were still wanting one of these servers but thought they had sold out.  The server listing that was originally linked has sold out but we do still have lots of the servers available!  You can just call me at 801-796-1696 or email me at [email protected] if you are interested in them or have any questions.  Here is a run down of what we have

$289.99 plus shipping

Supermicro 24 Bay Chassis SAS846TQ Server AMD QC 2.2GHz 16GB H8DME-2-BL002

Chassis Manufacturer: Supermicro

Backplane: SAS846TQ rev. 3.1

Motherboard: H8DME-2-BL002 2.01A (BL002 is only on there are it was a large order so supermicro labeled them specifically)

Processor: 1X Quad-Core AMD Opteron 2.2GHz 2374 HE

RAM: 16GB 4x4GB

RAM Open Slots: 12 Open

Hard Drive : None

# Power Supplies: 2 x 900 W

HD Controller: 3x Supermicro SAT2-MV8

IPMI: SIM1U+ with AOC-USB2RJ45

Optical Drive: None

$279.99 plus shipping

Supermicro 24 Bay Chassis SAS846TQ SATA Server AMD QC 2.10GHz 16GB H8DME-2

Motherboard: H8DME-2 2.01A

Processor: 1X Quad-Core AMD Opteron 2.10GHz 2372 HE

RAM: 16GB 4x4GB

$269.99 plus shipping

Supermicro 24 Bay Chassis SAS846TQ Server AMD QC 1.80GHz 16GB H8DME-2

Processor: 1X Quad-Core AMD Opteron 1.8GHz 2346 HE

RAM: 16GB 8x2GB

RAM Open Slots: 8 Open

$259.99 plus shipping

Supermicro 24 Bay Chassis SAS846TQ Server AMD QC 2.2GHz 8GB H8DME-2

Processor: 1X Quad-Core AMD Opteron 2.2GHz 2374 HE

RAM: 8GB 4x2GB

For shipping costs you can go ahead and click the original link and on the shipping tab you can enter in your zip code to give you a quick shipping cost. 

Please let me know if you have any questions!!

Thanks!

Andy