Docker options for Airplay receiver

You can use Kodi for Airplay-receiver, but it only works properly with older versions of iOS. For the current version of Airplay there are no proper opensource options. Airplay is closed source, so it has to be reverse engineered to be implemented in non-apple, or non-apple-certified software.

• Like 1

Apple approved AirPlay receivers use an authentication chip so that iOS in the sending device knows that the receiver is legitimate.  Of course the details of both the protocol and the authentication are closed to Apple, and the way that the authentication chip is used allows Apple to keep changing some aspects of the protection to make reverse engineering difficult without requiring the receivers to keep updating their firmware.  Of course, they also make a healthy margin from the sales of the authentication chip which is only authorised for sale for use in Apple approved products.  Been there, done that, etc.  Sadly, this results in a constant cat and mouse game for players such as Kodi.

Slightly off-topic but this my setup:

I use the daapd docker to run an "iTunes" music server on my unRaid box.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=44210.0

I can control it by using my iPhone (Remote App) and it will play to multiple Airplay receivers and keep them all in sync so I have whole house audio.

I use a Shairport app on my Windows computer to make it an Airplay receiver.

I use Shairport running on 2 Raspberry Pi devices connected to powered speakers to make them Airplay receivers.

My Yamaha Receiver in my family has Airplay functionality.

And I have Apple TV devices connected to a couple TVs in the house.

I have 8 total zones that I can stream music to, I just have never tried to make my unRaid server one of them.

I can play music to any or all of the devices at the same time, with all the zones in sync and the ability to control each volume level independently or simultaneously, all from my iPhone or iPad.

And I don't have to keep the iPhone connected, it just interfaces to control what is playing when I want to change something (i.e. skip a song).