Separate License Key from Boot drive

SeeDrs

I run unraid in an ESXi VM. Since VM's cannot boot via USB, I have to resort to a virtual disk. It would be nice if I could label my virtual disk UNRAID so that it is mounted to /boot instead of the USB key and continue to use the USB key GUID for licensing.  This would allow for the built-in update process to write directly to the virtual drive. It also it would eliminate all writes to the USB drive extending it's life. I know this can be accomplished many different ways, so i'll throw out the first few idea on how it could possibly be implemented.

Requirement

-------------

Label the USB Key that you want to use for the license as UNRAID_KEY. Boot drive continues to be labeled UNRAID

GUID Selection Logic:

-----------------------

If /dev/disks/by-id/UNRAID_KEY exist then

GUID = dev/disks/by-id/UNRAID_KEY

else

GUID = /dev/disks/by-id/UNRAID

If the UNRAID disk label does't exist during boot up, the system will wait up to 60 seconds for it to show up before giving up and continuing. Assuming the same logic should apply to the drive labeled UNRAID_KEY and is not being used, it would not be acceptable to wait. So the system would not wait by default. Placing an indicator on the boot drive could enable the 60 second wait for UNRAID_KEY. It could even been enabled/disabled from the GUI.

Thx,

SeeDrs