ASUS A78M-E FM2+ with A4-7300 Richland Dual-Core 4.0ghz

I've been cruising the forums lately and wanted to post some learnings regarding an upgrade I just did.

Was running Unraid v5.0-rc8

Before I had

- Biostar G41-M7 that I bought in 2010.

- Intel Celeron 430 Conroe-L single core 1.8ghz cpu.

- G.Skill 2gb (2x1gb) DDR2-800 (PC2 6400) ram.

It was slow, but it worked fine. Over the years I upgraded hard drives from 500gb to 4TB and needed to take advantage of SATA III - 6gb/s speeds. To help out I picked up this expansion card - Syba SI-PEX40064 PCI-Express Low Profile Ready SATA III Controller Card and things picked up again.

Raid re-builds took 2-3 days when replacing hard drives, and transfer speeds hovered around 52mb/s. Parity checks were slightly higher around 62mb/s.

I swapped in the parts mentioned in the title.

- Asus A78M-E FM2+ motherboard

- AMD A4-7300 Richland Dual-Core 4.0 ghz CPU

- 2x G.Skill NS 2GB DDR3-1333 (PC3-10555) ram

and the same hard drives I had before. I reinstalled the expansion card for future cache drives (ssd's but need an extra sata power cable first).

I also upgraded to Unraid V6.1.8 and wanted to share the changes.

Its undergoing a parity check now - speed is ~ 124.0MB/s - nearly double from before. Every hard drive is on a SATAIII controller instead of the mix of SATA II and SATA III I had before.

Bottom line - for a cheap upgrade solution - its worth it. Even for a machine that sits in a closet.

• 3 weeks later...