alternative to "top" for system monitoring?

this maybe is a very stupid question for most of you, but after installing itop directly from unmenu, how can i see the monitor.

i couldnt find any new menu or userscript within unmenu

neither could i find a documented way to display the monitor

after installling it, log in via telnet or on the system console and type

iftop

Then, press the letter "p" to get the description of the protocols being monitored.

Or, you can type

iftop -P

I do not know of a way to run it in a way to send its output to the web browser, so no web-interface is possible.  It is a command line interface and expects to dynamically update your screen.

Joe L.

• 2 months later...

this maybe is a very stupid question for most of you, but after installing itop directly from unmenu, how can i see the monitor.

I do not know of a way to run it in a way to send its output to the web browser, so no web-interface is possible.  It is a command line interface and expects to dynamically update your screen.

That's not a real answer....in that almost NONE of the tools have normal web-interface's?!  For example - the 'Disk Performance' tab output's it's same info to the screen...the way that it's used/redirected for the web interface (where it continually updates) should be the same way that iftop can/should be redirected to print it's continually updating info onto the web-interface?  Isn't that the whole beauty of *nix?

I'm not trying to dispute Joe's knowledge - but I'm also hoping for a 'within the UnMenu web interface' output of the iftop info?

Thanks in advance - dave

That's not a real answer....in that almost NONE of the tools have normal web-interface's?!  For example - the 'Disk Performance' tab output's it's same info to the screen...the way that it's used/redirected for the web interface (where it continually updates) should be the same way that iftop can/should be redirected to print it's continually updating info onto the web-interface?  Isn't that the whole beauty of *nix?

I'm not trying to dispute Joe's knowledge - but I'm also hoping for a 'within the UnMenu web interface' output of the iftop info?

Thanks in advance - dave

The bwm-ng program used by the disk performance plugin in unMENU had an output mode that emits "HTML" the markup language that defines web-pages.    It was designed to be flexible.

The iftop program is designed to ONLY output terminal control sequences to position and draw the screen.  You'll just have to use the "telnet" program to access your server and tun iftop there.

If all you want is general network statistics, they can be seen in the new myMain interface... Or,

I just took a minute to clone and edit the disk performance screen to create a new network-performance interface using the bwm-ng program.

It is attached to this post as a zip file.  Unzip it into your unmenu directory with the unmenu files and then re-start unmenu.  It should show up as a new menu choice.

Joe L.

15-unmenu-network_perf.zip

• 2 years later...

It installed correctly, but once I log in and try running

iftop

I get a response that says:

error while loading shared libraries: libpcap.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Any ideas?

UPDATE:

I just found another version, compiled specifically for unRAID, and I am able to open it and see something onscreen, but then it Segmentation Faults and closes. Here's the link to where I found it:

https://code.google.com/p/unraid-weebotech/downloads/list

UPDATE 2:

I found a link with a different version of iftop that works fine! I'm using unRAID 5.0rc12 and it's working perfectly right now. Sweet beans, here's the link:

http://ftp.naist.jp/pub/linuxpackages/Slackware-11.0/Console/iftop/

• 3 months later...
  • 4 years later...