8 cores, 2 10GbE port, all on board!...Also my first build...45W...

It depends on the drive mix; but in general yes, I'd expect speeds better than 20MB/s for writes.  On my D525-based server, I typically get write speeds in the mid-to-upper 30's or even the low 40's (for relatively empty drives where the writes are to the outer cylinders.  All of the drives in that system are 3TB WD Reds.

If you have an older SSD that's not trimmed, it's possible it's actually degrading your performance.  Try setting one of your shares to NOT use the cache, and see what the write speeds are to that.

Thanks for the input, it is an old SSD and using an adapter card in the PCIex16 slot so certainly there could be some issues. However, with cache disabled (albeit still installed on the motherboard and recognized by the BIOS) I get the same write speeds.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I'm considering a new Xeon-D build (lower power D-1520) based on the Asrock D1520D4I board. How are you faring with your build? Are you still encountering the same issues you've posted about here? I'm not particularly experienced with this kind of build--it will be my first server hardware build and I'm wondering if the Xeon D / unRAID pairing is likely to be problematic. Thanks!

Josh