Help choosing a case

jsteinm1

I'm finally on my way to building an unRAID server!  :D

I'm cannibalizing an old computer for this (AMD A6 / microATX mobo). I have two 4TB reds, so initially I only plan to have 4TB storage and will build it out as needed. I'm looking at getting a Norco S5-500 cage as it seems like a good idea for upgrades and drive swaps (although I could hold off since I only have two drives to start). I'm stuck on trying to pick an enclosure though. This will probably sitting out in my office, so I want one that looks good. I like the Thermaltake T31 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133259&cm_re=urban_t31-_-11-133-259-_-Product). It has 3x5.25s for the first drive cage, but if I got to a point where I needed a second drive cage, are cases like these easily modifiable to cut in a second cage?

I'm open to suggestions if anyone has a better case. I saw the Zalman MS800, and functionally it looks nice but I'm not big on how it looks.

Settled in on a Corsair 330R. Case looks nice, should have decent air flow for the Norco cage (hopefully) and seems to fit the bill. I don't think I'll need to worry about jamming in another cage for a few years, so I'll figure out how to cut one in or buy a new case when the time comes. The 5 slots of the cage plus the SSD are going to have the SATA ports on my mobo maxed out anyway, so I'll probably be shopping for a new cpu/mobo by that time as well.

To finish off my build, here is what I have:

Corsair Carbide 330R Black Case

Corsair CX750M PSU

Norco SS-500

GIGABYTE GA-A75M-D2H FM1 (leftover)

AMD-A63500 (leftover)

Corsair DDR3 1866 2x4GB (leftover)

OCZ Agility 3 60GB SSD (leftover)

2x4TB WD Reds

Last on the list is to buy unRAID and get this going :)

Some simple modding my be needed to get the norco cage in. I used a c clamp to press down the tabs that would be used to hold optical drives. My next build wil be in this. The way the drives are mounted you can forgo the norcos and how at least 8 drives.

What is special about that case to forego drive cages? I see it has the 2 position drive mount but otherwise it looks similar to other cases I've had still

What is special about that case to forego drive cages? I see it has the 2 position drive mount but otherwise it looks similar to other cases I've had still

Just bought one myself for to replace an older smaller case.

The nice thing, besides looking good is it's really quiet and the drives are mounted on sleds/carriers that just slide out once you pull the SATA and power cables. They are mounted sideways in the case so the connections are easy to get at under the right side panel.  If you do get it, buy an extra fan for the bottom front if you plan on installing drives there. It'll keep the drives about 4C deg. cooler. I tried mine both ways.

I also have the Zalman MS800 with hot swap cages but if I were to do it again I think I would buy another R5.