FPS drops, stuttering, and other things that make me sad

Once you get above 9 cores, the sorting gets funky (OCD) unless you tell it to do it numerically.

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/*/topology/thread_siblings_list | sort -nu

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once you get above 9 cores, the sorting gets funky (OCD) unless you tell it to do it numerically.

So that lists physical cores with their hyperthreads?

So that lists physical cores with their hyperthreads?

Yes. Although I dont know which number is physical and which is hyperthreaded, but that is how they are paired.

Hi All,

Thanks to the info on this thread, I think I have solved a problem I've been seeing on my 2 Windows 10 VMs.

CPU = Intel E5-2658V3 12-core 24-thread

VM1 = HTPC with AMD HD7770 GPU

VM2 = Workstation with Nvidia GTX760

Before

<vcpupin vcpu='0' cpuset='0'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='1' cpuset='1'/>

VM1 gets 8-core assigned, plays 1080p bluray with SVP (Frame-Interpolator) fluidly

VM2 gets 24-core assigned, stutters like crazy with VM1 is working

After

VM1 gets 6-core assigned:

<vcpu placement='static'>6</vcpu>
  <cputune>
    <vcpupin vcpu='0' cpuset='9'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='1' cpuset='10'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='2' cpuset='11'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='3' cpuset='21'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='4' cpuset='22'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='5' cpuset='23'/>
  </cputune>

VM2 gets 18-core assigned:

<vcpu placement='static'>18</vcpu>
  <cputune>
    <vcpupin vcpu='0' cpuset='0'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='1' cpuset='1'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='2' cpuset='2'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='3' cpuset='3'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='4' cpuset='4'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='5' cpuset='5'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='6' cpuset='6'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='7' cpuset='7'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='8' cpuset='8'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='9' cpuset='12'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='10' cpuset='13'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='11' cpuset='14'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='12' cpuset='15'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='13' cpuset='16'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='14' cpuset='17'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='15' cpuset='18'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='16' cpuset='19'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='17' cpuset='20'/>
  </cputune>

The mapping of vcpupin to cpuset, so that no "cpuset" overlaps between the 2 VMs seems to have done the trick for me.  I did a 1hr quick test on both VM's running CPU/GPU intensive stuff (CAD rendering on VM2 @100% CPU utilization and 1080p Bluray on VM1+SVP with 80% CPU Utilization), they hold up pretty well, and UnRaid dashboard shows around 94% CPU utilization.

Hi Brit i tried your settings and i was getting very low performance what cpu's are you using?

You need to determine your own settings, unless you have exactly the same setup as I do. I'm using 2 of the the $65 8-core 16-thread Xeon E5-2670s

Brit, do you mind performing a test for me involving the dolphin emulator? On my e5 2660v3 with the emulator running a rom in in the background, if I lose focus of the emulator window and move the mouse around the desktop, the sound in the emulator starts to stutter quit badly. I'm convinced it's to do with cpu but want to be sure. This sound/performance issue is not repeatable on a bare metal install. Cheers.

I  thought I had a solution

Background: I used to run i7-4790K (4+4 cores) with GTX970 passed through to 2+2 cores. No problems. "Upgraded" to Xeon E5-2670 (8+8 cores) and HD5450 & R7-260X. Stuttering appeared.

Tried: Different core combinations. No changes

Tried: Different GPUs (passing HD5450, R7-260x). No good

Tried: Swapped out Nvidia GTX650ti. Noticeable INITIAL improvements.. Got 3 mins into a YouTube music video without stutters... But it is back....

I'm gonna try HT off

Very strange.. I've been reading threads all over the place on my symptoms and this one was by far the most informative. Seems like there is a scarcity of information. I recently built my unraid server to take advantage of the NAS + VM functionality for gaming. Got a 6 core E5 1650 xeon, 980 ti, and 32gb ddr4 ram and I boot up the VM and total crap performance. Stuttering, audio feedback, mouse jumping, choppy gaming, etc.. I've tried a few things in here, but not the disabling of HT. I guess I will try that tonight. It's really a shame we have to give up one of the big perks of the intel processor, but if disabling that part makes it functional I guess it is worth it. Will definitely have to keep a close eye on developments to find if a better fix is discovered.

Disabled Hyper Threading and all performance and sound issues are gone in the gaming VM. So weird

How many cores are you allocating to your VM? I found that anything more than 4 cores lead to stutter and generally poor desktop and gaming performance regardless of HT enabled or not. I'm stable as long as I don't use more than 4 cores per VM

So I just disabled hyper-v and pinned cores 1-3 to vm win10 #1 and 4-6 to the other. Fixed audio issues...

Certainly looks like CPU pinning and possibly frequency setting on the cores is the issue.

I'm on unraid 6.2 beta 19. I would love to see LT fix this issue. I really like what they have done in 6.2 ( I can use my gaming mouse and NVME shows up!) but this has got to be keeping some people from effectively using Unraid to game on.

So I just disabled hyper-v and pinned cores 1-3 to vm win10 #1 and 4-6 to the other. Fixed audio issues...

Certainly looks like CPU pinning and possibly frequency setting on the cores is the issue.

I'm on unraid 6.2 beta 19. I would love to see LT fix this issue. I really like what they have done in 6.2 ( I can use my gaming mouse and NVME shows up!) but this has got to be keeping some people from effectively using Unraid to game on.

Not stopping me as long as I don't exceed 4 cores on a VM, even with HT enabled. I will be trying 6.2 soon. I am curious though whether some issues people are having with poor cpu and GPU performance is linked to Xeon processors.

No i'm running an I7 5930k and having these issues. Keep in mind I am trying to run two win 10 gaming vm's both at the same time. It works now without HT enabled but the 4 core limit does not work when both are running at the same time. This is certainly a cpu pinning issue not confined to Xeon procs, lets put that to bed.