Unraid and WDTV Live via usb?

icedragonslair

Not really sure why you want to do this when you can plug your WDTV Live into your network and point it to a share where your media resides?

If you are going to do this, use SMB/SAMBA--- not NFS.  SAMBA and NFS (in this day and age) have almost identical throughput numbers and SAMBA has fewer setup and operational problems. 

The reason i am trying this is that using the network is clunky when it comes to just setting the movie playlist or auto-replay. The WDTV Live will not play a second movie on the network, but it will on an external drive via usb. I am using a 4TB external at this time because of this, when I would much rather have full access to my server collection. I am already using Samba on the server so i am going to give it a shot and hope it works, I will post back after.

Have you considered migrating to another device instead of the WD TV?

Either Plex or Kodi as an app on low power device (Roku/Raspberry Pi/Nexus Player/etc)?

Yes I did, and I use Kodi for my HT and Plex on the go (I have a Plex Pass).  However, trying just to make then replay a single video repeatedly or even dealing with video playlists with either of them is ridiculously time consuming.

And I have not found another device that does what the WD Live does without requiring DLNA, if there is one that allows continuous replay off the unraid server please let me know, beside if this works it won't tax my BW  :)

I used the first generation WDTV, before they had the model with a network port, then I upgraded and then I started using the Boxee Box when it came out, but the interface on the Boxee was sloooowwww. Finally I found out about Kodi and running it on an Asus Chromebox, best thing I ever did. I have a substantially large media collection and the Chromebox has no problems playing any of it. I would suggest you look into running Kodi on a Chromebox, its very simple and works great.

Both of these are expecting to be the host for any USB device you connect to it. unRAID is a NAS (Network Attached Storage), not an external USB drive.

Thank you, I found that out, but is there any way to make this work, or even any devices (that you know of) that will connect directly via USB to the server? Or am I just better off transferring smaller files to the 4TB external I have and trudge along with that for now

Archived