W10 VM - Glitchy Audio AND Mouse AND Others

Just upgraded my 4790K Z97 system to a E5-2670 X79. So from 4 cores at 4.5GHz to 8 cores at 3GHz (and older chip family). I gave the VM 4 physical and 4 HT cores and 8Gb Ram

Now my W10 VM is pretty useless.

If I move the mouse quickly it jumps around like its registered only bits of movement.

If I play a YouTube video I get Buzz/Barp sounds every couple of seconds or more often even when doing nothing else

If I open a couple of Chrome tabs.. well occasionally the VM just stops for a few seconds.

I did the MSI fix. No change. I tried it on other PCI devices. Didnt take for VirtIO Balloon Driver and Intel 82371SB PCI to USB Univ Host controller.

The whole point of getting an 8 core Xeon was so I could run a decent Win10 VM, unRAID and maybe another lesser specced VM.

Any ideas? I'm wondering about putting the machine back to the 4790K :(

I had the same problem, crappy sound. I used a USB headset. Then i switched to HDMI audio -that worked realy well.

Have you tried changing you audio settings??  this is is from jonp, thread about the same problem --  http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=45589.msg435805#msg435805

--------------------------------------------

Right click the audio icon near the clock. Go to playback devices -> right click your device. Go to Advanced and change the Default format to 16 bit, 48000Hz (DVD Quality).

--------------------------------------------

Are you running the same win10 VM or have you made a fresh win10 install?

What type och sound device are you using?

Could be DPC latency issues. I had similar issues, which was fixed after updating my USB3 drivers.

I was also playing around with core assignments last night, after I read a thread about how cores and threads aren't necessarily sequentially paired (ie; 0-1, 2-3, 4-5, etc) - https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=46664.msg446032#msg446032 - and I noticed a performance boost when choosing different cores.

There's no real easy way to work that one out. You can play around with core assignments to see if you notice an improvement. Maybe start at just 1 core+HT, and go from there?