All of my files turn in to read only and I cant erase anything

acegutta22

all my files turned into read only I did not change any setting and when I try to erase a file it says I do not have permission

How are you trying to do this?

What created the files?

Are you actually logging into your server and what is the user name?  (root is excluded from logging onto a share for security reasons.)

One thing to try is look  at your shares from a terminal or PuTTY session.  After logging in, type the following command:

ls /mnt/user  -al

You should see your shares there.  The owner of the shares should be 'nobody' and the group 'users'.  Now  get a list of the files inside one of your shares by hitting the 'up-arrow' key and using the 'right-arrow' and ''left-arrow' add the name (capitalization is IMPORTANT) of one of your shares as exampled in the following:

ls /mnt/user/Media  -al

Again the owner of the shares should be 'nobody' and the group 'users'.  If this is not the case, this is your source of your problem.  Report back with the names and someone will be able to help you. 

What files from what share.  How were those files created?  Can you copy new files over?

all files on any share cache or not

files were downloaded and were able to be erased yesterday

yes I can copy new file over but once they go over the turn into read only and I have to log into midnight commander to delete them

all my files turned into read only I did not change any setting and when I try to erase a file it says I do not have permission

What created the files?

Are you actually logging into your server and what is the user name?  (root is excluded from logging onto a share for security reasons.)

midnight commander is my only way to erase them now

One thing to try is look  at your shares from a terminal or PuTTY session.  After logging in, type the following command:

ls /mnt/user  -al

You should see your shares there.  The owner of the shares should be 'nobody' and the group 'users'.  Now  get a list of the files inside one of your shares by hitting the 'up-arrow' key and using the 'right-arrow' and ''left-arrow' add the name (capitalization is IMPORTANT) of one of your shares as exampled in the following:

ls /mnt/user/Media  -al

Again the owner of the shares should be 'nobody' and the group 'users'.  If this is not the case, this is your source of your problem.  Report back with the names and someone will be able to help you.

What created the files?

ls /mnt/user  -al

ls /mnt/user/Media  -al

is this what you are talking about

login as: root

Last login: Sun Feb 21 21:38:35 2016 from 192.168.1.5

Linux 4.1.17-unRAID.

root@Tower:~# ls /mnt/user  -al

total 7371854

drwxrwxrwx  1 nobody users          80 Mar  5  2012 %LocalAppData%/

drwxrwxrwx  1 nobody users        240 Sep 29 13:22 ./

drwxr-xr-x 10 root  root          200 Feb 21 20:54 ../

drwxrwxrwx  1 nobody users      11072 Feb 21 21:39 Movies/

drwxrwxrwx  1 nobody users        2048 Nov 26 18:06 Music/

drwxrwxrwx  1 nobody users        5136 Feb 20 19:43 TV/

drwxrwxrwx  1 nobody users          48 Sep 23 02:07 Usenet/

drwxrwxrwx  1 nobody users        464 Feb 19 13:04 appdata/

-rw-rw-rw-  1 nobody users 32212254720 Feb 22 15:47 docker.img

drwxrwxrwx  1 nobody users        168 Sep  8 21:48 downloads/

drwxrwxrwx  1 nobody users          48 Dec 21  2011 lost+found/

drwxrwxrwx  1 nobody users          80 Nov 11  2011 sickbeard/

root@Tower:~#

is this what you are talking about

login as: root

Last login: Sun Feb 21 21:38:35 2016 from 192.168.1.5

Linux 4.1.17-unRAID.

root@Tower:~# ls /mnt/user  -al

total 7371854

drwxrwxrwx  1 nobody users          80 Mar  5  2012 %LocalAppData%/

drwxrwxrwx  1 nobody users        240 Sep 29 13:22 ./

drwxr-xr-x 10 root  root          200 Feb 21 20:54 ../

drwxrwxrwx  1 nobody users      11072 Feb 21 21:39 Movies/

drwxrwxrwx  1 nobody users        2048 Nov 26 18:06 Music/

drwxrwxrwx  1 nobody users        5136 Feb 20 19:43 TV/

drwxrwxrwx  1 nobody users          48 Sep 23 02:07 Usenet/

drwxrwxrwx  1 nobody users        464 Feb 19 13:04 appdata/

-rw-rw-rw-  1 nobody users 32212254720 Feb 22 15:47 docker.img

drwxrwxrwx  1 nobody users        168 Sep  8 21:48 downloads/

drwxrwxrwx  1 nobody users          48 Dec 21  2011 lost+found/

drwxrwxrwx  1 nobody users          80 Nov 11  2011 sickbeard/

root@Tower:~#

Second part was to look at ownership/group of the actual files in these user shares.  You do this by the following typical command:

ls /mnt/user/Movies  -al

for the files in your Movies user share.  (To look at the other shares, change the Movies to appropriate name.)  Again, the owner/group S/B 'nobody/users'.

Two other things, Look at the Main tab on the GUI.  Are all of the symbols under the Device column either a gray circle or a green circle?

Are you required to log in when you are using Windows explorer to do your file operations? 

Archived