Thoughts on SYBA SI-PEX40097 16 port card?

I just ordered this card from Newegg. Anyone have any experience and/or tips? Super fast throughput is not my biggest concern. Reliability is.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816124076

For some reason I kept having issues and drive corruption with the AOC-SASLP-MV8. I had downgraded the firmware.... Could be that I bought a couple used ones from eBay. Because I mixed and matched with one new one, I could never figure out what was the cause of my problems.

Thanks,

H.

1 double check your ram with memtest.

2 create hash checksums for all the files using one of the tools.

3 if you are on unRAID 6 reiserfs, you may want to consider migrating to XFS.

I don't have any experience with the card in question.

We've seen many of these corruption or questionable kernel issues because of ram or some lingering internal issue with reiserfs.

We've seen many of these corruption or questionable kernel issues because of ram or some lingering internal issue with reiserfs.

Thank you Weebo.... Good ideas. I will check the RAM. I tried converting one of my many reiser drives to XFS, and this is where I ran into some corruption. It made me not want to switch to XFS and then use the Checksum plugin.

I will let it run Memtest overnight. Thanks again,

H.

That card is based on the Marvell 9215 chipset, which is similar to some of their chipsets known to be buggy when virtualization is enabled.  If you are interested in virtualization, I would make sure from someone with the card that it works fine.  I do believe we have other users with the Marvell 9215 chipset, search for it.

Thank you Weebo.... Good ideas. I will check the RAM. I tried converting one of my many reiser drives to XFS, and this is where I ran into some corruption. It made me not want to switch to XFS and then use the Checksum plugin.

H.

Switch what you can to XFS after the other tests it may only be certain drives that are of issue.

H.

Switch what you can to XFS after the other tests it may only be certain drives that are of issue.

I think I have a plan for that.... It will be very tedious... But I may copy the data from one drive at a time on a separate machine, and the create a new unRAID configuration everytime I add the new formatted drive.... Six of my drives are Reiser..  :o

Thanks again.

H.

Since you already have potential corruption issues, you may want to use md5deep and create the external hash file. (probably on a known good drive)

You can do both, but the bunker or bitrot may stimulate the failures more as they write meta data to the filesystem.

If it were me, I would probably do both, md5deep first, then bunker.

Once you do these you can use rsync to copy them and the md5deep/md5sum or bunker to verify them.

When doing rsync remember the -X argument which will copy the extended attribute.

I would suggest you read through this thread as there are lots of hints and commands that could help.

correct commads to copy to XFS

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=38507.msg357921#msg357921

I would also suggest setting up rsync as a server if going from one host to another.

With the right entries in the rsync client and rsyncd.conf file you can get top speed (for unRAID) over the network.

rsync over ssh is going to be slower.

I've discussed this many times in many threads, but no particular thread comes to mind.

Therefore I would suggest a forum search for rsyncd.conf.

Since you already have potential corruption issues, you may want to use md5deep and create the external hash file. (probably on a known good drive)

You can do both, but the bunker or bitrot may stimulate the failures more as they write meta data to the filesystem.

If it were me, I would probably do both, md5deep first, then bunker.

Once you do these you can use rsync to copy them and the md5deep/md5sum or bunker to verify them.

When doing rsync remember the -X argument which will copy the extended attribute.

I would suggest you read through this thread as there are lots of hints and commands that could help.

correct commads to copy to XFS

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=38507.msg357921#msg357921

I would also suggest setting up rsync as a server if going from one host to another.

With the right entries in the rsync client and rsyncd.conf file you can get top speed (for unRAID) over the network.

rsync over ssh is going to be slower.

I've discussed this many times in many threads, but no particular thread comes to mind.

Therefore I would suggest a forum search for rsyncd.conf.

Ouch.... I have a lot to learn about this. I will go through your recommendations carefully and take your advice. I just rebuilt a drive, and ran the reiserfsck and xfs_repair on them and all are reporting good. 

Thank you Weebo!