Rebooting one VM freezes unraid and other VM

hhs99

Two Windows 10 VM's both with GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 750Ti WINDFORCE 2X OC EDITION. 16gb of ram assigned (server has 64gb of G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4) Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor. 3x3TB Hard drives 2x 480GB SSD's

Something I have noticed is the web interface likes to time out on occasion as well. Don't know if its related or not.

It is almost certainly related to GPU pass through, and the card not properly resetting and resulting in a stuck/frozen condition.

However I'm uncertain of your setup without more info.

I think you may be on to something. I noticed that if I shutdown the VM it hangs and doesnt actually shutdown the vm but windows is dead. How do I fix this?

A couple things to consider here, not all apply, but you should know the current shortcomings:

If you only have Nvidia GPU's (and no iGPU), for whatever reason only 1 can typically be assigned to a running VM, and the other will output the console.

There are many reports of people having this issue attempting to use the primary GPU (Nvidia only), and it not working. This is not the case with AMD, and you can steal it from the console typically without issue (I do exactly this, also X99).

Make certain you are using the latest BIOS and Drivers for your cards.

Some cards behave better than others, it is unfortunately just how it is. This can typically be seen with lag, freezing on guest reboots, unable to power on a previously shut down VM, etc...

If you are now using SeaBIOS, you can try switching to OVMF, and see if this helps. For Windows installations, you cannot do this after installation (it will not boot).

You can attempt to use Q35 instead of i440fx, however with Windows, this will likely prompt you to reactivate.

You can try loading the rom file for your card in the xml.

From http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/UnRAID_6/VM_Management

As a last resort, you can attempt to manually provide the ROM file for your video card by editing the XML for your VM (see below procedure).
Edit XML for VM to supply GPU ROM manually[edit]
From another PC, navigate to this webpage: http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/
Use the Refine Search Parameters section to locate your GPU from the database.
Download the appropriate ROM file for your video card and store the file on any user share in unRAID.
With your VM stopped, click the icon for your VM, then select Edit XML from the context menu.
For SeaBIOS-based VMs
Scroll to the bottom of the XML and locate this line (the host=##:##.# part may look different for you than from the example below):
<qemu:arg value='vfio-pci,host=01:00.0,bus=root.1,addr=00.0,multifunction=on,x-vga=on'/>
Modify this line to supply the ROM file to the VM, like so:
<qemu:arg value='vfio-pci,host=01:00.0,bus=root.1,addr=00.0,multifunction=on,x-vga=on,romfile=/mnt/user/sharename/foldername/rom.bin'/>
Change the path after /mnt/user/ to the actual user share / sub-folder path to your romfile.
For OVMF-based VMs
Scroll to the bottom of the XML and locate this section (the <address> parts may look different for you than from the example below):
     <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes'>
     <driver name='vfio'/>
     <source>
       <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
     </source>
     <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x05' function='0x0'/>
   </hostdev>
After the </source> tag, add the following code:
<rom file='/mnt/user/sharename/foldername/rom.bin'/>
Change the path after /mnt/user/ to the actual user share / sub-folder path to your romfile.
Once done editing the XML, click Update and try starting your VM again to see if GPU assignment works properly.