My First unRAID build: Fractal R4 Xeon Skylake

Hello!

After running Windows for several years and using it for my media storage i finally decided it was time to move along.

So i been looking around for alternatives and found out about Unraid on the Kodi Forum which lead me here,

so started looking around on other peoples builds and asked some of them for advice and they were very helpful!!

The Motherboard, CPU and memory are the new parts and the rest are from my old build.

I been powering it on and of some times using IPMI View and changing some of the bios settings that was recommended in one of the helpful videos, and i just

bought me a copy of Unraid server pro, so now its time to start it for the first time, ill let you know if i get stuck on something.

2hqbcjd.jpg

CASE: Fractal Design R4

Motherboard: SUPERMICRO MBD-X11SSH-LN4F

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 v5

CFAN: Noctua NH-U9B SE2

RAM: 16GB Samsung ECC Un-Buffer

PSU: Fractal Design Newton R3 600W

RAIDCARD: IBM Serveraid M1015 (Flashed to it mode)

HARDDISK COOLER*2:  Scythe SCH-1000 Himuro Hard Disk Cooler

CHASI FANS:  Fractal Design Venturi High Flow Series 140mm Fan

Harddrives:

Parity: 3TB WD Red

Disk 1-9: 3TB WD Red

Cache: 250GB SAMSUNG 850 EVO

Cache 2: 250GB SAMSUNG 840 EVO

Flash drive: Kingston Digital 16GB DataTraveler 3.0

UPS: CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD

Edit: Now i have installed the rest of the HDDs that were missing, and uploaded some new pictures of the server and the cabinet that i´ve made at work for it.

It runs very efficient, idle all drives spun down: 18 watts

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi

Total newbie, I've ust joined the forum and looking for info for my first build.

Is your system stable and working well?

I noticed that the CPU cooler Noctua NH-U9B SE2 is not listed for socket 1151, did it fit ok?

I'm looking at getting a E3-1245 v5 on the same mobo as yours so I have the option for HD graphics, is this required for VM's?

Do you have any more info on wattage?  low usage etc?

Thanks

@dj_sim

Hi, sorry for the late reply.

The system is stable, no problems at all. Its been up 23 days, 22 hours, 16 minutes since i restarted it after upgrading to Unraid 6.1.9.

The CPU cooler fitted the motherboard fine but i had cut some metal away from the chassi it self since the cpu socket is not placed in the same spot

as on other motherboards.

Wattage, still 18w all drives spun down and 27 whit 3 drives spining.

@petsheep 

No problems at all whit the Onboard NIC , only use one of them now and the one for ipmi.

@CrashnBrn

One of the fans on the back of the cabinet makes some noice i noticed think im gonna replace that one. Other then that i can hear the computer a little outside the cabinet so its not completly silent

but since its in our kitchen its not that big problem for us. I might get some sound dampening foam and put in the cabinet (http://www.biltema.se/sv/Bil---MC/Bil-tillbehor/Ljudisolering/Ljuddampningsplatta-2000017199/) that might pick up some of the fan noice. Or i could get some other fans since i think those i have now are a bit overkill for the heat the computer and HDs produces.

Bye for now!

I'm looking at getting a E3-1245 v5 on the same mobo as yours so I have the option for HD graphics, is this required for VM's?

Not sure what you are asking here? He has a supermicro mb, it has built in video (which is more than good enough for console access/etc). If you want to do something similar, you don't need a cpu with built in video. Now, if you get a MB what doesn't have video (or more specifically, requires video from the cpu, like most consumer level motherboards), then you'll want to get a cpu with video or supply an extra video card in a slot (a waste of space/etc).

If you are just concerned about VMs, the onboard graphics usually cannot be passed to a VM anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

• get a mb with onboard video
  • get a mb that uses the cpu graphics, and a cpu like you suggested (E3-12x5 v5 for skylake)
  • if you want a VM with passthrough (like a windows gaming VM), then get a GPU to put in a pci-e slot (in addtion to one of the above optoins)

Nice build, I cheaped out for my upgrade and went haswell instead of skylake.

Looks pretty solid, I guess you like the set it up and forget about it that you are probably at now?

Are you doing any dockers/vms/etc on this? Seems like you have plenty of resources to do some other stuff?

@00b5 

I´m realy satisfied whit the build it works like a charm for what i´m using it for at the moment. (And plenty of horse power for more)

Only run dockers: plex media server , sickbeard (gonna change to sickrage or soonar) and SABnzbd. Gonna install Couchpotato and owncloud to.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Very similar to my recent build - E3-1245v5 / Asus P10S-WS (C236), 1x16GB ECC, 5x4TB WD Reds, 240GB SSD, Seasonic X-660 PSU in a Fractal Define XL case. Mine idles at 33-34w at the wall with all drives spun down, quite a bit more than your 18w, and I'm not using a RAID card. Wonder if it's the PSU or M/B contributing the difference?