Update to Unraid 6 from Unraid 4

kormalan

Hi all,

I have an old Unraid system, version 4 and I update it to Unraid 6.

Because I am not a very Linux expert I have a basic question :

• Now that I have a new USB key with a Basic licence ; how should I proceed to get my array of 4 discs without losing any data

Thanks's for your help.

Hi all,

I have an old Unraid system, version 4 and I update it to Unraid 6.

Because I am not a very Linux expert I have a basic question :

• Now that I have a new USB key with a Basic licence ; how should I proceed to get my array of 4 discs without losing any data

Thanks's for your help.

Which version of 4 to begin with! 

I know there is a school that feels "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" but your problem now is that many of the folks who are providing a lot of the help never even ran any version of 4!  I am one of those.  You should start out by getting a record of the serial numbers of all the data disks and the parity disk.  You will need to know the network setup, passwords, server name.  I have never seen what the GUI looks (if there even is one!) but if there is one get a screen print of every screen and setting that you can find. 

Oh and make a backup of that Flash Drive with version 4 on it and put it in a safe place!!!!!!!!

You really just want to go with a new clean install of v6. Since you are using a new USB just put the old one aside and don't bother trying to copy anything from it. The suggested screenshots will help you when configuring the new installation.

You just need to assign each of your drives exactly to the slots they were in before. Make very sure you don't assign a data disk to the parity slot. If unRAID says any of your data drives are unmountable or unformatted check back with us.

After you get it going and before doing any other settings, go to Tools - New Permissions. You will have to let it go through all your disks and update them to conform to the new security model that was introduced in v5.

After that make any other settings you want. A lot of the basic NAS stuff hasn't changed much at least since v4.7, which is the first version I used.

Agree with starting with a completely "blank" slate with the new v6 flash drive.

Just do the following:

(1)  Print a copy of the Web GUI for v4 so you can easily see all of the disk assignments [Or just save a screenshot on your PC].

(2) Shut down;  remove the v4 USB key and set it aside; then boot to the v6 flash drive.

(3)  Go to the Web GUI for v6, and assign your drives in the same positions they were in before -- be CERTAIN the drive you assign as parity is correct.

(4)  Start the array -- as trurl noted above, if it shows ANY drive as "unformatted" or "unmounted" STOP and don't do anything ... post the specifics here (capture a screen shot and include it).    As long as it starts okay with no problem, just wait for it to do an initial parity sync (a few hours).

(5)  Run the New Permissions tool (as trurl noted) => this will take a while ... just be patient.

Done  :)    You are now running v6 and all of your data is fine.    There are a fair number of configuration options you'll likely want to do at this point; depending on what additional add-ons you were using ... you may need to install some Dockers; change some settings; etc. ... but those are all minor, and you can ask questions here to get assistance as needed.

Thank's for all your answer.

I update from Unraid 4 because my USB key is "dead" and I had not made backup.

After assigning all the hard drives in particular the parity disk (I had made a paper copy of serial number and assignment that I had placed in the server ; I can not do only bullshit ) I started the array and I recovered all my data.

Now I backup everything and I rebuild a new system (Unraid 6, XFS FS, etc.)