How do I change the IP address of my unRAID box?

ashaneil

You can set it to a static address in the webUI under Network Settings. Many people (myself included) prefer to use DHCP and let their router give the devices an address. You can probably configure this in your router to assign certain IP addresses to certain MAC addresses, thus guaranteeing no collisions, everything on the same subnet, and all managed in one place.

• 2 years later...
14 minutes ago, Georgelza said:

I've opened terminal, done a ifconfig, got Ip and tried that via browser, no luck, think route is stuffed, but then the IP it's showing also don't match my DHCP ranged.

How can I switch / change IP address via terminal.

I've tried http://127.0.0.1, no luck.

G

Just for context in case anyone else wants to help, from his other posts it looks like he is virtualizing unRAID. 

it would be easier for anybody to help if you can provide some info about what you are seeing.

just post the output of

ip addr

ip route

and tell us what you expect the network settings to be.

post the diagnostics file if you have that too.

Guys, if all this would be in the diagnostics file, then I'm sorry (not used to what's in the diagnostics zip)

So yes,

This is a VM in virtual box, I'm trying to play with unRaid a bit before I build my NAS, in between unRaid and XPenology.

I have 2 network cards/ports configured/assigned to the VM, 1 x bridged, with a specified MAC address, which is also configured/binded to a specified IP on my router and a 2nd port, simple NAT interface, not binded.

my bridged interface should come up as 192.168.0.30, instead only one interface comes up in terminal br0 with ip 169.254.150.148 and this IP seem to change randomly with every reboot.

Can post diagnostic file as I can't get onto the server, other than the terminal window opened as part of VirtualBox.

where can I find the diagnostic file/information, maybe I can see something there.

where's the network configs, there is no /etc/sysconfig or /etc/networks directories.

G

2 minutes ago, Georgelza said:

Can post diagnostic file as I can't get onto the server, other than the terminal window opened as part of VirtualBox.

where can I find the diagnostic file/information, maybe I can see something there.

where's the network configs, there is no /etc/sysconfig or /etc/networks directories.

‘If you can get to the unRAID console then you can login there and type the ‘diagnostics’ command.     This will result in the diagnostics zip file being stored in in the logs folder on the unRAID usb stick (which should be mounted as /boot at this point).

unRAID runs from RAM so all persistent settings are stored on the USB stick under the config folder and copied into their runtime position as part of the boot process.

2 minutes ago, itimpi said:

‘If you can get to the unRAID console then you can login there and type the ‘diagnostics’ command.     This will result in the diagnostics zip file being stored in in the logs folder on the unRAID usb stick (which should be mounted as /boot at this point).

unRAID runs from RAM so all persistent settings are stored on the USB stick under the config folder and copied into their runtime position as part of the boot process.

hmmm, so ran the diagnostic command, got the zip file created under boot, but now what, i can't ftp, scp or anything to it, and remember this is a vm so the usb in this case is actually a vid file.
G

5 minutes ago, Georgelza said:

hmmm, so ran the diagnostic command, got the zip file created under boot, but now what, i can't ftp, scp or anything to it, and remember this is a vm so the usb in this case is actually a vid file.
G

UnRAID requires a USB stick with a unique GUID to which a license is tied.    Can a vid file satisfy this requirement?   I have no personal experience of using such files.   I thought even when running in emulation mode you attach a physical USB stick to the VM (or at least I always have).

As to getting at the contents of the vid file can you perhaps attach it to a different (working) VM to read its contents?

Edited by itimpi
1 minute ago, itimpi said:

UnRAID requires a USB stick with a unique GUID to which a license is tied.    Can a vid file satisfy this requirement?   I have no personal experience of using such files.   I thought even when running in emulation mode you attach a physical USB stick to the VM (or at least I always have).

As to getting at the contents of the vid file can you perhaps attach it to a different (working) VM to read its contents?

hmmm, to get to where I am,

on MAC

1. Disk utility, erase 4GB USB and assign name UNRAID

2. uncompress unsaid distribution

3. copy all files from distribution to USB stick.

4. execute make bootable on MAC script.

5. transfer USB stick to windows machine and run winImage9 to make a vhd file - named unpaid.vhd.

6 create VM in virtual box, (copied this unpaid.vhd into folder structure, and made it disk 0)

7. ran VM, which kicked the installer off and well basically took me to a login prompt (non gui) or a web page login (gui)

NOT STUCK. - what I miss where.

G

Although you can boot unRAID of a vdisk it will not run correctly without a USB stick conforming to the unRAID standard attached to the VM.     That is where it unRAID is going to check for a license key and where it is going to write settings.    Are you sure you have not got the USB stick you used to make the vdisk still attached to the VM?    If you log into the console command and use the ‘df’ command does it show anything mounted as /boot ?    If not unRAID is not going to run correctly.

1 minute ago, itimpi said:

Although you can boot unRAID of a vdisk it will not run correctly without a USB stick conforming to the unRAID standard attached to the VM.     That is where it unRAID is going to check for a license key and where it is going to write settings.    Are you sure you have not got the USB stick you used to make the vdisk still attached to the VM?    If you log into the console command and use the ‘df’ command does it show anything mounted as /boot ?    If not unRAID is not going to run correctly.

I"m sure...

looking at: https://lime-technology.com/getting-started/ Video clip Initial setup talks about installing key... this seem to imply after you've installed and started unRAID you then have to install a key, this implies there is a web interface or something up, 

otherwise I need to get the key/serial, prob copy it somewhere and then reboot which will then enable the network interfaces, looking/watching the video clip now. will advise.

G

4 minutes ago, Georgelza said:

hmmm, they want you to get a trial key via the web interface, the same one that I can't get working.

G

When I run unRAID under VirtualBox (on Windows) I have the USB stick attached to the VM and everything works fine.   I use that as my test environment.   If you have not got the unRAID USB stick mounted as /boot then the startup sequence is not going to complete successfully.    You will still (eventually) get to the login prompt but not all services will have started correctly and this will include not starting networking.   This could explain why you are having problems.

2 minutes ago, itimpi said:

When I run unRAID under VirtualBox (on Windows) I have the USB stick attached to the VM and everything works fine.   I use that as my test environment.   If you have not got the unRAID USB stick mounted as /boot then the startup sequence is not going to complete successfully.    You will still (eventually) get to the login prompt but not all services will have started correctly and this will include not starting networking.   This could explain why you are having problems.

ok, so i got to use the same stick that I created as a vhd, and configure it as usb as pass through ?

28 minutes ago, itimpi said:

I pass through the USB stick and do not bother with the vhd.    Still having the vhd does give a faster boot.

thanks. just finished the physical build of the HW, because of this with unRaid quickly got XPenology working, will see how this goes. Will still try and play with it in the VM

G

• 1 year later...

Hello, I am having a similar issue as the below quote.

On 3/13/2018 at 9:51 AM, Georgelza said:

I've opened terminal, done a ifconfig, got Ip and tried that via browser, no luck, think route is stuffed, but then the IP it's showing also don't match my DHCP ranged.

How can I switch / change IP address via terminal.

I have navigated within the terminal and tried to connect.

My NAS is not virtualized, and is full tower next to my pc but it is running set up on a network switch due to my wired network needs at this end of the house.

We recently changed out router and my router DCHP has the Router IP as 192.168.2.1 but my NAS is set up to be 192.168.0.129, I do not know how to change this on my NAS to correcnt the 192.168.*2*.(whatever) I think this would probably fix the issue but being that I have no access to the NAS via anything but the Terminal as root and I do not know much about screwing around in terminal.

Thanks for any help!

Edited by Scubadiver
Spelling
9 minutes ago, Squid said:

Boot via GUI mode and you can log in and change it via settings- network.

Barring that, you can edit the file on any other computer /config/network.cfg on the flash drive

Sent via telekinesis

This is where I run into an issue, is this GUI the Web GUI? if so I do not have access to it due to the IP issue.

If it is not the same I will be doing some more googling then as I have not heard of another way to get in.

Thanks!

19 minutes ago, itimpi said:

If you boot in GUImode then you do not need a working network to make the change.

alternatively as was stated just edit the file network.cfg in the config folder on the USB stick - it is just a text file.

That helped! I think it has worked, so much thanks, this was so helpful!

I will reply if I find something else I run into!