unRAID Server release 4.5-beta11 available

limetech

I did delete the original symlinks & re-create them under beta9 and that didn't fix it.

You mean they still work properly under XP but not Snow Leopard?

Mac OS aliases are not exactly the same as symbolic links, but you can create both types.  If you go and explicitly create an alias, it seems to work...

Yes, they work under Windows just fine, but not in Snow Leopard.

I create my symlinks using:-

ln -s /mnt/user/test  /mnt/disk1/data/test

This has worked fine for me in 4.5beta1.  User shares themselves are fine under beta9, but the symlinks are not.  I access my share from Windows, Snow Leopard, Ubuntu & Media Streamers so having different aliases for different devices wouldn't be be ideal for me, however for the purposes of beta testing I'm happy to try...  How do you explicitly create an alias?

Thanks,

Mark.

Here is a solution to this problem.  In the 'config' directory of the flash create a text file named "smb-extra.cfg".  Inside this file add this line:

unix extensions = no

Now Stop/Start array & re-connect the server on your Mac - let me know if this solves the problem for you.

Note: if you want to make sure this change is in effect, after array restarted, go to console or telnet session and type this command:

testparm -sv | grep unix

In the output that follows you should see a line that says:

unix extensions = no

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is duplicate file handling broken in beta 10? I just copied a bunch of files to two different disk shares and didnt see any duplicate file entries in the syslog. Can anyone else confirm? Terracopy say CRC are the same for the files (I think unraid just looks for duplicate path and filenames though).

OK, I've been bad when it comes to debugging by changing from beta9 to beta10 in the middle but maybe someone can help me figure out how to dig myself out of this.

Short Version: I'm seeing a segfault in emhttp when attempting to restore my array configuration

Long Version:

I've been running on a much older motherboard with too little CPU (parity calc used 100% cpu) but it was usable.  After installing an intel pro/1000 performance was much better but after 10-20G of transfers the system would lock up with no messages I could see in the log.  Keyboard dead, no lights.  This was pretty consistent.  I found last night that I was pretty seriously under CPU'd based on recommendations.

So today I decided to pull out one of my newer boards, a Biostar K8T800-A7A that had a Sempron 2800 and two built in sata ports.  After getting the board working and ensuring that it really was faster than my old board I let it sit on memory tests for 2 hours to make sure that there wasn't an obvious problem.  Then I decided to pull it all together and hook up my array using the two onboard SATA and two 2 port via based sata cards (I'd been using them before).

Unraid Beta9 started with no trouble but was obviously unhappy with the array (since the disks moved all over) and when I selected a drive for the parity drive in the web interface, I got dropped to the "unable to connect" page.  As if the system had disconnected from the network but it was still running.  Looking in syslog I see that I had a segfault in emhttp.

So, I shut down as best I could and thought maybe Beta10 is a good idea since it came out so quickly after 9 and I had a bunch of unraid modifications and extra packages installed so I backed up my usb and put Beta10 on it and restored my config directory.

Same behavior.  When selecting a device in the array configuration I get this message in the syslog:

Nov 15 13:33:26 NAS2 kernel: emhttp[1217]: segfault at 0 ip b75b941b sp bfee50f0 error 4 in libc-2.7.so[b758a000+146000]

I'll include the whole log but everything looked so good (and CPU was definitely where I needed more help.

I'd appreciate any help on this I can get - note that I'm running a vanilla Beta10 with a plus license and 6 sata drives.  Previously I had mixed a SiI based 2 port sata card with my two vias, but since this had onboard via, I figured I'd stick to one chipset.

Thanks!

Rob

Is duplicate file handling broken in beta 10? I just copied a bunch of files to two different disk shares and didnt see any duplicate file entries in the syslog. Can anyone else confirm? Terracopy say CRC are the same for the files (I think unraid just looks for duplicate path and filenames though).

Seems to work ok.  Please elaborate.

Here is a solution to this problem.  In the 'config' directory of the flash create a text file named "smb-extra.cfg".  Inside this file add this line:

unix extensions = no

Now Stop/Start array & re-connect the server on your Mac - let me know if this solves the problem for you.

Note: if you want to make sure this change is in effect, after array restarted, go to console or telnet session and type this command:

testparm -sv | grep unix

unix extensions = no

I created the file

smb-extra.cfg

in my config folder, it contains just 1 line reading

unix extensions = no

I've stopped & retarted the server, I've also tried rebooting, but each time running

testparm -sv | grep unix

my result includes

Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE
        unix charset = UTF-8
        unix password sync = No
        unix extensions = [b]Yes[/b]

The symlinks still don't work in Snow Leopard.  In addition they don't show up on my TViX media player either.

Mark.

Short Version: I'm seeing a segfault in emhttp when attempting to restore my array configuration

Found my problem.  Somehow my disk.cfg file got blanked.  My guess is that when the configuration was trying to set the spin down for the drives it was not finding what it was looking for in disk.cfg and segfaulting.  So, after putting the default value in there:

# Disk configuration
spindownDelay=1

I was able to reconfigure the array.  Now running parity... I hope.

Rob

Beta 10 Torrent... Deleted Beta 9 Torrent from previous post

http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?page=torrent-details&id=84b99d72d787a36287557c3777f49c7a2b609098

Cheers,

Matt

EDIT: 4.5-beta9 was pulled and replaced with 4.5-beta10 in order to fix bug in handling passwords for User security mode.  Following notes still apply...

Beta 9 torrent is still being offered and seeded at linuxtracker.org.

Please go into My Panel, scroll to the bottom and delete beta9.

If it's not on the download page, it's probably best not to offer it to anyone else in the torrent community.

unix extensions = no

testparm -sv | grep unix

unix extensions = no

I created the file

smb-extra.cfg

in my config folder, it contains just 1 line reading

unix extensions = no

I've stopped & retarted the server, I've also tried rebooting, but each time running

testparm -sv | grep unix

my result includes

Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE
        unix charset = UTF-8
        unix password sync = No
        unix extensions = [b]Yes[/b]

The symlinks still don't work in Snow Leopard.  In addition they don't show up on my TViX media player either.

Mark.

Sorry... file name should be "smb-extra.conf"  :-[

Found my problem.  Somehow my disk.cfg file got blanked.  My guess is that when the configuration was trying to set the spin down for the drives it was not finding what it was looking for in disk.cfg and segfaulting.  So, after putting the default value in there:

# Disk configuration
spindownDelay=1

I was able to reconfigure the array.  Now running parity... I hope.

System crashed during parity (for some reason) but when I restarted it the disk.cfg file was blank again.  I'm starting to think that it's the new data fields that are causing some grief in my config.  If I configured spin down (and by default set values for the new tuning parameters) then I could configure the array but just having what is above, doesn't seem to be enough.)

Once I'd written those params to the disk.cfg, I was able to edit the devices in the array without crashing emhttp.

I did reinstall my SiL sata card under the chance that the onboard was causing some of my troubles.

This time it crashed right as I tried to start the array.  The log just shows me reconfiguring the array and then importing the configured disks before not responding anymore.  (A partial syslog from a telnet session is included)

Rob

Beta 10 Torrent... Deleted Beta 9 Torrent from previous post

http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?page=torrent-details&id=84b99d72d787a36287557c3777f49c7a2b609098

Cheers,

Matt

EDIT: 4.5-beta9 was pulled and replaced with 4.5-beta10 in order to fix bug in handling passwords for User security mode.  Following notes still apply...

Beta 9 torrent is still being offered and seeded at linuxtracker.org.

Please go into My Panel, scroll to the bottom and delete beta9.

If it's not on the download page, it's probably best not to offer it to anyone else in the torrent community.

OOPS.... Pressed delete to get rid of it, but didn't confirm on the second screen.

Mistake fixed!

Cheers,

Matt

EDIT: The IE window with the confirmation screen has been open for the last 7hrs (approx) just waiting for me to kill it.

But I've worked around that problem and now crash when starting the array.  A tail of the syslog doesn't show anything before the machine is locked up.  I'm thinking that we may have found another completely incompatible board.

Because of the hard crash I thought to use the SiI card to run two of the drives. (It had been running them successfully before) but that wasn't any better.  It would crash at the startup prompt.  So the SiI SATA card just got pulled and for good measure a fresh bios was installed on the motherboard.

But I've worked around that problem and now crash when starting the array.  A tail of the syslog doesn't show anything before the machine is locked up.  I'm thinking that we may have found another completely incompatible board.

Because of the hard crash I thought to use the SiI card to run two of the drives. (It had been running them successfully before) but that wasn't any better.  It would crash at the startup prompt.  So the SiI SATA card just got pulled and for good measure a fresh bios was installed on the motherboard.

No this is a bug in -beta10... -beta11 coming soon.  You can workaround as follows.  After booting server, before doing anything else, go to the Settings page.  If you look at the disk tuning parameters they will appear all blank - just click the Apply button & they should now all show up.  Now you should be able to go to Devices page, assign devices, and not have emhttp crash.

I had figured out how to get around that, unfortunately my board seems to be failing hard after the array is configured correctly and tries to start.  I've even tried rolling back to beta7 (where I came into all this) to see if it is something new but on this board it's a reliable lockup.  If the array doesn't try to start the machine will sit happily for hours.  But soon after start is pressed (or the array starts automatically) it's locked up tight. 

I could modify my go batch file to give me time to get a tail on syslog, but I fear that I won't get much based on what I've been seeing. 

Rob

Seems to work ok.  Please elaborate.

I have just copied a folder from \\tower\disk3\Movies\2012 to \\tower\disk4\Movies\2012, I was expecting to see a duplicate file warning in the syslog? I'm not seeing any such messages.

If I goto \\tower\Movies I see the 2012 folder and its contents. 

It's working again now. Rebooted, re-ran the same test and its working fine. V. Strange.

Nov 16 12:10:03 Tower shfs: duplicate object: /mnt/disk4/Movies/2012/2012a.avi

Nov 16 12:10:03 Tower shfs: duplicate object: /mnt/disk4/Movies/2012/2012b.avi

Nov 16 12:10:04 Tower shfs: duplicate object: /mnt/disk4/Movies/2012/2012a.avi

Nov 16 12:10:04 Tower shfs: duplicate object: /mnt/disk4/Movies/2012/2012b.avi

Does anyone know if the paused I/O on drive spin-up issue (where, if you were playing a video from a spinning disk, that video stream would halt if a file on a spun-down disk was accessed, and resume after the disk completely spun up) is fixed in this release?

beta 8 cleared up this issue for me, I didn't specifically test beta 11 but I don't remember having issues yesterday on beta 10.