Upgrade v5>v6 - Will I keep my plex media server settings?

SkyHead

I installed plex media server by downloading from www.plex.tv 32bit unraid version on unraid 5.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=41061.msg388725#msg388725

I used this guide to  update unRAID, luckily it comes with a reversable way to go back to unraid 5.

(Does this guide update to latest unRAID verrsion?)

Then I tried installing plex media server through two different ways

So I installed the Plex plugin (I think) but now I can't see it on the  Plugins page, what did I do wrong?  This is how I went about it:

1) I went to the "Install Plugin" tab on the Plugins page

2) I pasted the Plex for Unraid 64-bit link into the textbox and pressed Install:

https://downloads.plex.tv/plex-media-server/0.9.11.16.958-80f1748/PlexMediaServer-0.9.11.16.958-80f1748-x64-UnRAID.txz

3) After a couple of minutes I got a popup window with the following:

/usr/local/sbin/plugin install https://downloads.plex.tv/plex-media-server/0.9.11.16.958-80f1748/PlexMediaServer-0.9.11.16.958-80f1748-x64-UnRAID.txz 2>&1

plugin: installing: https://downloads.plex.tv/plex-media-server/0.9.11.16.958-80f1748/PlexMediaServer-0.9.11.16.958-80f1748-x64-UnRAID.txz

plugin: downloading https://downloads.plex.tv/plex-media-server/0.9.11.16.958-80f1748/PlexMediaServer-0.9.11.16.958-80f1748-x64-UnRAID.txz

Warning: simplexml_load_file(): /tmp/plugins/PlexMediaServer-0.9.11.16.958-80f1748-x64-UnRAID.txz:1: parser error : Start tag expected, '<' not found in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.plugin.manager/scripts/plugin on line 171

Warning: simplexml_load_file():  7zXZ in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.plugin.manager/scripts/plugin on line 171

Warning: simplexml_load_file(): ^ in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.plugin.manager/scripts/plugin on line 171

plugin: xml parse error

Then I expected to see the Plex plugin on the screen, but not there!  What did I do wrong? Thanks!

You're actually trying to install a slackware PACKAGE.  What you want to do is either install the docker version http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=37732.0or Phaze's plugin http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=33341.0

I got the same error as this guy got - and followed the marked texts suggestions about trying Phaze's version and install it as a plugin.

Problem was, when I went to settings and was ready to configure PlexMediaServer, the screen was blank, and from the date its an old 2015 version, so I tried the docker way, I then got an "unclaimed server" on www.plex.tv, but that only setup a new server.

So what I want is to keep my old PlexMediaServer, so I dont have to add everything over and over again.

How do I keep my old plex server without having to downgrade to unraid v5? (Which works fine, when I downgrade and install the .txz file by adding it to /boot/extra and rebooting the server.

If you are on 5 already and running PhAzE's plugins it's really easy. Just upgrade to six install the appropriate PhAzE plugin point it to the same locations you did in 5... (so write that stuff down first) and it should read your configuration and library data with no issues.

If you aren't on PhAzE's plugins but want to go to his plugin or want to go to Docker from your current setup you might have to do a little bit of configuration to make this work.

When I went from PhAzE to Docker (and back again... ) the trick is that the path that the Docker I was using and that path that PhAzE expected were slightly different (library vs. Library) and the user that it was running under was slightly different. If that's what you want to do you'll need to give us more about your current config and desired configuration to help make this move.

Having read your comment more closely, here is what I can tell you.

To take your existing library and make it work with PhAzE you might have to go into command line linux navigate to your current library folder Somewhere like

$PLEX_HOME/Library/

Then you are going to want to

ls -l

this should tell permissions and users / groups.

If this is not the same user that PhAzE uses (which you can define) you need to change the user... or else the files aren't readable (which is why it's blank)

The other possible issue is that you don't have them both pointed to the exact same place.

I was running the plex media server app from the page www.plex.tv

and I used the same directories for PhAze

Enable Plex Media Server: No Yes  

Install directory:  /usr/local/Plexmediaserver

Config / Library directory:  /mnt/disk1/apps/Plex

Transcode directory:  /mnt/disk1/apps/Plex/Temp

This is currently my setup.

I'm not quite sure what the Install Directory is supposed to be

root@xxxx:~# cd /mnt/disk1/apps/Plex

root@xxxx:/mnt/disk1/apps/Plex# ls -l

total 0

drwxrwxrwx 3 root users  88 2016-02-27 02:47 Application\ Support/

drwxrwxrwx 8 root users 248 2016-02-27 03:23 Plex\ Media\ Server/

drwxrwxrwx 2 root users  48 2016-02-27 03:23 Temp/

drwxrwxrwx 3 root users  88 2016-02-27 02:29 config/

root@xxxxx:/mnt/disk1/apps/Plex# /mnt/disk1/apps/Plex

I can open the web UI through phaze now, but it only wants to start a New server.

Where should I go from here?

Ok,

Interestingly you don't appear to have an existing Library folder and Plex\ Media\ Server appears to be right below your Plex directory. (Not sure if this is causing an alignment issue between where PhAzE's plugin is configured to expect files to be vs where they are..., this is maybe an issue)

(The \ means there is a space (This is how Plex is set up so don't change it), but causes some interface hoops that you have to jump though  like \'s in Linux, you can navigate to that folder with cd "Plex Media Server" ("" tell it to treat the spaces as part of the same string)

Second question, was your configuration always pointed at disk1? It's really recommended that you run Plex off of a cache disk. You can run it off of an array disk, but that will keep the disk spinning all the time.

Install Directory isn't super important, it's where the actual operating code is extracted and the program is installed, but no configuration data is stored in that location. In the old days this would be extracted to RAM, this allows you to install the program to a persistent location and not to RAM.

The config / Library directory is the one that I think is where  your problems lie.

It appears that it's got read and write permissions (Good) and is assigned to the root user. Is PhAzE's plugin set to run as root? (I think it defaults to nobody instead of root)... if these are not the same then the program won't be able to open the files in your current library and think there is nothing there. (What I think is happening to you.)

After making the changes restart Plex, and it should pick up everything if it's pointed at exactly the right spot, has the proper permissions, and the right user.

Now it doesn't work at all, so I just made a new server, and got the latest update for unRAID and PhAze's addon, I used the .txz from unraid before I knew of PhAze.

Also I tried running from different users, no luck.(On the old server)

Would be good to find a way to upgrade unRAID without affecting my PMS server for the future, but I guess unraid v6 is here to stay.

So a few new questions (sorry I'm new to linux based os)

I don't got a cache drive,

where should I point the following to, if I were to get a cache disk.

Install directory:

Config / Library directory

Transcode directory:

I got a 6TB parity and 5disk that got 20TB altogether.

How large should the cache disk be?

Should I go for SSD or SSHD? Will a 250gb SSD do?

If I run an cache disk, will the temprature for the other disks go down?

How hot can a disk get before I should be worried? One is now at 51c

Now it doesn't work at all, so I just made a new server, and got the latest update for unRAID and PhAze's addon, I used the .txz from unraid before I knew of PhAze.

Also I tried running from different users, no luck.(On the old server)

Would be good to find a way to upgrade unRAID without affecting my PMS server for the future, but I guess unraid v6 is here to stay.

So a few new questions (sorry I'm new to linux based os)

I don't got a cache drive,

where should I point the following to, if I were to get a cache disk.

Install directory:

Config / Library directory

Transcode directory:

I got a 6TB parity and 5disk that got 20TB altogether.

How large should the cache disk be?

Should I go for SSD or SSHD? Will a 250gb SSD do?

If I run an cache disk, will the temprature for the other disks go down?

How hot can a disk get before I should be worried? One is now at 51c

Ok a couple of points. I don't know what happend, you should be good with Plex from here on out. Sorry I couldn't help you get your old databases working.

Your cache disk can be as large or small as you need, I know that's cryptic but really how much data do you write to your array in one day. You want something bigger then that plus a bit more for any application's you want to run.

If you decide to get a cache I recomennd making a Cache Only share (you've got to change this in the settings after making it) called Apps or Applications.

You'd want to point them at the following locations:

Install: /mnt/cache/Applications/Plex/Install

Library/Config: /mnt/cache/Applications/Plex/Library

Temp: /mnt/cache/Applications/Plex/Temp

These are just suggestions.

The cache disk can help you some because taking Plex off of your array disks can allow them to spin down and cool off when they aren't in use. 51c is a bit higher then I would be comfortable with.

Thanks alot for the help - I think I will buy a 1tb sshd for cache. I read the cache drive will improve write speed aswell.

When I change the install, config \ library and transcode directory - will that delete my current watched status on plexmediaserver?

again thanks :)

Thanks alot for the help - I think I will buy a 1tb sshd for cache. I read the cache drive will improve write speed aswell.

When I change the install, config \ library and transcode directory - will that delete my current watched status on plexmediaserver?

again thanks :)

Changing the install and transcode directories won't change anything about your Plex Status (from a plex user perspective), but if you want to keep your current watched status and downloaded meta data you should move the config \library from disk1 to the cache then point the plugin at it's new location on the cache. This shouldn't cause problems. 

Archived