Dismissed server hardware or new?

I'm planning to make a multi-purpose powerful home server running file shares, VMs and all that stuff. I'm just undecided whether to go for more powerful dismissed server stuff(Xeon E5-1650v2) or new less powerful hardware(E3-1231v3) for about the same amount of money. The problem is that I'm going to use a lot of PCI lanes and a lot of CPU power since this server will have to run Plex, streaming multiple 1080p streams at once, surveillance software with 5 3MP IP cameras constantly recording and encoding in H.264 format, OS X Server with Mail, Calendar, Contacts, and Time Machine Services, pascom MobyDick PBX, etc. As for PCIe devices I'm going to be running two basic gpus for the VMs, two dual-port gigabit NICs, an LSI HBA, and a TV tuner. The only thing I'm uncertain of is whether the dismissed server hardware is going to be worth it or if I'm better off buying new hardware. Has anyone had experiences with used server gear?

• 1 year later...

Was there any specific BIOS settings you had to set for UNRAID to work on your P9D/E4L? I moved mine from a supermicro board to this one hand now that im using all the pci-e slots, pike slot used as a x8 for a supermicro san adapter it hangs and wont boot as it goes throug the PCI devices.

3 minutes ago, sk32md said:

Was there any specific BIOS settings you had to set for UNRAID to work on your P9D/E4L? I moved mine from a supermicro board to this one hand now that im using all the pci-e slots, pike slot used as a x8 for a supermicro san adapter it hangs and wont boot as it goes throug the PCI devices.

Wouldn't hold my breath for an answer. This user hasn't been in the forums since 2016. But maybe he'll get an email and come back to answer your question, who knows.

Looks like the PIKE slot can be used as a x8 slot. I currently have an NVME SSD attached to it. Considering its a 4th gen with only x16 total lanes I have a wifi card a 10gb SFP card a firepro GPU an 8 port SAS card and a USB 3 card and I still have 2 regular PCI slots available. 

Huh, never knew the PIKE slot could be used as a normal PCI-E slot.  I have a P9D-E/4L here in a box, with a PIKE 2008, and an E3-1271V3 in it.  Worked great, but the PIKE runs super-hot in a low noise system I run.

It will run again when I move house, in a rack case in the garage, though - need a beefy Windows system for running BlueIris.