[RE-STOCKED] - For Sale 80TB Server (72TB Useable)

danioj

For Sale 80TB Server (72TB Useable)

Note: Please read this noting that I live in Melbourne Australia. A local purchase (Melbourne/Australia) would be preferable. Not sure how practical it would be to sell internationally.

I can't believe I am in this situation BUT I trusted a VERY good friend at the weekend who asked me to get him a copy of my setup. He initially was going to go with FreeNAS but he then changed his mind (should have been my first warning). He liked my setup but wanted more space. His wife unfortunately said No on Sunday and he didn't tell me till this afternoon. Apparently he will get divorced if he goes through with it. I've already paid for the order and my supplier won't refund for "change of mind". I almost feel sick BUT rather than take the guy to VCAT I figured I'd try and sell it and recoup my losses first.

So here it is:

CPU: Intel Xeon Quad Core Processor E3-1241 v3 LGA1150 3.5GHz BX80646E31241V3

Motherboard: Supermicro X10SL7-F

Memory: 32GB 4 x Crucial 8GB (1x8GB), PC3-12800 (1600MHz) ECC Unbuffered

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Titanium

Mechanical Disks: 10 x Seagate 8TB ST8000AS0002 Archive HDD - ST8000AS0002*

Solid State Disks: 3 x Samsung Mz-75E250Bw 850 Evo 250Gb Ssd, 3D V-Nand, Sata Iii 6Gb/S, 2.5"**

USB: Kingston 32GB Data Traveller USB2.0 Flash Drive DT101G2/32GB - DTLPG2/32GB

Power Supply: Corsair HX850i (Modular) 850W 80+ Platinum ATX Model # : CP-9020073

Case Fans: 3 x Noctua NF-A15 PWM 140mm Premium Quiet Quality Fan

Additional Accessories which contribute to the price are quality SATA cables and 2 5.25 inch to 3.5 inch Hard Drives Caddy's. Colour coded Blue for Data, Red for Parity and Black for SSD's.

* Intention was to use 9 for Data and 1 for Parity.

** Intention was to use 3 in a BTRFS Cache Pool or 2 in a Pool and 1 mounted externally (whatever he wanted).

Note: This does not include an unRAID license as I didn't order that. I was going to get him to do it to avoid transferable issues.

If it is going to help me sell this I guess I'd be happy to build, burn test, configure it free of charge. I'd even negotiate with Tom to get an unRAID license for you - I am sure he would help if I am selling a build on.

Price is AUD $6225.50

I think this is probably going to be best going on eBay BUT as almost some therapy I figured it is helping my mental state to at least tell other people about this.

Man, that sucks, so sorry to hear about that situation.....

It's awful when people we consider good friends let us down like that, I only hope that you can continue to be mates at some point down the line, although tbh, I'd be really peeved for a long time about this.

Nice setup though and it'd be an awesome build for someone and very future proof.

Hope you manage to recoup as much of your capital outlay as possible.

Dunno what the laws are like where you are, but in the USA you could refuse delivery of the product and dispute the charge to your CC company. Kind of a jerk move, but it would work here. You might get sued for restocking fees, but chances are they would just eat the loss instead of hassling with it.

Man, that sucks, so sorry to hear about that situation.....

It's awful when people we consider good friends let us down like that, I only hope that you can continue to be mates at some point down the line, although tbh, I'd be really peeved for a long time about this.

Nice setup though and it'd be an awesome build for someone and very future proof.

Hope you manage to recoup as much of your capital outlay as possible.

We shall see. The more time is passing the more PO'd I seem to be getting! I am not sure if I am going to be able to recover the costs. I am considering putting it on eBay as a built and tested brand new box and seeing if someone wants to buy it as such. Not even sure if I have the selling rep to sell 6k though given I only have 19 positive reviews for buying. Sigh. Don't know though. Just annoyed. If I had been in a vicarious financial position this would have hurt me - at least to that I can be thankful.

Dunno what the laws are like where you are, but in the USA you could refuse delivery of the product and dispute the charge to your CC company. Kind of a jerk move, but it would work here. You might get sued for restocking fees, but chances are they would just eat the loss instead of hassling with it.

I paid with my Debit Card which debited the money from my account instantly. In order to dispute this I would have to suggest it was fraudulent to my bank and not a Credit Card company. I think that could get me in more trouble than not seen as I drove past the place, walked in, placed the order and then said. I'd be over in 3 days to collect.

How did you pay? If you paid by credit card, can't you dispute the charge, call your 'friend' a 'client' who had an unfortunate accident and can't buy it anymore, or make something else up.

As I mention above I paid via Debit Card. The money seems to have already gone. I tried to negotiate with them this morning suggesting (without specifics) that I couldn't execute the sell on and could I pay re stocking. It was rejected. They consider it a change of mind which their policy clearly suggests they don't support.

just got to say "No Vaseline"

I know. I'm walking like John Wayne at the moment!

I would part it, reason being unless you get a whale I don't think someone will shell 6k

Yeah I would agree. For example, if you get someone who is knowledgeable enough to build their own server, they would just go through the normal channels of buying hardware (unless the server your selling is a great deal). If the user is not knowledgeable enough to to build their own computer, I highly doubt they would be willing to shell out 6K, it's just too much money for something they don't fully understand.

EDIT: Sorry you're facing this.

Wow !!

I can definitely empathize => about 4 years ago a friend asked me to build her a new computer with certain specs that cost ~ $1500 in parts.    I ordered the parts; they were delivered; and assembled it and called her to get some specifics on how she wanted the user accounts set up (one for her, one for her daughter) ... and she told me she'd changed her mind and didn't need it.    [i ended up returning everything for a 15% restocking fee ... with shipping, restocking fees, etc. I lost about $400 -- and we no longer socialize with that particular "friend."]

Ever since then, I've asked for $$ up front when I need to buy hardware for folks if it's more than a few hundred $$.

If your friend is truly a "VERY good friend" I'd think he would absorb any losses you might encounter in reselling the hardware you bought for him.    Is he aware that (a) you have already purchased the equipment; and that (b) the supplier will NOT accept any returns?  [i suppose I'd also be pretty mad at the supplier -- at least in the US most would accept returns in the first week or two (often up to 30 days) with perhaps a 10-15% "restocking fee".]    There ARE a few exceptions r.e. returns ... for example, SuperMicro motherboards are NOT returnable (unless defective of course).

I suspect your laws are similar to ours with regard to debit cards -- basically you're out of luck.  A debit card does NOT have the same protections that credit cards do ... they're considered the equivalent of cash.

If you're a good customer of your supplier, you might point that out and let them know what a bind your friend has put you in -- offering to absorb a restocking fee if they'll accept a return.    That would at least mitigate your losses -- and if your friend is as good a friend as you indicated, I'd think he'd make an effort to reimburse you for the restocking fee.

It's clear that YOU think of your friend as a "VERY good friend" -- you did, after all, front him over $6000 worth of hardware based on a verbal request to build him a system -- I suspect this episode will prove whether or not HE has the same opinion of your friendship.    I simply don't think a good friend would put you in this situation -- that's why I asked if you have indeed let him know the specifics of the circumstances [i.e. that you've already bought all the gear and the supplier won't take it back].

Hopefully your financial circumstances are robust enough that this isn't really a financial issue for you ... but it's certainly an emotional one.    One "good" thing is that at least the components you bought are all high quality components, so while you may (almost certainly will) lose a good bit in the process of reselling them, at least they're sell.

Do you have any friends who want a good UnRAID server?  That might let you recoup a reasonable % of the basic infrastructure cost [case, CPU, motherboard, memory, power supply, etc.]    Selling the 10 8TB Archive drives in a bundle may be a bit difficult ... but I suspect they'll be fairly easy to sell in small quantities.

I hope I'm wrong, but I suspect you'll no longer be referring to this friend as a "VERY good" one after this episode => hopefully it doesn't completely demolish your friendship.

Yay!!! I refused to "collect" the hardware AND have now managed to negotiate a re-stocking fee of 2%. That is still AUD $125 out of pocket BUT that's better than > 6k!!

I arranged Coffee with the Ops manager of the vendor and explained the situation. He was surprisingly open and suggested 2% for restocking.

I snapped his hand OFF!

I have now "Billed" my "Friend" for AUD $125. Who knows if I will see it, but if our friendship is worth $125. I may even let it go rather than let it become an issue. Life is too short. Needless to say I am happy that I have resolved this issue.

Lesson learned. Won't be doing that again. Money up front.

Thanks to everyone for their concern and posts. It helped me keep a clam head!

I have now "Billed" my "Friend" for AUD $125. Who knows if I will see it, but if our friendship is worth $125. I may even let it go rather than let it become an issue. Life is too short. Needless to say I am happy that I have resolved this issue.

Let me share some advice from personal experience. If you truly want to keep the friendship, let it go. Tell him in jest that you are paid up for his birthday gift, and any dinners out for the next year, but don't keep a mental tab. Just let go.

If, on the other hand, he really hurt you to the point that you can't think about it without wanting to make him hurt in a similar fashion, then keep that $125 tab open, and if he makes good on it you will feel redeemed, if he avoids you then you no longer need to keep it in mind.

Your hurt feelings won't effect him either way, so deal with it however you need to make yourself ok.

I'm very glad you were able to negotiate with the vendor, so at least you have closure on that end of the deal.

Issue was that the friend was willing to "stick" him with the original $6k. The 2% was a lucky chance... The truth is mixing friends w/ money/business is never a good idea.

Yup.... that is pretty sad. "So, I want you to buy all this stuff for me on a whim", "Oh wait.. I am going to get killed for this (because I don't talk to my wife before spending $6K!!). Crap... well better you get screwed than me... I am outta here!!!"

Sounds like a fantastic friend.

I am glad it worked out for the OP though... that would have been a very expensive life lesson.