Node 804 + Seagate Archive 8TB won't work! [wining alert!!!]

Just wanted to warn other Node 804 owners that the Seagate Archive 8TB lack center mounting holes which means that they won't mount in the drive cages. This was all over the internet I noticed/googled it but never thought of it prior to the purchase. :(

So....either change setup or go for expensive PMR drives....*sigh

Is it possible to tap out the cages in line with the mounting holes on the drives? You can usually pick up cheap kits in a superstore. You wouldn't need anything heavy duty for the thin steel on the cages.

The holes don't need to be threaded, just punched in the appropriate place. Problem is, if the cage isn't designed with a hole in that location, there very well may be reinforcing ribs or other obstacles that prevent a drilled hole from being useful.

Pictures of the cage in question with the drive beside it for reference would be helpful here.

Depending on your metalworking abilities, I have a solution for you. Thin strips of steel, with holes at each end that match the spacing of the drive screw holes, and flat head screws in the middle of the strip, appropriately spaced to engage what would have been the middle hole of the drive. Put the strips in the cages so that the threads of the flat head screw protrudes through the mounting hole, and slide the drive between the strips. Put a nut on the exposed threads to secure the strip to the cage, and use the standard cage hole to engage both the back of the strip and the drive. Screw the front of the drive to the strip.

I think this is an excellent pick up and I thank you for posting it! I am not using a Node 804 BUT I have been considering recommending it to others and the use of these Seagate drives IS almost automatic for me in a new unRAID setup these days.

I think this was that important I have added a section to my thread on the Seagate 8TB Shingle Sticky (where most of my test data went) called "Noted Concerns with the drives". Maybe this might be better served being on the initial post BUT I put it in my post for now.

https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=39526.msg386233#msg386233

Excellent Post!

Thank you!

I have thought of another possible workaround as well.

The PSU is located underneath the cages and it should be possible to design a "bumper" which could be placed on top of the PSU as support for the  "2-hole mounted" drives. This could help avoid "rattling" by adding a little upward pressure if/when moving the cage.

No matter what case I have used up the years, if an hard drive have 6holes I have always only used 4, not the 2 in center.

The problem in this case is that only two holes can be used unless an adapter is manufactured. This has to do with the way Fractal Design drive cages are designed. I think the intention is that they should not block airflow and to achieve this on the Node 804, they only use the top and middle holes leaving the lower third of the drive outside the cage. I think that the Node 304 will suffer from the same problem but the drives are mounted in another orientation in that case. I also think that the Define R5 drive sleds will have similar issues but for the holes underneath the drive.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I finally got around to making some brackets for my 8tbs and the 804 case, here’s some pictures in case anyone else needs it for reference

i originally planned to put the brackets inside the drive holder however the fit was too tight so they went on the outside, that’s why I lined them with red felt previously to avoid any marks or heat transfer from the drives

on the holder nearest to the rear fans the bolts were too long and clashed with the fan so luckily I only have 4x 8tbs and mounted them in the other holder 

E6BA1C9A-1A85-46D9-970E-3FA12D44AA56.thumb.jpeg.043286a72180d939f2fd63e0720afc4a.jpeg

02C6878F-FF38-4427-AAFE-DA6ABDB16E5E.thumb.jpeg.b61ef3d9528bb5d8811da5d196e43d14.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2018 at 2:52 AM, Ashe said:

I finally got around to making some brackets for my 8tbs and the 804 case, here’s some pictures in case anyone else needs it for reference

i originally planned to put the brackets inside the drive holder however the fit was too tight so they went on the outside, that’s why I lined them with red felt previously to avoid any marks or heat transfer from the drives

on the holder nearest to the rear fans the bolts were too long and clashed with the fan so luckily I only have 4x 8tbs and mounted them in the other holder 

E6BA1C9A-1A85-46D9-970E-3FA12D44AA56.thumb.jpeg.043286a72180d939f2fd63e0720afc4a.jpeg

02C6878F-FF38-4427-AAFE-DA6ABDB16E5E.thumb.jpeg.b61ef3d9528bb5d8811da5d196e43d14.jpeg

I am going to run into this as well so thanks for the adapter tip!

I have a Node 804 and currently, the only 6TB drives I have found that maintain the old screw layouts are the non-pro WD Red 6TB.

Once I go to 8TBs I will have to make adapters like you did.

3 hours ago, weirdcrap said:

I am going to run into this as well so thanks for the adapter tip!

I have a Node 804 and currently, the only 6TB drives I have found that maintain the old screw layouts are the non-pro WD Red 6TB.

Once I go to 8TBs I will have to make adapters like you did.

Thanks @weirdcrap, credit for the idea is to @jonathanm for his idea above

The thread was 10mm in length, you would need approx. 5mm to avoid the right hand cage clashing with the rear fan, I would put the nut on after the top and bottom fixing if you go with a shorter length so that the bracket flexes enough to show the thread or you need spacers on the bottom fixing.