Unraid and Windows 10 VM - Will my setup be ok?

Hello everyone,

First post here :)

I want to use the NAS feature of Unraid on my setup because of the parity and easy setup, with Windows 10 in a VM.

Windows 10 will mainly be used to general use (office, browsing, managing plex database etc), light Photoshop, Lightroom and Premiere Pro.

Here is my current setup:

Intel I7 6700

Gigabyte GA-H170M-D3H

G.Skill Ripjaws V Red DDR4 2400 PC4-19200 8GB 2x4GB CL15

1x Kingston SSD 128

2x 3TB Seagate 7200

2x 2TB Seagate 7200

I know if i want to use the GPU Passthrough i will need to buy a dedicated card, was thinking of a Nvidia 740 should be enough.

Probably add more 8Gb as well, just to be on the safe side.

The rest (Plex Server, Sickbeard, NZBGET, etc would be on the unraid base.

Another option would be to buy a HP Microserver GEN8 and keep the two separate, but i would like to keep everything in one system.

Do you guys think it will be ok?

Thanks

Looks like an nice setup, but if it was me, I would have get at least 16GB ram, so you can have 8GB alone on windows VM.

I would also have put in an graphic card as you can't pass-thru the internal GPU on the CPU to an VM and Im pretty sure it will be an PITA to use Premier over an VNC connection from another PC.

(in other words, you need an graphic card if you plan to connect an screen directly to the PC for the VM/windows)

:)

I run my Windows 10 VM on a Samsung 256GB SSD with 4GB of ram, two cores and an Nvidia GTX 960 passed through, I can game no problems on full settings and it runs like stink. You might want to try 4GB of RAM to start and see if you need more, the Photoshop and Lightroom might demand more so you may have to increase it to 8GB.