Parity Sync Error

I built my unRAID server on Sunday. I got all my data transferred over by Monday. I attempted to do the parity sync overnight Tuesday but it failed and gave me the following error:

Description: Array has 1 disk with read errors

Importance: warning

Parity disk - XXX (sde) (errors 168)

I read around the forum and tried reseating the cables. I ran it again overnight and got the following error:

Description: Array has 1 disk with read errors

Importance: warning

Parity disk -XXX (sde) (errors 384)

I would think if the drive was bad I would be getting write errors instead of read errors. I currently have 2 other 4 TB drives (HGST NAS ones) and a 500 GB cache. I am attaching the syslog and smart log below. Any help would be appreciated. The errors in the Syslog start around 1:14 am.

Thanks

Edited by lotrfan18
Anonymyzing Data

Here's the problem though. It seems as if the sync is perfectly fine until the very end. Both times the sync has run for close to 6 hours before it fails at 95+%. I'm not sure why smart can't read the disk now, but it seems that other places in the system can see it. Should I try changing out the sata cable and plug it into a different sata port? Also the entire zip is attached.

Edited by lotrfan18
Anonymyzing Data
On 3/3/2016 at 10:01 AM, johnnie.black said:

Disk is offline, you have to power cycle the server and get new diagnostics, but if it happened more than once at the same position it’s probably a bad disk.

Power cycled, took the parity drive off the array, started the array, stopped, then readded the parity and re-ran the diagnostics. See attached.

Edited by lotrfan18
Anonymyzing Data

You could have a disk that's actually bad; or you may be having a memory stability issue.  Remove two of your memory modules and re-initialize the array [ "New Config"] and see if the parity sync completes okay.

You may also want to spend a couple days running pre-clears on the disks to give them a thorough workout before doing this.

Device Model:     WDC WD40EFRX-68WT0N0
Serial Number:    WD-WCC4E83R29CN

Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
# 1  Extended offline    Completed: read failure       10%        70         2589560248

Disk failed SMART test, replace.

• 1 year later...

Hello@johnnie.black I actually started another thread with a similar problem.

Every time I try to start a parity-sync, it fails and shows me a few read errors.

I've pre cleared both data and parity drives, but the problem persists.

Any ideas?

I'll try again this evening with a fresh UNRAID installation and, if it doesn't chance, I'll try with another Mobo.

Thank you,

Sanches.

tower-diagnostics-20170926-1644.zip