(SOLVED) Testing AMD GPU Passthrough

Hi guys,

I had a spare AMD mobo and cpu laying around and wanted to play around with unraid and gpu pass through before I build a high end intel machine for nas and gaming. I was actually hoping to test this on my current i7-2600k machine but it doesn't have vt-d. The amd cpu seemed to report itself as having virtualisation capability so thought I would try it out.

The specs of the test machine are the following.

Mobo: ASRock - FM2A88X Extreme6+

Cpu: A6-6400k

Gpu: Radeon R9 280x

In the info on the top right of unraid it says IOMMU and HVM are enabled. From doing a bit of reading around I have tried adding various combinations of iommu and acs_override in the syslinux.cfg with no luck. The display turns on and posts, begins loading the windows 10 splash and eventually freezes and reboots and then goes through combinations of errors. Any ideas?

append amd_iommu=on iommu=pt iommu=1 vfio_iommu_type1.allow_unsafe_interrupts=1 pcie_acs_override=downstream initrd=/bzroot

Hi guys,

I had a spare AMD mobo and cpu laying around and wanted to play around with unraid and gpu pass through before I build a high end intel machine for nas and gaming. I was actually hoping to test this on my current i7-2600k machine but it doesn't have vt-d. The amd cpu seemed to report itself as having virtualisation capability so thought I would try it out.

The specs of the test machine are the following.

Mobo: ASRock - FM2A88X Extreme6+

Cpu: A6-6400k

Gpu: Radeon R9 280x

In the info on the top right of unraid it says IOMMU and HVM are enabled. From doing a bit of reading around I have tried adding various combinations of iommu and acs_override in the syslinux.cfg with no luck. The display turns on and posts, begins loading the windows 10 splash and eventually freezes and reboots and then goes through combinations of errors. Any ideas?

append amd_iommu=on iommu=pt iommu=1 vfio_iommu_type1.allow_unsafe_interrupts=1 pcie_acs_override=downstream initrd=/bzroot

With my AMD boards and chips, I get nothing but random reboots if I use SeaBios.  Switching to OVMF and everything is rock solid

With my AMD boards and chips, I get nothing but random reboots if I use SeaBios.  Switching to OVMF and everything is rock solid

Thanks Squid. I thought I'd create a new windows 10 vm using OVMF but it doesn't seem to load the windows installation. The vm just boots to a shell. During boot the 'press any key to load cd or dvd' comes up but no keyboard button presses activate it. I am trying to set up the vm through vnc.

Edit: After serveral more vm reboots I managed to get it to start the windows installation media. OVMF seems a bit unreliable in in starting the boot media. Searching around I found how to start it using...

Fs0:

cd efi

cd boot

Bootx64.efi