Installing Subsonic on unRAID

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The search database is built but all searches return with no results.  Is anyone else having this problem?  It used to work on but stopped a few months ago.  I have try a fresh install even to no avail.  I'm running the latest stable subsonic and using the package developed here.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Updating is pretty easy. This was taken from the subsonic forum. http://forum.subsonic.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2392

I have tested this and it works fine for me.

How to update…

1. Download Subsonic Stand-alone. http://www.subsonic.org/pages/download.jsp

2. Unpack subsonic-x.x-standalone.tar.gz files to “/subsonic/standalone/” on the flash drive (you must unzip the .tar to get the real files). Overwrite all the files.

3. Telnet into your server and type "/boot/scripts/subsonic_restart.sh" or reboot your server.

**1 thing to note. Make sure you overwrite the standalone folder and not replace as it already contains a file which is needed that is not in the download copy.

I am running subsonic from the subsonic.sh script.  On the top of the script I have:

SUBSONIC_HOME=/mnt/cache/.subsonic/home

Subsonic runs only from my cache drive.  However, it's scanning an MP3 share that spans all of my drives.  This constant scanning, I assume, is what keeps my drives awake.  I've taken subsonic out of my go script and like clockwork, the drives spundown as they were supposed to.  Conventional wisdom says I should just move my mp3's to one drive (and I very may well do that) but what do I do for the time being?  I'm sure Subsonic has a scanning frequency but I'm also sure that would conflict with my spindown schedule anyway. 

Anyone run into this?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

All works wonderfully but i was wondering if there was a way to change from port 22111? I used to use port 8080 running on a windows machine and could access from behind several corp. firewalls. Now running on unraid using port 22111 and cannot access from 3 different corporations. I can access from my mobile phone and other places not blocking port 22111.

Either way, thanks for this package. I couldn't have done without my subsonic.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anybody upgraded ffmpeg? Been using subsonic with no problems for ages and now i recently upgraded to the new subsonic build (4.6b1) and since then it seems to be using a newer ffmpeg version than i have (says -preset argument is invalid in debug log etc) as the transcoding string has changed.

Is there an easy way to upgrade ffmpeg to a newer version?

• 3 weeks later...

I was wondering if anyone thought about or tried storing the data folder on an array disk? Set SUBSONIC_HOME=/mnt/disk1/subsonic/data and forget about needing to rsync the settings files and trash thumbnails all the time?

I actually like the rsyncing of the data folder from the ramdisk to flashdrive (looks elegant and will only copy the settings file to flash if it's changed), but am concerned that flushing the thumbnails to avoid eating all the RAM will reduce browsing performance. Is this a valid concern or a non-issue?

• 1 month later...

Anyway to change the user that subsonic writes as? The only writing that Subsonic does is podcasts that it downloads, but it saves them with permissions as "Unix Group\root" and "MACHINE\root" which leaves me unable to write to that directory until I run the Fix Permissions script which and take a while.

Updated: sudo -u nobody /location/of/subsonic/start-script

For the latest update, I had my old FFDshow settings written down and just reused them

mp3: ffmpeg -i %s -ab %bk -v 0 -f mp3 -

video: ffmpeg -ss %o -i %s -async 1 -b %bk -s %wx%h -ar 44100 -ac 2 -v 0 -f flv -

Upgrading did run me into a bunch of problems.  It wasn't until I manually ran the subsonic_RAM.sh script manually that it actually started.  The start script and the restart script did not work.  Even reverting back to the old version (replace the standalone folder with the previous working one wouldn't start.  If there is a recommended fix I am all ears as I hate having to manually start things from a command prompt as I tend to forget what I have to do as I reboot so infrequently.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What specfically would I need to change to get this up and running from a cache drive instead of from flash?

Moving the install to the cache drive is not difficult at all, just look at the scripts in the scripts folder and subsonic_RAM.sh in the standalone folder and you will see the references to the path on /boot just change them to where ever you choose to install subsonic. I can give more detail if you like.

I haven't had much trouble running the latest (4.6) subsonic. All the scripts worked fine in this guide. I did start with the subsonic.sh file found in subsonic .zip file (download from subsonic site) and added my config plus the

JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/java

It starts and runs fine just as 4.4 did.

BUT

For some reason every time I restart subsonic (ether reboot or through script) I loose all my settings and subsonic goes back to default. My paths look fine.... Tried this on two machines. What am I missing? I thought I had everything working, good I didn't do too many settings before finding out they get lost. Its late and I'm tired, been bashing at this for 2 days now. I don't really have any reason to go to 5beta but it is a hell of a lot easier to get this installed on...  :(

• 5 months later...

Hey all-

So I am trying to get this running and having some issues.  I followed the directions on the original post (I'm running unRAID 4.7 by the way) and all seems to install correctly, but when I try to open the web page it is unable to access.  I tried opening http://192.168.188.188:22111/subsonic and the web page does not open.  I see the below on the telnet session:

### Create Subsonic tmp Directory ###

mkdir: created directory `/tmp/subsonic'

mkdir: created directory `/tmp/subsonic/ehcache'

root: ### Copy Subsonic ehcache files ###

cp: cannot stat `/boot/subsonic/tmp-subsonic-ehcache/*': No such file or directory

`/boot/scripts/subsonic_delete_thumbs_ram.sh' -> `/etc/cron.hourly/subsonic_delete_thumbs_ram.sh'

Started Subsonic [PID 23371, /var/subsonic/data/subsonic_sh.log]

so it appears to be good.  My unraid server is on the network and is pingable.  I can telnet to unraid on the normal ports, and tried to telnet to port 22111 to see if anything responds and nothing does.

Anyone have any ideas on what to look for?

*EDIT*

When in doubt, reboot.  So I rebooted, but now am getting the 404 error that someone in an earlier post mentioned.  I didn't see a fix for this.

HTTP ERROR: 404

NOT_FOUND

RequestURI=/

**EDIT AGAIN**

Looks like I got it working.  Thanks for reading!

• 9 months later...

Hey all-

So I am trying to get this running and having some issues.  I followed the directions on the original post (I'm running unRAID 4.7 by the way) and all seems to install correctly, but when I try to open the web page it is unable to access.  I tried opening http://192.168.188.188:22111/subsonic and the web page does not open.  I see the below on the telnet session:

### Create Subsonic tmp Directory ###

mkdir: created directory `/tmp/subsonic'

mkdir: created directory `/tmp/subsonic/ehcache'

root: ### Copy Subsonic ehcache files ###

cp: cannot stat `/boot/subsonic/tmp-subsonic-ehcache/*': No such file or directory

`/boot/scripts/subsonic_delete_thumbs_ram.sh' -> `/etc/cron.hourly/subsonic_delete_thumbs_ram.sh'

Started Subsonic [PID 23371, /var/subsonic/data/subsonic_sh.log]

so it appears to be good.  My unraid server is on the network and is pingable.  I can telnet to unraid on the normal ports, and tried to telnet to port 22111 to see if anything responds and nothing does.

Anyone have any ideas on what to look for?

*EDIT*

When in doubt, reboot.  So I rebooted, but now am getting the 404 error that someone in an earlier post mentioned.  I didn't see a fix for this.

HTTP ERROR: 404

NOT_FOUND

RequestURI=/

**EDIT AGAIN**

Looks like I got it working.  Thanks for reading!

dude, it never helps anybody else to finally post sth like "i got it working" or "finally sorted it out" etc... just post what you actually did with sth like "now it's working" / or simply post your solution and set the thread to 'solved'

extremely annoying to pump ppl's brains and once it works not letting anybody know what did it! bad etiquette.

cheers, L