Installing Subsonic on unRAID

Subsonic has been invaluable to me for many years. I see no reason to be limited by a portable mp3 player (or waste money). Most cell phones these days can play music anyhow. Subsonic allows access to your entire music collection, not just what you have on the internal memory of your ipod/whatever. I hope this guide helps others try Subsonic on unRaid for themselves.

Just Get It Working…

1. Unzip Subsonic4.4_unRaid.zip to your flash drive and add the following to your go script...

installpkg /boot/packages_global/jre-6u20-i586-1.txz
/boot/scripts/subsonic_start.sh
/boot/scripts/shutdown_jobs_add.sh

2. Simply telnet into your server and type "/boot/scripts/subsonic_start.sh" or reboot your server.

3. Open a browser and type the URL http://tower:22111/subsonic/ from within your network (default server name). Just replace “tower” in the URL with your IP (or DDNS) to access Subsonic from outside the network. You may need to forward the port (22111) on your router if you are behind a firewall.

(VERY IMPORTANT) All settings in Subsonic will be lost if the files are not copied back to flash before a reboot. It is vital the "subsonic_copy_from_memory.sh" script is run before a shutdown/reboot. A cron job was created in subsonic_start.sh to backup subsonic's files once a day at 7pm (for people who rarely shutdown their server).

If you do not have unMenu installed (everyone should) with the Clean Powerdown package enabled then you should download the package to your flash "/packages_global/" folder and add a line to your go script to install it at the very top of your go script. (eg. installpkg /boot/packages_global/powerdown-1.02-noarch-unRAID.tgz).

NOTE: I use Joe L’s cache_dir script installed which is a great tool to prevent the drives from spinning up when just browsing files. It can be found at http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=4500.0

How to update…

1. Download Subsonic Stand-alone.

2. Unpack subsonic-x.x-standalone.tar.gz files to “/subsonic/standalone/” on the flash drive (you must unzip the .tar to get the real files). Overwrite all the files.

3. Telnet into your server and type "/boot/scripts/subsonic_restart.sh" or reboot your server.

Technical Details…

subsonic_RAM.sh

• This file is a copy of /subsonic/standalone/subsonic.sh. You can open it with your favorite unix editor (here is one: metapad).
  • At the top of the file you will see Subsonic's configuration variables. Add "JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/java" to the top (see below).
  • Optionally you may change the port number, context path, and increased the memory allocated for JAVA (I have a ton of music). The PID.txt path is used by the “subsonic_stop.sh” script.
  • The default podcast and music folder are not needed and can be set later in the Subsonic interface.
  • The Playlist path should be set to a non-volatile memory location. I am saving mine in on the flash drive.
  • Save /subsonic/standalone/subsonic.sh as “subsonic_RAM.sh” in the same directory (eg. /subsonic/standalone/subsonic_RAM.sh). It is important to save this file in unix format (metapad will display this in the status bar).

JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/java
SUBSONIC_HOME=/var/subsonic/data
SUBSONIC_HOST=0.0.0.0
SUBSONIC_PORT=22111
SUBSONIC_HTTPS_PORT=0
SUBSONIC_CONTEXT_PATH=/subsonic
SUBSONIC_MAX_MEMORY=256
SUBSONIC_PIDFILE=/boot/subsonic/PID.txt
SUBSONIC_DEFAULT_MUSIC_FOLDER=
SUBSONIC_DEFAULT_PODCAST_FOLDER=/boot/subsonic/Podcast
SUBSONIC_DEFAULT_PLAYLIST_FOLDER=/boot/subsonic/playlists

jre-6u6-i586-3.tgz

• JAVA JRE runtime needed to run subsonic.

subsonic_start.sh

• Creates the path “/var/subsonic/data” and recursively copies the “/boot/subsonic/data” files here. It then creates symlinks for the transcode dependencies. There is a step to remove thumbnails which I will explain later. This folder needs to be copied back to non-volatile memory.
  • Creates “/var/subsonic/standalone” and recursively copies “/boot/subsonic/standalone” files here. This does not need to be copied back to non-volatile memory.
  • Creates “/tmp/subsonic/ehcache” and copies “/boot/subsonic/tmp-subsonic-ehcache” files. These files are created when Subsonic runs the first time. This folder should to be copied back to non-volatile memory.
  • Copies subsonic_delete_thumbs_ram.sh script to the hourly cron job (explained below).
  • Runs cron_subsonic_copy_from_memory.sh (explained below).

cron_subsonic_copy_from_memory.sh

• Subsonic needs to be copied back to non-volatile memory to maintain settings between reboots. This script adds a cron task which runs subsonic_copy_from_memory.sh. It is scheduled at 7pm daily. Running cron_subsonic_copy_from_memory_undo.sh will remove the entry from crontab.

shutdown_jobs_add.sh

• This hooks into the reboot/shutdown process and runs “shutdown_jobs.sh" before the server shuts down. shutdown_jobs.sh simply calls "subsonic_copy_from_memory.sh" (very important), but other tasks can be added here if needed.

subsonic_delete_thumbs_ram.sh

• This is the hourly script to clean the thumbnails from ram. Subsonic caches album art and since it’s running in ram, you want to make sure this is not taking up unnecessary ram space.

subsonic_exclude.txt

• I recently switched to using rsync instead of copy in subsonic_copy_from_memory.sh. The new search index files subsonic makes doesn't seem to be removed and rsync works much better. This file is what directories can be excluded when backing up from ram.

Compiling your own codecs for transcoding...

I have attached a few already compiled encoders to this post. The instructions are here if you want to add other encoders. Maybe someone can create a slackware package for these? These instructions are for lame, but can be used for each codec.

1. Download the packages needed to compile. Most of them I found at http://www.filewatcher.com/b/ftp/ftp.slackware.org.uk/absolute/absolute-12.2.0/absolute/d.0.0.html. A lot of the main links are broken. I had to use the newest mirror links.

• binutils-2.18.50.0.9-i486-1.tgz
  • cxxlibs-6.0.8-i486-4.tgz
  • gcc-4.2.4-i486-1.tgz
  • gcc-g++-4.2.4-i486-1.tgz
  • glibc-2.7-i486-17.tgz
  • kernel-headers-2.6.27.7_smp-x86-1.tgz
  • make-3.81-i486-1.tgz

2. Create a folder on your flash drive (eg. /packages_compile/) and copy all the packages above to it (no need to unpack these).

3. In a telnet session change to the package directory in step 2 (type: "cd /boot/packages_compile"). Now install each package by typing "installpkg" and the name of the package (type: “binutils-2.18.50.0.9-i486-1.tgz”. Remember <TAB> is your friend. You can simply type "installpkg<space>" and the first few letters of the filename then hit the TAB key to auto complete. Repeat this for each .tgz file from step 1.

4. Download the source code for encoders. Here are links to the pre-compiled ones in the transcode.zip file.

5. Create a folder on your flash drive (eg. /codecs/) and unpack each codec here.

6. In a telnet session, change directory to (type: "cd /boot/codecs/lame-398-2"). Now type each of the commands below, hitting enters after each one.

./configure
make
make install

7. In a telnet session change directory to “/usr/local/bin” path (type: "cd "/usr/local/bin"). You should see a file called "lame" (no extension). Copy the file to the transcode folder inside your SUBSONIC_HOME path. (type: "cp lame /boot/subsonic/data/transcode/lame")

8. You should now be able to set a maximum bitrate per user within Subsonic.

Both FLAC and FAAD required a little more work.

Repeat step 6 and 7 for each encoder. Change directories to “/usr/local/lib/” and move all the codec related files to your flash folder (eg. /subsonic/data/transcode/usr-lib/). My subsonic.start.sh handles creating symlinks to these files in “/usr/lib/”. Use symlinks and don’t copy the files. For FLAC, you need to all files that start with “libFLAC” (you are in “/usr/local/lib/” type: “mv libFLAC* /subsonic/data/transcode/usr-lib/”). And for FAAD you need all files that start with “libfaad” and “libmp4ff.a”. LAME also has library files, but they didn’t seem to be needed for Subsonic to transcode. It only needs to be in the transcode directory.

NOTE: There was a bug introduced in Lame 3.98 (and was not fixed in 3.98-2) which will sometimes cause an error to show up in the Subsonic log “can't update LAME-tag frame”. The lame version included here is version 3.97.

I want to thank Sindre for a great music streaming application (please donate) and everyone on the unRaid forums who helped this linux n00b get his favorite application up and running.  :D

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Trying to work this out now. the JRE linky from Kapperz comes back 505  :( The unMENU package was easy enough but it's jre-6u11-i586-1.tgz which looks potentially different but hey it's a JRE lol. I will poke at this some more on my test box and try to report back. Looks interesting to me!

Kapperz...

It's running and I'm streaming music through my browser right now!!  I'm thinking of donating to get rid of the ads and to get my own license key.  

Under user settings there is a message that "LAME doesn't appear to be installed" next to the 'Max Bitrate' drop-down.  But, it appears that lames exists in the transcode directory.  Did I do something wrong during install?

### Create Subsonic Data Directory ###
### Copy Subsonic Standalone files ###
### Create Subsonic tmp Directory ###
### Copy Subsonic ehcache files ###
cp: cannot stat `/boot/subsonic/tmp-subsonic-ehcache/*': No such file or directory
/boot/scripts/subsonic_start.sh: line 70: /var/subsonic/standalone/subsonic_RAM.sh: No such file or directory

Not sure what's going on here starting this from telnet. I see no subsonic_RAM.sh script anywhere... Thoughts?

DUH! i missed a step - working on fixing it now  ;D This is a file the user must create when installing - gotcha'!

Weird. I created the _RAM script but same error. I see it in /boot area but not in /var where it's being called from. I suspect a boot will clear this all up but my drive I'm clearing is taking FOREVER. I have to copy some data around as soon as this drive is clear and then I can get this show on th eroad maybe.  :D

Edit: Got impatient, copied the file myself. Had to load up metapad to get rid of CR/LF - note that you need to tell it to save in UNIX format otherwise it has the same issues as everything else. I now see there's a WEBserver on my chosen port. However it gives a 404 message which I've copied below. I will reaxmine my config file as I suspect this is the issue. Stumbling along here, slowly getting there!

HTTP ERROR: 404

NOT_FOUND

RequestURI=/

I think at this point my primary deviation from the directions above is using the unMENU package to setup the JRE. Otherwise I'm pretty close to include the config directories. My port is looking to 8000 though. <shrug>

Under user settings there is a message that "LAME doesn't appear to be installed" next to the 'Max Bitrate' drop-down.  But, it appears that lames exists in the transcode directory.  Did I do something wrong during install?

The 'lame' file only needs to be in '/var/subsonic/data/transcode/'. It should be copied into ram with the other codecs. There are some lame related library files (libmp3lame*) in the /usr-lib/ folder and will have symlinks created in /usr/lib/ with all the others. I just double checked by removing those files that lame still works (I just kept them in the .zip incase).

One note: the other codecs needs to be "enabled" in the transcode menu (as admin). Any players created before this is done may need to be also enabled for each player. As admin, go to players and you will see a checkbox for each transcode enabled. Lame is enabled just by having it added to the transcode directory.

cp: cannot stat `/boot/subsonic/tmp-subsonic-ehcache/*': No such file or directory

/boot/scripts/subsonic_start.sh: line 70: /var/subsonic/standalone/subsonic_RAM.sh: No such file or directory

The '/tmp/subsonic/ehcache' directory will be created the first time Subsonic runs and then will be copied to flash (/boot/subsonic/tmp-subsonic-ehcache/) when subsonic_copy_from_memory.sh runs (at 7pm or if hooked into the power-down). The error for the copy command is only a one time thing, but sloppy. I should check for the flash directory. I will fix the script and change the original post.

Weird. I created the _RAM script but same error. I see it in /boot area but not in /var where it's being called from. I suspect a boot will clear this all up but my drive I'm clearing is taking FOREVER. I have to copy some data around as soon as this drive is clear and then I can get this show on th eroad maybe.  :D

You should have it in /boot/subsonic/standalone/subsonic_RAM.sh. It will be copied to '/var/subsonic/standalone/' in subsonic_start.sh.

Edit: Got impatient, copied the file myself. Had to load up metapad to get rid of CR/LF - note that you need to tell it to save in UNIX format

YES - metapad might night be the best, just make sure it says UNIX in the bottom left corner of the status bar  :)

HTTP ERROR: 404

NOT_FOUND

RequestURI=/

I think at this point my primary deviation from the directions above is using the unMENU package to setup the JRE. Otherwise I'm pretty close to include the config directories. My port is looking to 8000 though. <shrug>

Hrm, if you didn't change the 'SUBSONIC_CONTEXT_PATH=/' in subsonic_RAM.sh then you should be able to get to subsonic on your network using http://ipaddress:port/

I just tested this and it worked, but I rebooted. I have had times where all the files seem to be in order, but the login page just won't show up with out rebooting the system. There might be something about linux I don't know about..

Hrm, if you didn't change the 'SUBSONIC_CONTEXT_PATH=/' in subsonic_RAM.sh then you should be able to get to subsonic on your network using http://ipaddress:port/

Well, I DID change it but that is also how i'm expecting to get to it - shoudl I be using another path? Also, I've now run the subsonic_start script a few times. When it comes up it shows a different PID each time. I am thinking I may now have multiple instances running and since my memory is looking a bit low that would seem to support it. I also had midnight commander running in two windows and a thrid Telnet session open as well ;D So umm, I'm closing a few things down. I'll reboot the system as soon as MC is done with one more HEYUGE copy of data. At that point I will have all of my data moved off of the IDE and I can power down, pull drives, and when it comes up see if this all begins working. Won't be tonight however, I'm tired enough as it is and I have a long day tomorrow. Stay tuned, I'll get this yet! It does sort of occur to me that I might be smarter running this on my ION XBMC front-end though (duh). I'll try it out on this first though, this server is also always powered up so I might as well use it <shrug>

Well, I DID change it but that is also how i'm expecting to get to it - shoudl I be using another path? Also, I've now run the subsonic_start script a few times. When it comes up it shows a different PID each time. I am thinking I may now have multiple instances running and since my memory is looking a bit low that would seem to support it.

I've see multiple subsonic PIDs. If this happens, kill them all and run subsonic_start.sh. Sometimes even when I will remove the three ram directories and rerun subsonic_start.sh, subsonic won't display even though a process was started. I don't know why. A reboot fixes this, but really shouldn't need to be done.  ???

I would edit /boot/subsonic/standalone/subsonic_RAM.sh file and copy it to "/var/subsonic/standalone". subsonic_start will only copy the files for each directory (data, standalone, ehcache) if the top directory don't exist in RAM. I did this to prevent coping the files from flash each start, which is kind of a slow process.

Whatever you set 'SUBSONIC_CONTEXT_PATH=/' to will be the end of the subsonic url. Hope you get this working. On your internal network, try the server IP (eg. http://192.168.1.###:8000/) if you left it default.

I guess I should always copy the /boot/subsonic/standalone directory to have changes in subsonic_RAM.sh (or an subsonic version update) changed in RAM each "start". I will update the OP with "scripts_v2.zip later tonight. I'm pretty new to linux so bare with me. It would be idea for subsonic_stop.sh to search the running processes list and kill all subsonic's PIDs. Anyone care to help?

Got it working  ;D I'm using the scripts from the original posting so any changes I've not made yet. I have my music stored on a different server so I may have to move this over there or figure out a way to access that as a share ??? I tend to play with this server and then move good code to the other box when I'm happy. So far this looks pretty neat! I had no issues once I was able to boot the box. I have to yank a pile of drives out of it so I'll be booting it again and can watch messages. It hung on this last reboot and I was worried but it was just that the USB had been switched away as boot device - argh! ::)

Anyway, thank you! I had seen similiar software done on another Linux based device awhile ago and had always wanted to set up something like this. However I had no idea how or what software to even look for. This looks pretty clean and so long as one pays attention to the directions it seems to work well. hopefully others will look at this and help tune up the install process. An unMENU sort of install would rock  ;)

Update: Okay one not so great thing - when I rebooted it came back to the admin interface insecure and wanted me to setup my accounts again. I hadn't setup any other information yet so I don't know what all gets lost aside from this. Would suck to expose this to the 'net and have someone come into it after say a power failure or something. how can I help troubleshoot this?

Update: Okay one not so great thing - when I rebooted it came back to the admin interface insecure and wanted me to setup my accounts again. I hadn't setup any other information yet so I don't know what all gets lost aside from this. Would suck to expose this to the 'net and have someone come into it after say a power failure or something. how can I help troubleshoot this?

The "subsonic_copy_from_memory.sh" script is vital. When you reboot all the settings in the DB are lost. At least the /var/subsonic/data folder needs to be copied back to non-volatile memory. This is why a cron job is added in the go script to run the script once a day and also when the server is rebooted/shutdown. Did you add the hook into the shutdown process?

NOTE: I have unMenu installed (everyone should) on my server with the Clean Powerdown package installed. I have included my “shutdown_jobs.sh” and “shutdown_jobs_add.sh” scripts to add a hook into the shutdown process. This will append a line to run “shutdown_jobs.sh before powering down. You need to add “/boot/scripts/shutdown_jobs_add.sh” to your go script.

My machine S3 suspends each night, but I do reboot often since I'm testing/learning/setting up the server still. Subsonic has been stable with these scripts in place for a few weeks. Although, I'm sure the setup could be improved  :)

I had the two scripts in the CODE block added from yuor instructions - JRE came from unMENU. however upon rereading the directions after that I spotted the shutdown script and have now added that as well. We'll see how it goes, honestly since there's so little music on this machine I'm either going to have to mount a drive on my other or move this now working code to the second machine to access music ;D I'll see how it runs through a few reboots on this one first though - mine don't boot often though normally. Once every few months tops!

Weird, getting a repeating and very annoying message that "prepZooms" is not defined. Cannot find it in page source but it repeats over and over - like there's a page refresh going on that's pulling this up. I may pull the install for now and redo at a later date since this box has little music on it right now or just not access the page till I have time to put music on it. Very weird and Google find little...

Weird, getting a repeating and very annoying message that "prepZooms" is not defined.

I have never seen this error, and there is no mention on the forums. The main page does auto-refresh to display random cover art. Also, each album page has a "zooming" affect when you click the cover art. My unRaid box is fairly stock 4.5b11 install. I have no other packages that should affect subsonic running (iftop, htop, proftpd, jre, ntfs-3g, apcupsd, unMenu). Where are you seeing this error?

• 1 month later...

I found a typo in one of my scripts. It's nothing that would cause Subsonic to not work. The cron_subsonic_copy_from_memory.sh script was scheduling to run the subsonic_copy_from_memory.sh script at 7pm. I used * for the rest of the values which made all the minutes between 7:00pm-7:59pm valid (essentially running the script 60 times). I have fixed this and uploaded scripts02.zip in the original instructions.

WRONG:

* 19 * * * /scripts/subsonic_copy_from_memory.sh

CORRECTED:

0 19 * * * /scripts/subsonic_copy_from_memory.sh

I also updated the subsonic_copy_from_memory.sh script to create the destination folders if they don't exist and to exclude copying the Subsonic source files from RAM (since they don’t change).

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, this customization is fantastic!  I followed the instructions and they worked perfectly.  I haven't yet installed unMenu but Step 8 spelled out what I needed to do in that case.

At first I was a little confused as to why things needed to be copied back to the flash drive.  It is so that anything that has been done with Subsonic (adding users, adding folders, etc) gets carried over in case of a reboot to unRaid right?

I just noticed that a new version of Subsonic is available.  The link in the first post still points to 3.8 (maybe that is an old download page?).  In any case, here's the link to the latest stable release (3.9 right now):

http://www.subsonic.org/pages/download.jsp

What would be the process for upgrading from 3.8 to 3.9?

These may be Subsonic quesitons:

Is it necessary to transcode the files?  Or is transcoding only needed with certain file types?  My audio library is pretty much all mp3.  Are the files streaming to me when I use Subsonic or are they being transcoded to something else first?

Is there a way to stream video via Subsonic?

Thanks triom

I just updated my install from 3.8 to 3.9. The process is fairly simple.

• run the "/boot/scripts/subsonic_copy_from_memory.sh" This will save any changes made.
  • replace all the files in /boot/subsonic/standalone" with the new version (keep the subsonic_start_RAM.sh script)
  • delete "/boot/subsonic/tmp-subsonic-ehcache/" and "/boot/subsonic/data/jetty/" directories from the thumb drive if they exist. (only the jetty folder has the web files)
  • and reboot

Is it necessary to transcode the files?  Or is transcoding only needed with certain file types?

I'm not actually sure which formats will stream, but transcoding is mainly used to lower the bitrate for users with limited upstream bandwidth (until fiber to the home is everywhere). So, no you don't need to use it.

Is there a way to stream video via Subsonic?

There have been a lot of discussion on this and it is possible. Keep in mind Subsonic wasn't designed for video. VLC does work without any changes to Subsonic. You need to make sure to add the extension (.avi, .mp4 or .wmv) in Settings -> General -> Music mask. Also, add the path where the videos are in the music folder settings.

Searching the Subsonic forums here and here will point you in the right direction.

Thanks triom

I just updated my install from 3.8 to 3.9. The process is fairly simple.

• run the "/boot/subsonic/subsonic_copy_from_ram.sh" This will save any changes made.
  • replace all the files in /boot/subsonic/standalone" with the new version (keep the subsonic_start_RAM.sh script)
  • delete "/boot/subsonic/tmp-subsonic-ehcache/" and "/boot/subsonic/data/jetty/" directories from the thumb drive if they exist. (only the jetty folder has the web files)
  • and reboot

Thank you! That seemed to work pretty well :)  

Comments on the upgrade instructions:

- The script to run (quoted above) is actually "/boot/scripts/subsonic_copy_from_memory.sh"

- I didn't have a "/boot/subsonic/data/jetty/" directory

Issue with the original instructions:

- I noticed that the "/boot/scripts/subsonic_copy_from_memory.sh" script wasn't running.  I ran 'crontab -l' and saw that the command there was "0 19 * * * /scripts/subsonic_copy_from_memory.sh".  How can I update that to include "/boot"?

I will definitely look into the video aspects of Subsonic, thank you for the links!

Another general question:

Any idea on whether XBMC can use this Subsonic server as a source?

- The script to run (quoted above) is actually "/boot/scripts/subsonic_copy_from_memory.sh"

Sorry about that. I was writing the instructions at work  :)

- I didn't have a "/boot/subsonic/data/jetty/" directory

The original scripts would copy the jetty folder from RAM. This was not needed since they are created by Subsonic and don't change. I removed this from subsonic_copy_from_memory.sh in scripts02. It saves time too.

Issue with the original instructions:

- I noticed that the "/boot/scripts/subsonic_copy_from_memory.sh" script wasn't running.  I ran 'crontab -l' and saw that the command there was "0 19 * * * /scripts/subsonic_copy_from_memory.sh".  How can I update that to include "/boot"?

Hrm, good catch. You can run "cron_subsonic_copy_from_memory_undo.sh" which has the same [wrong] line. This should remove the line from crontab. Then modify cron_subsonic_copy_from_memory.sh and run it to add the correct line in crontabs (It can be run over and over). I have put scripts03.zip in the original post with these fixes. Replacing the scripts and rebooting will also set things up correctly.

I have not played with XBMC. I'm using a WD TV Live (piece of shit firmware) for my media player. I might do the Revo + XBMC solution if the Popbox doesn't fit my needs in March. If you get it working, post your findings here for all to share.

I have not played with XBMC. I'm using a WD TV Live (piece of shit firmware) for my media player. I might do the Revo + XBMC solution if the Popbox doesn't fit my needs in March. If you get it working, post your findings here for all to share.

I made the changes to the scripts as you suggested - looks great!  ;D

I'll definitely post if I can figure out how to set Subversion up as a source in XBMC.  Just imagine being able to add all your friends' Subversion servers as sources on your XBMC!  Streaming music and video? over SSL? would be sweet given bandwidth wasn't an issue (and maybe in some locales it isn't an issue).

I'll check out the XBMC/Revo thread here.  I installed XBMC Live on my Revo 3610 in December and it works great.