Installing Subsonic on unRAID

Not having luck getting flac transcoding to mp3. Logs dont show any errors. I have the precompiled lame codecs from the first post in  subsonic/data/transocde and even tried putting them in /var/subsonic/data/transcode

Any ideas? I installed 4.2.

So is the problem that the default transcoding is using ffmpeg and that is not included in the transcode zip?

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had a bunch of trouble getting flac transcoding to work as well. I ended up getting things to work by installing ffmpeg and all its dependencies and then copying them over to transcode directory.

Edit your go file to include:

# JAVA Runtime

cd /boot/packages_custom && installpkg *.*

# Run Subsonic and add Backup Job.

/boot/scripts/subsonic_start.sh

/boot/scripts/cron_subsonic_copy_from_memory.sh

/boot/scripts/shutdown_jobs_add.sh

cp /usr/bin/ffmpeg /var/subsonic/data/transcode

Then download http://www.filefactory.com/file/b47f33f/n/ffmpeg.zip and unzip and copy the contents into the packages_custom folder.

Let me know if you have any questions.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey crew! ALERT: super-n00b here.

First, thanks for this guide! I was able to do everything with next to 0 issues. However, when I re-start the unRAID server, Subsonic acts like it's no longer there. Here is what I mean:

the first time i installed everything, i was able to get to subsonic without any trouble using the same URL in the guide:

http://tower:22111/subsonic

upon the next re-start my browser would just return a "404: not found" message.

second restart and i was able to get to subsonic

third time, error 404.

It seems rather peculiar that it's so hit-or-miss and I'm hoping someone here could tell me where to look to see if there is something happening during boot that might be causing an error, or perhaps a timing thing (i saw a post from Joe L. on another subject that mentioned echoing a start command to cron a minute after the emhttp was started in the "go" script).

Any ideas would be very helpful! Thanks,

Jeff

Unless you modified your "go" script to reinstall subsonic on reboot, then it won't be installed when you reboot. unRAID uses an in-memory root filesystem so whatever you do is lost after a reboot, hence the need to repeat the process via the "go" script.

Thanks BRiT, I do have the go script modified to match the one in the tutorial. What I ended up doing was slapping a "sleep 15;" in front of the "subsonic_start.sh" call. It seems to be working OK now whenever I re-start my server. Thanks again for the tips! Everyone on here is so very helpful!

jtallent,

It's strange you had to add a sleep before the "subsonic_start.sh" call in the 'go' script. Everything should just execute in order with linux. Is the JAVA library package being installed before the "subsonic_start.sh" script? When subsonic starts it can take about 15-30 seconds for all the jsp/program files to be populated from the subsonic.war file (even on my 2.9Ghz quad-core).

In any case, if it works, what's an extra 15 seconds :)

I had a bunch of trouble getting flac transcoding to work as well. I ended up getting things to work by installing ffmpeg and all its dependencies and then copying them over to transcode directory.

Edit your go file to include:

# JAVA Runtime

cd /boot/packages_custom && installpkg *.*

# Run Subsonic and add Backup Job.

/boot/scripts/subsonic_start.sh

/boot/scripts/cron_subsonic_copy_from_memory.sh

/boot/scripts/shutdown_jobs_add.sh

cp /usr/bin/ffmpeg /var/subsonic/data/transcode

Then download http://www.filefactory.com/file/b47f33f/n/ffmpeg.zip and unzip and copy the contents into the packages_custom folder.

Let me know if you have any questions.

So one problem I'm having is setting up FLAC to OGG transcoding with preserving tags. I've found that ffmpeg can do it but needs to be complied with libvorbis enabled. Doesnt appear that the ffmpeg compile above includes that. I know just enough to be dangerous with this stuff. How do I go about compiling ffmpeg or getting a binary with libvorbis enabled?

Just wanted to notify anyone following this thread. New search index folders were added by Subsonic v4.2 and needed to be copied back to non-volatile memory.

I update subsonic_copy_from_memory.sh file in scripts04.zip. (/var/subsonic/data/lucene/ has three sub directories). Bold lines were added...

####################

# Copy data files

####################

DIRFROM="/var/subsonic/data"

DIRTO="/boot/subsonic/data"

if [ -d $DIRFROM ]

then

# If the destination folder doesn't exist, create it

if [ ! -d $DIRTO/db ]

then

logger -s "### $DIRTO/db was not found...creating ###"

mkdir -p $DIRTO/db

fi

# If the destination folder doesn't exist, create it

if [ ! -d $DIRTO/lucene ]

then

logger -s "### $DIRTO/lucene was not found...creating ###"

mkdir -p $DIRTO/lucene

fi

echo "### Copy Subsonic From Memory ###"

cp -Rv $DIRFROM/db/* $DIRTO/db/

cp -Rv $DIRFROM/lucene/* $DIRTO/lucene/

cp -v $DIRFROM/* $DIRTO/

sleep 3

fi

Can't seem to find scripts04.zip in the OP's post. I will modify subsonic_copy_from_memory.sh manually and add those lines.

In the process of updating to Subsonic 4.3 with video support  :)

Update: Updated to Subsonic 4.3 and video streaming is working great with the FFmpeg version 0.5.1 included by kapperz in the OP.

Where can I find a pre-compiled FFmpeg 0.6.1?

I have updated the transcode02.zip file in the original post. This updates ffmpeg to version 0.6.1 for use with the video transcoding support of Subsonic v4.3.

Check out this thread if you have issues with multi-channel audio on mp4 > flv transcoding.

I use this for my mp4 > flv string:

ffmpeg -v 0 -ss %o -async 1 -i %s -f flv -b %bk -s %wx%h -acodec copy -

You're welcome SCSI  ;)

After it has been working for a 48hours now.

Whenever I login I get a messagebox:

"Error" with the messagebox title "Error on Webpage"

It managed to load the catalog but does not show the right hand side menu which would normally show what other users have been listening too, wondering if there is some way to reset that or if anyone has any ideas of what I should try?

Even if I play songs, the right hand side does not show up with myself as the user and the track I am playing.

Thanks,

Martin

EDIT: After looking in to this a bit more, it seems I have a player which although removed from the "Players" in the settings is still existing in the "Status" menu. It is also for an artist that has since been removed from the music catalogue.

The logging screen is constantly giving this error:

[1/29/11 10:54:54 AM GMT] WARN FileUtil Failed to list children for /mnt/user/music/Nine Inch Nails/Year Zero/

Subsonic is stellar for music.

I feel your pain on the lack of a good Air Video equivalent for Android. There is an app called Qloud in the market that I've been able to use to stream video; unfortunately I'm having issues with it not playing sound. Unfortunately I don't see a native linux client; I'm currently running the Qloud server off of my windows box. Try it out and let me know what you think.

Sorry don't mean to thread hijack.