Cannot load virtio driver in OVMF vm to begin windows 10 installation

The virtio iso I am using is virtio-win-0.1.113.iso and at the start of the windows installation where you load the driver to detect host storage devices, navigating to the w10->amd64 (or the w8.1 folder) does not show a compatible driver. Unticking the 'hide incompatible drivers checkbox' shows the Red Hat Virt IO SCSI controller (E:\viostor\w10\amd64\viostor.inf).

This loaded fine when I created a VM with the SeaBios but now that I am trying to create a vm using OVMF it does not seem to recognise the virtio driver. Any suggestions?

The virtio iso I am using is virtio-win-0.1.113.iso and at the start of the windows installation where you load the driver to detect host storage devices, navigating to the w10->amd64 (or the w8.1 folder) does not show a compatible driver. Unticking the 'hide incompatible drivers checkbox' shows the Red Hat Virt IO SCSI controller (E:\viostor\w10\amd64\viostor.inf).

This loaded fine when I created a VM with the SeaBios but now that I am trying to create a vm using OVMF it does not seem to recognise the virtio driver. Any suggestions?

Try using 112-1

I have tried creating an new virtual machine with the suggested 112-1 virtio driver but shortly after the windows splash screen comes up to begin the install vnc disconnects and refreshing unraid gui shows that the vm has just stopped suddenly.

As per this thread (https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=47180.0) I am just trying to test out the viability of actually setting up an unraid environment with gpu pass through on a spare amd system before I spend a lot of money on a new intel system (Haswell-E). My ultimate goal is to run a single machine:

-> Plex

-> Couch Potato

-> Transmission

-> Sick Beard

-> VM 1 (High end win 10 gaming machine for myself)

-> VM 2 (Basic win 10 gaming for my wife)

I have been going through the process of attempting an OVMF VM as it was suggested it works better on AMD hardware with gpu passthrough. I seem to have had far better results with the SeaBios (I got the VM installed but GPU pass through kept on rebooting the VM).

I know there has been a lot of buzz in the media lately through the linus 2-1 and 7-1 videos (that's how I heard about unraid) and looking at the unraid website and blog, it appears this is one of the main ways Unraid is being marketed. But my question is how ready / stable is Unraid for this purpose?

I am a programmer and don't mind going through a learning curve to setup my new beast machine if it is possible to run this environment as a daily driver. Outside of going to the forum every time you encounter an issue (which seems to be often) there doesn't seem to be a good amount of tutorials to follow (the initial unraid setup and vm creatiom youtubes you put up were good).

I am coming across from FreeNAS which has a wealth of written and video guides by the community.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm seeing this issue as well running the built-in Windows 10 template in unRaid 6.2b18. I've tried virtio-win-0.1.112-1.iso (win10/amd64 folder) and virtio-win-0.1.102.iso (win8.1/amd64 folder). I get the same behavior as described: the drivers don't show up as "compatible," and if I install them anyways Win 10 can't find any media to install on. I'm giving the VM 16GB of RAM and 6 cores.

One thing I've noticed is that my install screens are slightly different from the ones in this youtube video showing a Win10 install on unRaid (I have an option saying "I don't have a product key" instead of a "Skip" button, for instance).

The Windows ISO I'm using is Win10_1511_1_English_x64.iso.

• Like 1

Ok, yeah, using the 8.1 drivers from 0.1.105 was able to get me up and running and I completed the install without any hitches following the instructions in the YouTube video. (For my setup I also needed to mess with my BIOS so that it uses the integrated GPU for the host OS rather than the external video card I'm passing through, but I'm not actually sure that's a requirement.)

In case it's helpful, I'll paste the XML used for the VM below.

<domain type='kvm'>
  <name>Windows 10</name>
  <uuid>4e4f9451-b000-546c-e32d-321632571701</uuid>
  <metadata>
    <vmtemplate xmlns="unraid" name="Windows 10" icon="windows.png" os="windows10"/>
  </metadata>
  <memory unit='KiB'>16777216</memory>
  <currentMemory unit='KiB'>16777216</currentMemory>
  <memoryBacking>
    <nosharepages/>
    <locked/>
  </memoryBacking>
  <vcpu placement='static'>6</vcpu>
  <cputune>
    <vcpupin vcpu='0' cpuset='0'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='1' cpuset='1'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='2' cpuset='2'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='3' cpuset='3'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='4' cpuset='4'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='5' cpuset='5'/>
  </cputune>
  <os>
    <type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-i440fx-2.5'>hvm</type>
    <loader readonly='yes' type='pflash'>/usr/share/qemu/ovmf-x64/OVMF_CODE-pure-efi.fd</loader>
    <nvram>/etc/libvirt/qemu/nvram/4e4f9451-b000-546c-e32d-321632571701_VARS-pure-efi.fd</nvram>
  </os>
  <features>
    <acpi/>
    <apic/>
    <hyperv>
      <relaxed state='on'/>
      <vapic state='on'/>
      <spinlocks state='on' retries='8191'/>
      <vendor id='none'/>
    </hyperv>
  </features>
  <cpu mode='host-passthrough'>
    <topology sockets='1' cores='3' threads='2'/>
  </cpu>
  <clock offset='localtime'>
    <timer name='hypervclock' present='yes'/>
    <timer name='hpet' present='no'/>
  </clock>
  <on_poweroff>destroy</on_poweroff>
  <on_reboot>restart</on_reboot>
  <on_crash>restart</on_crash>
  <devices>
    <emulator>/usr/local/sbin/qemu</emulator>
    <disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='writeback'/>
      <source file='/mnt/cache/vdisks/Windows 10/vdisk1.img'/>
      <target dev='hdc' bus='virtio'/>
      <boot order='1'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x04' function='0x0'/>
    </disk>
    <disk type='file' device='cdrom'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/ISOs/Win10_1511_1_English_x64.iso'/>
      <target dev='hda' bus='ide'/>
      <readonly/>
      <boot order='2'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='0'/>
    </disk>
    <disk type='file' device='cdrom'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/ISOs/virtio-win-0.1.105.iso'/>
      <target dev='hdb' bus='ide'/>
      <readonly/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='1'/>
    </disk>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-ehci1'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x7'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci1'>
      <master startport='0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci2'>
      <master startport='2'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x1'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci3'>
      <master startport='4'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='0' model='pci-root'/>
    <controller type='ide' index='0'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x01' function='0x1'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='virtio-serial' index='0'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x03' function='0x0'/>
    </controller>
    <interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='52:54:00:ca:ec:69'/>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <model type='virtio'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x0'/>
    </interface>
    <serial type='pty'>
      <target port='0'/>
    </serial>
    <console type='pty'>
      <target type='serial' port='0'/>
    </console>
    <channel type='unix'>
      <source mode='connect'/>
      <target type='virtio' name='org.qemu.guest_agent.0'/>
      <address type='virtio-serial' controller='0' bus='0' port='1'/>
    </channel>
    <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes'>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x01' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
      </source>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x05' function='0x0'/>
    </hostdev>
    <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes'>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x01' slot='0x00' function='0x1'/>
      </source>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x06' function='0x0'/>
    </hostdev>
    <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='usb' managed='no'>
      <source>
        <vendor id='0x099a'/>
        <product id='0x7202'/>
      </source>
    </hostdev>
    <memballoon model='virtio'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x08' function='0x0'/>
    </memballoon>
  </devices>
</domain>

• 1 month later...

When I was doing my early u raid testing it was just on some spare and hardware I had laying around. I didn't make any progress on I. I have since bought a cheap xeon to drop into my i7 setup for testing (current using 6.2 beta 21) for testing. Whilst I am still trying to work through some usb controller pass through issues I have had much more success.