System hangs on boot after 6.1.8 to 6.1.9 upgrade

I just used the web GUI's plugin manager to update from 6.1.8 to 6.1.9, stopped the array, and initiated a reboot.

System won't come back up after reboot. The last line on the console is:

Freeing SMP alternatives memory: 28K (ffffffff81974000 - ffffffff8197b000)

I've never had any issues with UnRAID upgrades before. Anyone have any suggestions?  :'(

Many thanks for the suggestion, mr-hexen. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to have had any effect. System hangs at boot at the exact same place.

What do you think might be the next step in troubleshooting this problem? (I really appreciate any and all help with this. Logically, I'm sure I'll get it resolved, but it's still causing a bit of anxiety for me.)

Many thanks for the suggestion, mr-hexen. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to have had any effect. System hangs at boot at the exact same place.

What do you think might be the next step in troubleshooting this problem? (I really appreciate any and all help with this. Logically, I'm sure I'll get it resolved, but it's still causing a bit of anxiety for me.)

Turn off the machine.  Let it completely cool down.  Reseat any add-in cards and memory and try again.  Also try running at least one pass of memtest

Everything appears well-seated. Currently running SMP memtest, which will probably finish tomorrow morning. No errors so far.

I recently upgraded the CPU. Given that the new CPU has been performing well over the last week, how likely is it that it might be the cause?

Anything is possible.

When memtest is complete, turn off the machine and remove one stick of ram. Restart and see if it boots. What you want to do is try one stick of ram at a time and see if you can find the culprit. This is a hail mary because memtest appears fine, but who knows and it costs nothing to try.

• 1 month later...