Remove 6 Xserves- Build Replacement (cost less than 1 Mac Pro)

The project goal - Remove 6 outdated 2008 Xserve's while maintaining Mac OS X infrastructure and spending a fraction of the original price.

After reading this insightful article by archedraft on Mac OS X KVM Virtual Machine https://macosxvirtualmachinekvm.wordpress.com/guide-mac-os-x-10-11-el-capitan-vm-on-unraid/ I decided to test it out on my unRaid system at home. After ironing out the bugs and successfully implementing multiple VMs of Mac OS X, I figured I could move this solution to our small server room at work.

Looking for anything I may have missed or feedback.

Price for everything:2,289.03 USD

OS at time of building:unRAID Basic 6.1.9 

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2670 Eight Cores Processors 2.60Ghz SR0KX (2)

CPU Cooler:Dynatron R23 Vapor Chamber Base with Aluminum Stacked Fin (2)

Motherboard: ASRock Motherboard Intel LGA 2011 EP2C602-2TS6/D16

RAM:Kingston KVR16R11D4K4/64 (4x16)

Case:NORCO 2U Rack Mount Server Chassis - Black RPC-270

Drive Cage(s):iStarUSA BPU-124V2-SS

Power Supply:Athena Power AP-U2ATX80FEP8

Cables: SAS to 4 SATA (included with motherboard)

Fans:Noctua NF-A8 PWM (4) (replacing NORCO fans)

Parity Drive:PNY SSD7CS2211-960-RB 960GB

Data Drives:PNY SSD7CS2211-960-RB 960GB (3)

Total Drive Capacity: 2.61TB (Actual) unRaid Calculator http://unraid.category5.tv/

Server RailsNORCO RL-20 Heavy Duty Slide Rail

Primary Use:VM Server to host DHCP, DNS, Open Directory, File Serving, NetInstall, Printer Serving, Software Caching, Render Farming for Cinema 4D, Retrospect Backups... Basically everything.

Future Plans: Add 4 more SSD for capacity, more RAM if necessary. Build secondary server for Mail and Filemaker with HDD for databases.

It sounds nice, but OS X licensing prevents you from legally running the OS on non-Apple hardware.

I appreciate your sentiment, and I'm not looking to get into an ethics debate.

My original question, is there anything I may have missed in regards to the hardware aspect of my build?

I've ordered the parts, just don't want any oversight or I'll take recommendations on improvements.

Hardware looks good. Definitely better than Mac Minis or upgrading to the 2009 Xserves.

It sounds nice, but OS X licensing prevents you from legally running the OS on non-Apple hardware.

I think you missed the thread of users unraid to run MAC vm's, while technically illegal there;s more that this community running OS X on non apple hardware.

Oh I'm well aware and I have tried it out myself. I just feel business environments are quite different and a slippery slope.

I think you missed the thread of users unraid to run MAC vm's, while technically illegal there;s more that this community running OS X on non apple hardware.
Oh I'm well aware and I have tried it out myself. I just feel business environments are quite different and a slippery slope.
To the best of my knowledge, nobody has gotten in trouble for running improperly licensed in a home environment. The same is definitely NOT the case in business, there are regular reports of large judgements against businesses for violating licence agreements.

Not an ethics debate, a clear consequence of getting caught statement.

I appreciate the concern.

If you could site some sources for the judgements against businesses running VM's of Mac OS X I would appreciate it. I'd like to understand the full scope of what I may or may not be getting myself into.

I appreciate the concern.

If you could site some sources for the judgements against businesses running VM's of Mac OS X I would appreciate it. I'd like to understand the full scope of what I may or may not be getting myself into.

Apple is a member of BSA. BSA "audit" consequences are not typically public knowledge, as the businesses involved would rather settle quietly.

Apple is a member of BSA. BSA "audit" consequences are not typically public knowledge, as the businesses involved would rather settle quietly.

Interesting.

I'll take that into consideration in regards to what I may or may not be doing and you can consider anything I'm asking here to be hypothetical.