[DEPRECATED] Linuxserver.io - Rutorrent

1 hour ago, Spies said:

May I make a suggestion that you change the container path /download to /data to aid compatiblity with sonarr and radarr?

It's no big deal to add or edit the path yourself. Docker path mapping is only simple after you understand it, so I get why you want to change the template, but it's counterproductive because you really do NEED to figure out docker path mapping, and making it almost work by changing only the app side is worse than making it completely different so you need to change it to match the rest of your settings.

Just my opinion.

Edited by jonathanm
Just now, jonathanm said:

It's no big deal to add or edit the path yourself. Docker path mapping is only simple after you understand it, so I get why you want to change the template, but it's counterproductive because you really do NEED to figure out docker path mapping, and making it almost work by changing only the host side is worse than making it completely different so you need to change it to match the rest of your settings.

Just my opinion.

Will it not change back when there is an update to the docker or will it retain the container mapping I have edited?

5 minutes ago, Spies said:

Will it not change back when there is an update to the docker or will it retain the container mapping I have edited?

Unless you manually delete the XML template on the flash drive and totally reinstall the docker, it will keep all your changes.

The inability to alter users templates when a docker change necessitates it is actually one of the complaints of the docker authors. 

54 minutes ago, Spies said:

May I make a suggestion that you change the container path /download to /data to aid compatiblity with sonarr and radarr?

As far as I'm aware /data is a format that binhex uses, we use /downloads,  may I suggest you tell him to change his format :P

1 hour ago, CHBMB said:

As far as I'm aware /data is a format that binhex uses, we use /downloads,  may I suggest you tell him to change his format :P

I was using binhex-deluge but the extractor was unreliable so switched to rutorrent but I don't fancy switching sonarr and radarr as I will have to add my episodes again?

Is there a way to password the webgui for rutorrent by the way?

Edited by Spies
6 hours ago, Spies said:

Of course not. It make absolutely no sense to wipe out all the settings and force a user to reconfigure everything every time they updated a program. The docker image is a virtualized container, basically a stripped down virtual machine. Docker has configuration settings that tell it which directories in the docker image (rutorrent) correspond to which directories in the host system (UnRAID). Those settings aren't stored in the image; it wouldn't make any sense. It can get a confusing mapping the directories but it will make sense eventually. Here is a visual representation. Deleting (or updating) those "soanrr" and "rutorrent" boxes doesn't wipe out those mappings.

8KM1A0M.png

Edited by bobbintb
1 hour ago, bobbintb said:

Of course not. It make absolutely no sense to wipe out all the settings and force a user to reconfigure everything every time they updated a program. The docker image is a virtualized container, basically a stripped down virtual machine. Docker has configuration settings that tell it which directories in the docker image (rutorrent) correspond to which directories in the host system (UnRAID). Those settings aren't stored in the image; it wouldn't make any sense. It can get a confusing mapping the directories but it will make sense eventually. Here is a visual representation. Deleting (or updating) those "soanrr" and "rutorrent" boxes doesn't wipe out those mappings.

8KM1A0M.png

If it's set up the way you have mapped in your illustration, then something downloaded to /data/whatever in rutorrent won't be able to be found by sonarr, because it will be in /downloads/whatever. That is why the mappings have to match, so a full path that works inside one container works in the other. The file will obviously be there, because they both point to /mnt/user/downloads, but the full path inside the container won't match.

Your illustration is a good diagram of why it won't work that way.

11 hours ago, jonathanm said:

If it's set up the way you have mapped in your illustration, then something downloaded to /data/whatever in rutorrent won't be able to be found by sonarr, because it will be in /downloads/whatever. That is why the mappings have to match, so a full path that works inside one container works in the other. The file will obviously be there, because they both point to /mnt/user/downloads, but the full path inside the container won't match.

Your illustration is a good diagram of why it won't work that way.

Oh, I see what you're saying but that's something different. That has to do with the way the two programs communicate over the API, not docker directory mapping. The path's don't have to match, they just both have to be able to find the file, regardless of whatever they each use for the path.

In this example, when rutorrent downloads something it will put it /data (which is really in /mnt/user/downloads). Sonarr will see it as /downloads. So they both have access to the same file but internally have a different mapped path. The real cause of the issue is that Sonarr and rutorrent communicate over an API and once Sonarr gets notified a download is complete, rutorrent will tell Sonarr where it is. But since neither one of them can really see outside of their respective virtual containers, rutorrent will tell Sonarr the file is in /data and Sonarr won't be able to find it because that path is /downloads to Sonarr. So yes, you can change the guest sides of the docker directory mapping to match but it really isn't a docker specific issue. It's an issue with having Sonarr and rutorrent on two different machines, which is essentially what docker is doing. Sonarr has the remote path settings specifically for this scenario of Sonarr and the torrent program (or usenet) being on different machines.

Edited by bobbintb

Is anyone able to successfully download magnet files with rutorrent? I'm getting Tracker: [Unable to connect to UDP tracker.] but can't imagine that its an issue with ruTorrent directly as the issue doesn't appear to be widespread? Could it be a nuance with the docker? I've forwarded the DHT port incase that was the issue but it's had no effect. 

On 1/23/2017 at 4:44 AM, Codeh said:

I just started using this ruTorrent docker and I'm confused on a few things, mainly how do I connect it to CouchPotato / SickBeard and how do I set authentication?

After a few hours of tinkering I ended up using nginx basic auth and a virtual server. So far ruTorrent works amazingly!

Could you be so kind as to describe your config...? I am having hitting a wall here. 

I got the basic pass through in the site-configs file:

location /rutorrent {
		auth_basic "Restricted";
		auth_basic_user_file /config/nginx/.htpasswd;
		include /config/nginx/proxy.conf;
		proxy_pass http://192.168.0.xxx:xxxx/rutorrent;
		}

But I am getting the 404 error

• 2 weeks later...

Rtorrent crash after a few minutes

My rtorrent log

1489013327 W Ignoring ~/.rtorrent.rc.
1489013327 N rtorrent main: Starting thread.
1489013327 N worker_rtorrent: Starting thread.
1489013697 C Caught internal_error: 'DhtRouter::get_tracker did not actually insert tracker.'.
---DUMP---
Stack dump not enabled.

---END---

So I have mounted a network share to my unRaid machine as /home/media/ and mounted this in my rutorrent docker at /downloads
rtorrent can't download to the network share. It can check files that are already there. How do I fix permissions?

You need to make the mount point within /mnt/disks and also use slave mode when assigning the paths in the template.

You may also need to modify permissions accordingly

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Squid said:

You need to make the mount point within /mnt/disks and also use slave mode when assigning the paths in the template.

You may also need to modify permissions accordingly

Okey, how do I modify permissions? I have mounted it as RW/slave from /mnt/media or do I have to mount it in one of the disks? Didn't fully understand..

should I chmod -r 777 /mnt/media/ in unraid host?

• Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, kakmoster said:

Okey, how do I modify permissions? I have mounted it as RW/slave from /mnt/media or do I have to mount it in one of the disks? Didn't fully understand..

should I chmod -r 777 /mnt/media/ in unraid host?

Not necessary to use a disk, but /mnt/media isn't anywhere. If you have a user share named media, it is at /mnt/user/media

19 minutes ago, Squid said:

Should work. But you also need to move the mount point. There's an entry in the docker FAQ about containers not being able to see mounts from another machine (although you haven't run into it yet)

19 minutes ago, trurl said:

Not necessary to use a disk, but /mnt/media isn't anywhere. If you have a user share named media, it is at /mnt/user/media

Ok I created a share called downloads where I mounted my network share like this /mnt/user/downloads/media, media is browseable in unRaid webgui. 

It appears like I can download with rtorrent when I change the Key 1 and 2 variables to 0 and 0 (root user and root group) however, when I do this I get a 502 bad gateway in rutorrent webui... :(

21 minutes ago, poldim said:

I have, no plugins folder in the appdata folder nor within the docker itself.

Do you have an rutorrent folder within the appdata folder (that is how most people do it)? I would expect an rutorrent plugins folder to be within the rutorrent folder in appdata.

Do you really understand volume mapping?

How can I change the permissions settings of the new files that ruTorrent makes?

It looks like it's currently making them as drwxr-xr-x which isn't giving couchpotato the ability to rename and move the files automatically.  Can RU make the files with 777 file permissions?

On 3/13/2017 at 5:40 PM, trurl said:

Do you have an rutorrent folder within the appdata folder (that is how most people do it)? I would expect an rutorrent plugins folder to be within the rutorrent folder in appdata.

Do you really understand volume mapping?

yea, i get mapping.  all of my dockers follow the standard appdata folder structure.

no plugins folder, and there isnt one in the sub folders either. 

root@ChiRAID:/mnt/user/appdata/rutorrent# ls -l
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 1 poldim users 44 Dec 15 00:09 log/
drwxr-xr-x 1 poldim users 20 Dec 15 00:09 nginx/
drwxr-xr-x 1 poldim users 14 Dec 15 00:09 php/
drwxr-xr-x 1 poldim users 48 Dec 15 19:12 rtorrent/
drwxr-xr-x 1 poldim users 32 Dec 15 19:12 rutorrent/

Thank you for the docker. This works straight out of box. But the thing is, though, I am really having trouble forwarding ports. Default port to docker is 51413, external I changed auto to the same 51413. Forwarded port from router to machine. But the port checker is yellow no matter what I do at this point!? Also opened 6881 UDP but no dice. 

The last time I installed it on xpenology, it worked great. I had to reinstall it on a bigger hdd, but now I just can't get past yellow... 

Please help :(.. 

• linuxserver.io changed the title to [DEPRECATED] Linuxserver.io - Rutorrent