[DEPRECATED] Linuxserver.io - Rutorrent

Hello, i have been on the older version of the container, namely linuxserver/rutorrent:2fce6c70-ls25

for more than a year, because of the _task problems meaning several plugins was not supported, namely unpack.

I finaly decided to fix the problem myself, and it was quite easy.

The problem seem to lie in the configuration file of rutorrent. 

rutorrent\rutorrent\settings\config.php

My old config was something like this

$pathToExternals = array(
		"php" 	=> '/usr/bin/php7',			// Something like /usr/bin/php. If empty, will be found in PATH.
		"curl"	=> '/usr/bin/curl',			// Something like /usr/bin/curl. If empty, will be found in PATH.
		"gzip"	=> '/usr/bin/gzip',			// Something like /usr/bin/gzip. If empty, will be found in PATH.
		"id"	=> '/usr/bin/id',			// Something like /usr/bin/id. If empty, will be found in PATH.
		"stat"	=> '/bin/stat',			// Something like /usr/bin/stat. If empty, will be found in PATH.
	);

But in a new version the default config.php looks like this:

$pathToExternals = array(
		"php" 	=> '/usr/bin/php7',			// Something like /usr/bin/php. If empty, will be found in PATH.
		"pgrep" => '/usr/bin/pgrep',			// Something like /usr/bin/pgrep. If empty, will be found in PATH.
		"python" => '/usr/bin/python3',			// Something like /usr/bin/python3. If empty, will be found in PATH.
		"curl"	=> '/usr/bin/curl',			// Something like /usr/bin/curl. If empty, will be found in PATH.
		"gzip"	=> '/usr/bin/gzip',			// Something like /usr/bin/gzip. If empty, will be found in PATH.
		"id"	=> '/usr/bin/id',			// Something like /usr/bin/id. If empty, will be found in PATH.
		"stat"	=> '/bin/stat',			// Something like /usr/bin/stat. If empty, will be found in PATH.
	);

So i tried updating my old container to linuxserver/rutorrent:latest and added the two lines from the new config.php

and it seems to work as it should now.

Just though i would help others if they still had the same problems as me.

On 10/9/2020 at 12:06 PM, brent3000 said:

Did your fix happen to also fix the flags not showing in the peers page?

What is wrong with the flags ?

i have never looked at them, so i would know what it is missing.

The column flag is there, and on downloads there is information in that column.

Hi im new(port problems) not sure this is rutorrent problem i did find open ports in utorrent an i did edit configs and it seems to me that rutorrent is set to them put im not getting open port response from the website i use 

If you could direct me to the proper directions to fix my problem i would be grateful 

On 10/12/2020 at 6:09 AM, Struck said:

What is wrong with the flags ?

i have never looked at them, so i would know what it is missing.

The column flag is there, and on downloads there is information in that column.

It should look like the attached 

image.png.cc3a3e2ac21bc3c24480a9125799019c.png

But for some reason there is no country flag showing on the peers page. This is taken from my other rutorrent install which was done on a standalone box.

EDIT - did a quick google and it seems this may be an issue, not sure if anyone is abit to test it with more docker skills than me :) https://github.com/linuxserver/docker-rutorrent/issues/103

Edited by brent3000
Found more info
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey all

Every time I download anything, at the end it automoves it to the default directory set in rutorrent, is there anyway to turn this off? I download most of my stuff via RRS and have it set up so it downloads each episode into the correct folder of the show/season, and once it's done, it just moves it do the default download folder and I don't want that... Same thing happens if I manually download some, save it to any other folder other than the default one and at the end, it just moves it into the default one. I hope this isn't the normal behavior for rtorrent as I am new to it, hopefully I am just an idiot and missed a setting somewhere? 

Help ❤️

On 11/1/2020 at 5:34 AM, Jello said:

Hey all

Every time I download anything, at the end it automoves it to the default directory set in rutorrent, is there anyway to turn this off? I download most of my stuff via RRS and have it set up so it downloads each episode into the correct folder of the show/season, and once it's done, it just moves it do the default download folder and I don't want that... Same thing happens if I manually download some, save it to any other folder other than the default one and at the end, it just moves it into the default one. I hope this isn't the normal behavior for rtorrent as I am new to it, hopefully I am just an idiot and missed a setting somewhere? 

Help ❤️

I'm going to piggyback on your question because I think my issue is the same. I want all of my downloads to go to the root "downloads" folder. But, every download that finishes automatically goes to the downloads/completed folder. I don't ever want to use the completed, incoming, or watched folders but they keep getting created.

Seems like my settings to just put every download into the root folder are ignored. I think we have the same problem in that the settings are ignored entirely and rutorrent just does what it wants.

Edit: I just learned about this wiki entry:

rtorrent Settings, changed by the user through the "Settings" panel in ruTorrent, are valid until rtorrent restart. After which all settings will be set according to the rtorrent config file (.rtorrent.rc).

I removed references to the incoming and watched folders, but I don't know enough to figure out what to change there that would stop things from getting moved to completed. Regardless, even after doing that and starting up rutorrent, all 3 folders were still created anew.

Edited by mudsloth
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/20/2020 at 4:11 PM, HAMANY said:

Hi,

Any file downloaded through ruTorrent docker gets written in my storage with read-only permission 0755, although the $profileMask is already 0777 in (config.php).

Any idea what is wrong?

Fixed by changing the PUID and PGID in the docker settings to 1000 for both.

Now looking for a way to stop the docker from creating the 3 folders (completed, incoming, watched) after every restart.

• 5 weeks later...
On 4/29/2020 at 9:57 PM, Xaero said:

Would it be possible to implement the fix depicted here:
https://github.com/rakshasa/rtorrent/issues/861

Currently, the bug presented in that thread is present in this container. I've been having to screen -r my docker and manually stop and start torrents because I still cannot seem to stop getting the errors in regard to the getplugins.php (my previously implemented resolution stopped working, after a couple of months and incidental docker updates... This seems to be a constant struggle with rtorrent on unraid. Regardless of the number of active torrents.)

EDIT:

I'm at a loss. I'm back to square one basically. I'm going to backup my rutorrent config folder; and try starting over but I'm back to the abysmal 20-30kb/s and unresponsive (or not even loading) webui. Nothing in the logs seems of relevance. I've read through logs and even enabled advanced logging. There's no "errors" so to speak, just the rtorrent application sitting at 99.99% IOWAIT. I'm wondering if it doesn't like the merged filesystem that unraid uses? I'm downloading to an NVME SSD and the only application with this issue is rtorrent. I'll post back with what I figure out.

Thank you for researching on this. I am having the exact same issue for months now to the point rtorrent is unusable. Changing ioscheduler to bfq (from Auto) did nothing to help. However, changing it to mq-deadline showed immediate results. IOWAIT fell back from 99% to under 10%. The speeds are still not great but atleast the torrents are downloading again. I too have NVMe(over a PCI adapter) for cache. It does look like I may have to move this to a dedicated unassigned drive but first need to figure out a way to move completed downloads to array and keep them seeding in th client. I am also thinking if NVMe drive is contributing to this as not everyone seems to have this issue.
Please update if you find a good solution.

On 11/3/2020 at 1:46 AM, mudsloth said:

I'm going to piggyback on your question because I think my issue is the same. I want all of my downloads to go to the root "downloads" folder. But, every download that finishes automatically goes to the downloads/completed folder. I don't ever want to use the completed, incoming, or watched folders but they keep getting created.

Seems like my settings to just put every download into the root folder are ignored. I think we have the same problem in that the settings are ignored entirely and rutorrent just does what it wants.

Edit: I just learned about this wiki entry:

I removed references to the incoming and watched folders, but I don't know enough to figure out what to change there that would stop things from getting moved to completed. Regardless, even after doing that and starting up rutorrent, all 3 folders were still created anew.

I have the same issue. I don't want those folders to be created nor used. Completed downloads are being moved there. I don't even use Sonarr/Radarr, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/21/2020 at 11:03 PM, HAMANY said:

Fixed by changing the PUID and PGID in the docker settings to 1000 for both.

Now looking for a way to stop the docker from creating the 3 folders (completed, incoming, watched) after every restart.

I at least found a workaround here.

Create the folder and file /config/custom-cont-init.d/script.sh or in our case it will probably be /mnt/user/appdata/rutorrent/custom-cont-init.d/rmdirs.sh

The script will remove the folders on every start of the container:

#!/bin/bash

echo "**** Removing directories /downloads/watched /downloads/incoming /downloads/completed ****"

rm -r /downloads/watched /downloads/incoming /downloads/completed

• Like 1

To follow up on my previous post, it was actually not too hard to fix.

After going in the config file at /mnt/user/appdata/rutorrent/rtorrent/rtorrent.rc

I simply commented out the following line (with a # in front) :

method.set_key = event.download.finished,move_complete,"d.move_to_complete=$d.data_path=,$d.get_finished_dir="

I don't seem to have broken anything in the config by doing that and torrents will no longer automatically get moved after completion.

I also wanted to ask my own question now :

What is the preferred method for adding some sort of authentication to the docker?

I tried to follow Alowishes suggestion from 08-08-2017 to edit the nginx.conf file.

But the new nginx.conf seems different from what it was back then. There is no "location / {" anymore.

Is it safe to simply add the code lines anywhere in the nginx.conf file?

auth_basic "Restricted";
			auth_basic_user_file /config/rutorrent/.htpasswd;

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I am having an issue regarding my instance of rutorrent.

After updating to 6.9.1 my Docker for rutorrent has been hovering around 8% CPU usage consistently. 

I am using linuxserver/rutorrent:2fce6c70-ls25 for compatibility for some sites I use.

A run of the "top" command is attached in an image

204732897_ScreenShot2021-03-14at10_10_41AM.thumb.jpg.62d5c36b63f3310bc96a9bd8b1e08d7d.jpg

To answer my own question, it looks like the changes have to be made in the rtorrent.rc file to change settling like bandwidth on a permanent basis.  I don't understand why changes made in the rutorrent don't "stick" with docker restarts. 

Is that a feature or bug?

From Linuxserver's Github:

https://github.com/linuxserver/docker-rutorrent/issues/188

We will continue with dropping support with this container in due course. We will be recommending current users to migrate to CrazyMax's rutorent cotainer: https://github.com/crazy-max/docker-rtorrent-rutorrent/

The question is how to migrate when the developer doesn't support unraid?

Conversation I had with the person who makes this container:

https://github.com/crazy-max/docker-rtorrent-rutorrent/issues/59

https://github.com/crazy-max/docker-nextcloud/issues/20#issuecomment-506553956

Edited by urbanracer34

I just installed the binhex docker and got it working.  It has a lot more config options that you have to play with to get it working when you start - like turning off OVPN, for example, and giving passwords. I never used passwords with the linuxserver docker but I only used it locally or after making a separate OVPN connection with the OVPN docker.

• linuxserver.io changed the title to [DEPRECATED] Linuxserver.io - Rutorrent