looking for a MB to match with E5-2620 v2

daan_SVK

hey folks,

so i have a E5-2620 v2 available that I'd love to use to upgrade my current APU setup. The thing is, the MB has to be an ITX.

Is anyone aware of an ITX board that would work with E5-2620 v2? I wasn't able to find one.

if that's not a go, I'm considering an i3-6100 build for future proof setup. In general, does the skylake architecture provide significant benefits over older hardware for unraid application? (nas, few dockers and an odd VM for office work, perhaps gaming later on?)

hey folks,

so i have a E5-2620 v2 available that I'd love to use to upgrade my current APU setup. The thing is, the MB has to be an ITX.

Is anyone aware of an ITX board that would work with E5-2620 v2? I wasn't able to find one.

if that's not a go, I'm considering an i3-6100 build for future proof setup. In general, does the skylake architecture provide significant benefits over older hardware for unraid application? (nas, few dockers and an odd VM for office work, perhaps gaming later on?)

There are no ITX for the LGA 2011. mATX will be your best option.

Plex gives an idea of what kind of CPU you need to transcode of 1080p based on a CPUbenchmark.net score.

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201774043-What-kind-of-CPU-do-I-need-for-my-Server-computer-

For VM purproses. Skylake supports up to 64GB of Memory, but I haven't found any ITX Skylake that support more than 32GB. Haswell and older ITX support 16GB Max.

Gaming, there are no major improvements from Haswell to Skylake.

Scroll to the "So, should I upgrade?"

http://www.pcgamer.com/intel-skylake-i7-6700k-tested-a-smart-upgrade-despite-small-gaming-gains/

tl;dr

Since ITX is your limitation, Skylake would be a good call for VMs because it will allow more memory on it's ITX than Haswell or older. If VM isn't that big of a deal, find older cheaper hardware and save some cash.

hey folks,

There are no mini-itx boards that support E5 v2 chips but there is one that supports v3 chips if you were able to make a trade for the newer chip.

http://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=EPC612D4I#Specifications

thanks for the suggestions guys.

based on what has been said, I might just look at upgrading the whole array including migrating the build to a mATX form factor as long as i can find a compact enough case.

based on the pass-mark I should be able to get by with an i3-6100 or 6300 without having to go to a much more power hungry setup compared to my current APU (38W idle). That would also give me a lot of upgradability potential later on.

How compact are you looking?

I have a NODE 804 http://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/node-series/node-804 for my home unRAID.

It's a tiny, cubic, super quiet and supports mATX.

8x 3.5 Drives

2x 2.5 Drives

and a 290mm long GPU.

yes, this is exactly the case I've been looking at for the mATX build. I have to check the foot print and make sure it fits into the cabinet where my wife doesn't see it. She doesn't want to see the box but requires new content each month, go figure...

yes, this is exactly the case I've been looking at for the mATX build. I have to check the foot print and make sure it fits into the cabinet where my wife doesn't see it. She doesn't want to see the box but requires new content each month, go figure...

Here's a quote you can use.

"I like it, it's cute" - my wife