Please help a poor guy aka new build :)

Hey all, i'm moving soon to my new apartment (bought, so i'm damn poor right now) and i'm rethinking my nas/pc re-using my parts.

At the moment i'm using a windows 10 configuration with flexraid for pooling and parity but i really miss the online parity calculation of unraid,the hdd spindown (with windows + flexraid i cannot spin down anything) and this community :)

I already own an unraid pro license.

The point is that i need windows 10 for my gaming needs (and at the moment i cannot buy another box for sure) so i'm thinking about using unraid + virtual windows 10 with gpu passthrough for my gaming,plex and emby servers (i like having them on windows)

What i own :

- Intel i7 4790 (so vt-d enabled) with HD Graphics 4600

- 32 gb ram

- Asrock z87 extreme 6 (http://www.asrock.com/mb/intel/z87%20extreme6/) with 10 esata + dual intel nic

- Nvidia GTX 960 2gb ram

- bluray reader/writer

- 2x Seagate archive 8tb

- 3x Seagate green 2tb

- 1x Crucial MX100 256gb SSD

- Fractal R3 Case with added silent fans

I own a single monitor (a dell 24" U2410 1920x1200).

Can i install unraid and leave it headless using the dispay only for windows (i want my windows up 7x24, i prefer to use it for my downloads and other stuff too for example)? Or even better the igpu for unraid and the nvidia one for windows ?

I will need to pass all my usb ports to windows after the initial setup too.

Something else to consider ? Any problems i do not see ?

Thanks a lot !

Your system is very similar to my second UnRaid server, although yours is newer. I also have a Windows 10 VM installed and pass through my 2GB Nvidia GTX 960 for gaming, it works great. You can leave your server headless and connect your monitor to your 960, I have only assigned two cores and 4GB of RAM to my Windows 10 VM and I can ply CSGO and full settings no problems. I have windows installed on a Samsung 250GB SSD and the performance is fantastic. You should have no issues if you follow the guide to build your Windows 10 VM as I did.

Many people use their SSD for dual purposes, so for cache, apps, as well as their VM, I haven't done this as in my case my second UnRaid server has light duties and I have no need for a cache drive so I use the entire SSD for my Windows 10 VM. UnRaid itself boots from the USB flash drive.

Your system is very similar to my second UnRaid server, although yours is newer. I also have a Windows 10 VM installed and pass through my 2GB Nvidia GTX 960 for gaming, it works great. You can leave your server headless and connect your monitor to your 960, I have only assigned two cores and 4GB of RAM to my Windows 10 VM and I can ply CSGO and full settings no problems. I have windows installed on a Samsung 250GB SSD and the performance is fantastic. You should have no issues if you follow the guide to build your Windows 10 VM as I did.

Where is that guide you are talking about?