Memory size Allocated vs installed

I have to wonder if this is a bug in the GUI. In your diagnostic file unRAID reports your Memory details as follows:

total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:        96653      33751      62901          0          3      33214

-/+ buffers/cache:        532      96120
Swap:            0          0          0
Total:       96653      33751      62901

I have just checked my 2 systems and I do not have this issue. However, I only have a maximum of 32GB installed.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Latest dybamix webGUI update seam to have fixed it for me.

Dynamix webGui : 2016.07.27

Was probably not really a issue as other tools where reporting the ram used for caching and sutch.  Probably just a reporting thing in the GUI?  Probably du to me upgrading the ram after the install maiby?

Ram.jpg.87b93babfb841de84f0837ef2e312752.jpg

This question (or similar) comes up now and then.  While there has been one or 2 bugs related to inconsistencies in how the DMI presents RAM figures, the problem mainly comes from how unreliable DMI info can be.  The numbers do NOT come from measuring or testing!  The BIOS maintains it, partly from the 'factory'.  A BIOS update *might* improve the info.

If you wish, you can play with the tool dmidecode at the command line, and see what the SMBIOS reports for your machine (but you can't change it if it's wrong!).

RobJ thanks for that explanation.

The webGUI under the hood makes use of dmidecode and displays the results of that tool in the GUI after doing unit conversion (i.e. display in GB).

There is an auto-correction feature built-in the GUI when the reported max. capacity memory is smaller than the installed memory. In that case the GUI will adjust the max capacity to the nearest "power of 2" value of the installed memory and appends an asterisk (*) to signal the auto-correction.