unRAID Server Release 6.2.0-beta18 Available

So as a small one, i don't know if this is affected by the NFS issue or not.

I have my steam library mapped on a network share and have done for months. Under OVMF with a fresh install, i am able to access the network drives.

If i boot up my steam library i lose all access to the network drives which crashes explorer and steam.

Right now i'm putting it down to windows 10 being stupid as per usual but is this something that could be samba related?

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yea something very wrong with samba i think, today i was working on my desktop and Windows File History tried to back up the file to my Backup share this worked on 6.1.9 just fine but on 6.2 Unraid webui is not responding and the Openelec VM crashed.

If i type in the share into windows explorer it causes the window to not respond i dont understand its as if Windows sees the shares but something is going very wrong and can't connect to it.

This time i can't even get the diagnostics

and again i can't get the system even to reboot in ssh have to manually power it down.

EDIT: some more information

Dockers are running during the problem BUT looks like no of them can see the array files, is this a file system problem?

EDIT:

so i sshed into Unraid to see if i can see the array files

/mnt/user - works, i can see all my share folders

/mnt/user/Tv Shows  works i can see all my tv show folders

/mnt/user/Tv shows/24 works i see the seasons folders

/mnt/user/Tv shows/24/Season 1  Nope when i get into it and type ls it just hangs nothing happens, whats going oN?

Edit: after going to eat and coming back Unraid webui responed :) i managed to get a diagnostic file then i checked if the smb shares are working they where up and loading but if i tried to open any file it froze up.

From reviewing your logs, can you please boot up in safe mode and try your testing again?  You have a large number of plugins on your system that we'd like to see out of the equation before continuing diagnosis.  Keep in mind, we have massively upgraded the OS / kernel in this release, so it's quite possible that some of the packages installed via these plugins will require updating before they are properly compatible.  If you can cause another issue to occur with no plugins running, please report back with another diagnostics.

Ok, when you get to the unRAID console, login and type the word 'diagnostics' and then shutdown the system after the command runs.  On the flash device, you will find a zip file (under the root path of the flash) that contains your diagnostics.  Please do this on a boot of 6.2 so we can investigate further.

Edit:  This might not work because your flash isn't mounting.

Have you tried preparing the USB flash from a Windows or Mac OS X device as opposed to using this Rufus utility?

Ok, when you get to the unRAID console, login and type the word 'diagnostics' and then shutdown the system after the command runs.  On the flash device, you will find a zip file (under the root path of the flash) that contains your diagnostics.  Please do this on a boot of 6.2 so we can investigate further.

Hi jonp

I just want to check that one was for EMKO?

Hi jonp

I just want to check that one was for EMKO?

No, it was actually for reapola.

Hello, unraid noob here.

I am currently trying to find a solution to my NAS needs.

With the new features in 6.2, I'd like to give it a try, however I'm running into a problem.

I have 3 500GB disks. They were in a RAIDZ0 using nas4free before. I want to assign one for parity and two for storage.

When I start the array, the two storage disks show up as unmoutable, I format them, still unmoutable.

I found out that it should help to run the preclear_disk script, but when I try to initiate the script, it says disk busy and stops.

In the WebGUI the disks show up as unassiged though. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance,

Markus

Yea something very wrong with samba i think, today i was working on my desktop and Windows File History tried to back up the file to my Backup share this worked on 6.1.9 just fine but on 6.2 Unraid webui is not responding and the Openelec VM crashed.

If i type in the share into windows explorer it causes the window to not respond i dont understand its as if Windows sees the shares but something is going very wrong and can't connect to it.

This time i can't even get the diagnostics

and again i can't get the system even to reboot in ssh have to manually power it down.

EDIT: some more information

Dockers are running during the problem BUT looks like no of them can see the array files, is this a file system problem?

EDIT:

so i sshed into Unraid to see if i can see the array files

/mnt/user - works, i can see all my share folders

/mnt/user/Tv Shows  works i can see all my tv show folders

/mnt/user/Tv shows/24 works i see the seasons folders

/mnt/user/Tv shows/24/Season 1  Nope when i get into it and type ls it just hangs nothing happens, whats going oN?

Edit: after going to eat and coming back Unraid webui responed :) i managed to get a diagnostic file then i checked if the smb shares are working they where up and loading but if i tried to open any file it froze up.

From reviewing your logs, can you please boot up in safe mode and try your testing again?  You have a large number of plugins on your system that we'd like to see out of the equation before continuing diagnosis.  Keep in mind, we have massively upgraded the OS / kernel in this release, so it's quite possible that some of the packages installed via these plugins will require updating before they are properly compatible.  If you can cause another issue to occur with no plugins running, please report back with another diagnostics.

Ok booted into safe mode did a transfer from share to share on my computer same result

Edit: sorry but this is as much as i can handle right now going back to 6.1.9 hope the logs show something and it can be fixed

tower-diagnostics-20160316-1521.zip

Hello, unraid noob here.

I am currently trying to find a solution to my NAS needs.

With the new features in 6.2, I'd like to give it a try, however I'm running into a problem.

I have 3 500GB disks. They were in a RAIDZ0 using nas4free before. I want to assign one for parity and two for storage.

When I start the array, the two storage disks show up as unmoutable, I format them, still unmoutable.

I found out that it should help to run the preclear_disk script, but when I try to initiate the script, it says disk busy and stops.

In the WebGUI the disks show up as unassiged though. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance,

Markus

Try the support section of the forum. You're not going to get help here as this is a release thread and as such is meant to discuss release related topics only.

Try the support section of the forum. You're not going to get help here as this is a release thread and as such is meant to discuss release related topics only.

Thanks, I will do that. Was unsure to ask questions about a beta release in the general support section. Cheers!

just to let you know i am back on 6.1.9 all transfers working perfect so its definitely something to do with 6.2.0

now i just have to figure out how to get my dockers/vms back

do you guys have any clue what the problem with 6.2.0 could be?

just to let you know i am back on 6.1.9 all transfers working perfect so its definitely something to do with 6.2.0

More fixes coming for -beta19, suggest you try that when it gets published.

EMKO,

Just reviewed your logs and there are multiple possibilities here, but Tom has already said it best himself:

EMKO,

Just reviewed your logs and there are multiple possibilities here, but Tom has already said it best himself:

oh nice i will test it,  is there easy way to downgrade if it still has problems? when i went back to 5.1.9 all my dockers/vms where missing/broken.

can i just backup my dockers.img ?

After the upgrade i have noticed that the temperature of my disks have gone up by atleast 5°C. From under 30, to around 35.

First after i started the array, and let the disks spin down, the green status dots turn grey and temerature turns to a *. But if i do a smartctl -i -n standby /dev/sdb the disk is shown as active/idle. Then after a couple of minutes the dots are still grey, but showing temperature for all disks.

When i manually set the disk to standby with hdparm -Y /dev/sdb the disk temperature is shown as an *.

If i spin down all disks on the button in webgui, all disk temperatures are gone and * are showing. Even on my 4 cache disks that are hosting VMs and they are still green. And when i read from a disk that are spun down. It turns green, but doesnt show temperature. Even now if i do a smartctl -i -n standby /dev/sdb the disk is still shown as active/idle. And not standby

Attaching log files.

JoWe

tower-diagnostics-20160317-1005.zip

Hi Just to say I have found samba shares being very slow aswell.

When using my win 10 vm the vm will take forever to view the mapped drives and slow transfers when using shares. I cant be bothered to downgrade so will wait for the next beta, but just thought I would let you know im having same issue.

After the upgrade i have noticed that the temperature of my disks have gone up by atleast 5°C. From under 30, to around 35.

First after i started the array, and let the disks spin down, the green status dots turn grey and temerature turns to a *. But if i do a smartctl -i -n standby /dev/sdb the disk is shown as active/idle. Then after a couple of minutes the dots are still grey, but showing temperature for all disks.

When i manually set the disk to standby with hdparm -Y /dev/sdb the disk temperature is shown as an *.

If i spin down all disks on the button in webgui, all disk temperatures are gone and * are showing. Even on my 4 cache disks that are hosting VMs and they are still green. And when i read from a disk that are spun down. It turns green, but doesnt show temperature. Even now if i do a smartctl -i -n standby /dev/sdb the disk is still shown as active/idle. And not standby

Attaching log files.

JoWe

Same here.  I have never received notifications about high disk temperatures, until this update.  Now I am seeing all of my drives running "hot" and getting frequent warnings. 

When starting the array with at least one cache device, a share called "system" will be automatically created.  Inside, two subfolders will be created (docker and libvirt respectively).  Each of these folders will contain a loopback image file for each service.

New user here... I've unRAID setup and it's running great. Pretty easy!

I'm starting to set up VM/s, Docker with the associated User Shares... I'm not using the beta. I am on version 6.1.9, but I want to setup my shares to match the auto created share structure in 6.2. I'm certain I have the shares set up correctly but I can not figure out from reading this forum thread of what exactly would be saved to the libvirt folder in the system share. My best guess would be the virtio drivers for Windows... but I'm hoping someone can clue me in on what exactly this folder will be used for so I can setup to match the default setup of 6.2.

Decided to attempt an upgrade of my licensed system from 6.1.9 to 6.2 beta 18 based on a few days of testing 6.2 on test system.  Upon reboot, it appears to get stuck on "DMAR:  dmar0: Using Queued invalidation" as the last line on the console.  This happens in with normal or Safe Mode, as well as booting from the test system's USB stick that had 6.2 beta 18 installed from scratch.

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this?  Thanks in advance.

Edit:  I later figured out a workaround.  Disabling VT-d in the bios allows it to boot.  I've updated my Windows 10 VM config and docker apps as prescribed and just for kicks tried enabling VT-d again, but the issue persists.

nas-diagnostics-20160317-1536.zip

When using my win 10 vm the vm will take forever to view the mapped drives and slow transfers when using shares. I cant be bothered to downgrade so will wait for the next beta, but just thought I would let you know im having same issue.

I get the same issue, including samba locking up entirely when trying to load a steam library over it

Looking forward to beta 19, hopefully it comes out pretty soon

I get the same issue, including samba locking up entirely when trying to load a steam library over it

YES another person with same problem :) hopefully this means its reproducible and they can fix it

YES another person with same problem :) hopefully this means its reproducible and they can fix it

Have all of you posted up your Diagnostics file?  (See Reply #2 of this thread!)  I did not check, just posed the question.    ;)