unRaid causing Latency issue on AT&T uVerse DSL

Acps

I believe I have narrowed down my latency issue to my unRaid server. I have a post over at TomsHardware: http://goo.gl/vR45hF That goes into some detail, Ill post that original below:

My complaint is an unresolved latency issue between 100-1000 ms. Which for gaming can be extremely irritating. I am shooting for a ping of around 30 ms, which I can get by plugging directly into the modem.To best explain my issue I will list my current setup of hardware. First I have a Motorola NVG510 DSL modem setup on ip 192.168.0.1. I have wifi and almost everything else turned off. I then have it setup to IP pass-through to my Asus RT-AC68R router on the ip 192.168.1.1 via the WAN port. I use my Asus for Wifi, Routing, VPN, DDNS. I have the Merlin bios loaded on it as well. Mostly it does hand out DHCP but some things are static like my unRaid server and some Virtual Machines.From there I have a TP-Link 16port gigabit switch on the ip 192.168.1.2 wired via Cat6. The only thing that is connected via the LAN port of my Asus. From there I have another TP-Link 8 port POE gigabit switch. For some IP cameras I have setup around my property.I try to hard wire via cat6 my desktop, unRaid server, printer, Nvidia Shield and IP phone. All through the TP-Link 16 port switch. And mobile devices and laptops via wifi usually 5gzh or 2.4 for legacy items.I have some IT tech experience and understand basic concept of networking and dsl. I can assure you that most likely this is not a bottleneck in the sense of bandwidth. I can get bad latency with no network traffic on my line. One issue could be the "connections" made might be to high. Even at little to no speeds, and open connection could bottleneck im guessing the Motorola. And this would no doubt be due to my server which can have a large amount open at any time. So before I head into the wrong direction here, does anyone have any ideas for me on how to diagnose my problem? Simple speedtest do not work, unless they watch latency, but that is just a snap shot, how do I find the trends and what is causing them?Thanks in advance for any help!

By eliminating my unRaid server from the network I can resolve the issue and get back to a 30-50ms latency. The only thing I have running 24/7 is binhex plex server, I realize my extremely slow DSL can be the bottleneck, but there is no data being ran across the network, no torrent applications running. So I feel like it might be a too many connections issue? Can anyone recommend a good place for me to start troubleshooting to figure this out?

Thanks in advance!

~Acps

This could be a Plex-related issue.

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/206468/plex-network-lag

I remember seeing other posts on latency issues for the last few years on the Plex forums.  One thing to do would be to turn off the Plex docker and see if your latency issues go away.  If so, I'd say its Plex.  Then I'd try disabling the DLNA server, if you haven't already.

Interesting, i just check an my DLNA server was already ticked off. I just updated the binhex plugin this past day. As of this moment I am streaming 1080 with no latency! Other times its 300-1000ms