Parity Drive and Disk 1 never spin down

I'm using unRAID 6.1.9 and my parity drive and disk 1 are constantly running and never spin down.

I've even booted unraid into safe mode, and issue a spin down, but they both will spin right back up. I'm unsure on how to trouble shoot the cause of the constant spinning of the drives and would like to get to the bottom of this.

Can someone assist me with figuring out what is causing this issue?

Thanks!

I'm using unRAID 6.1.9 and my parity drive and disk 1 are constantly running and never spin down.

I've even booted unraid into safe mode, and issue a spin down, but they both will spin right back up. I'm unsure on how to trouble shoot the cause of the constant spinning of the drives and would like to get to the bottom of this.

Thanks!

Something is writing to disk 1.  Do you have a docker.img file (or vm images) installed on disk 1?

Thanks!

Something is writing to disk 1.  Do you have a docker.img file (or vm images) installed on disk 1?

Would that even matter if it's in safe mode?

Docket still runs in safe mode

The dockers image is on a share, but so far most of the files have been written to disk 1.

Ive even turned off all the docker images and it still spins up. Does the image itself keep the drive awake?

You'd need to disable Docker completely, not just each individual Docker Container.

That or move the docker image off your array drive and onto an Cache/OS Applications drive.

The dockers image is on a share, but so far most of the files have been written to disk 1.

Ive even turned off all the docker images and it still spins up. Does the image itself keep the drive awake?

You'd need to disable Docker completely, not just each individual Docker Container.

That or move the docker image off your array drive and onto an Cache/OS Applications drive.

So I completely disabled docker (turned off the image) and installed open file to check what was spinning to drive up..

There is nothing open and i spin the drives down, they spin right back up.

What else can I do to find what is keeping the drives awake?

@Brit, can you clarify because you didn't specifically state this, but are you implying that a drive with a Docker installed will never spin down?  I've been wondering about this same situation because I have 3 drives (1 parity, 1 drive with the docker image and  a third data only drive) and they never spin down.  If they never spin down, isn't that a huge drain on the life of the drive?

The drive that contains your docker.img will probably not spin down while Docker is enabled.  The docker.img should be on your cache drive, not an array drive.

The drive that contains your appdata folder will probably not spin down while Docker is enabled.  The appdata share should be marked "cache only" so it stays on the cache drive.

Then assuming your individual dockers aren't accessing the drives (i.e. Crashplan isn't backing something up, Plex isn't creating index files) the array drives and parity drive should spin down.

• 6 months later...

The drive that contains your docker.img will probably not spin down while Docker is enabled.  The docker.img should be on your cache drive, not an array drive.

The drive that contains your appdata folder will probably not spin down while Docker is enabled.  The appdata share should be marked "cache only" so it stays on the cache drive.

Then assuming your individual dockers aren't accessing the drives (i.e. Crashplan isn't backing something up, Plex isn't creating index files) the array drives and parity drive should spin down.

Thanks. I'm not sure if this info is in some kind of "best practices" for unraid or not...honestly, i've only read a smidgen of what's available. But if it isn't...it should be. I certainly don't want my parity disc(s) constantly spinning for no good reason, lessening their longevity.

• 1 month later...