Can't cold boot straight to USB Drive

Hi,

I am not sure if any of you ever experienced this problem but, if you have, how did you manage to solve it?

My computer when cold booting it, won't recognize the USB Drive until I restart the server from the BIOS. I think sometimes it might have worked since but, it might have just been a reboot for all I know since I had been shutting down and starting up the computer trying to get it to recognize the USB Drive on a cold boot.

There is a setting in the BIOS which keeps the BIOS screen on longer and that didn't solve it either as it must look for boot drives way before that screen shows up.

Fast boot is turned off and even when it was on the restart from BIOS would boot it fine.

If I was to hit F11 to show my boot drives, that drive won't even show up.

I don't know if there is anything I can do or even if its a motherboard issue or a flash drive issue. I am using a z77 ASRock Fatal1ty with a AData S102 which is a highly recommended drive atleast on Newegg. I really do wish there was a way to install unRAID on a SATA drive.

• 5 years later...

Hello, any update on the matter, did you manage to solve it ?

I think i have the same issue,

• cold boot -> can't start because of no media (found) to boot on
  • reset switch from there -> works like a charm

Indeed it's a not a big issue as the server should be working 24/7 but just in case, i'd love to solve the issue.