SERIOUSLY! PLEX, hosted on unRAID...is driving me #%&* NUTZ!!

OK, look; I admit. I'm not the foremost server expert.

I, typically...in the past...have just used my unRAID set-up; as file-server...and it's been awesome, stable, and I've always gotten a nudge in the right direction here, when needed.

When I went to v6...I was thrilled! The UI was smokin'; and then I discovered, like hosting options for PLEX.

I bought a FireTV, installed PLEX; and was of a mind...that I'd finally...found EVERYTHING I was looking for, in a server/STB combination.

Problem is...I can't seem to keep PLEX stable!! I mean...I don't watch an f-ing movie, EVERY night! I watch one, and things are PERFECT. 4 days pass, and I plan to watch again.

So I check PLEX, by going to PLEX Media Server through my browser...because I know if I can't hit it there; I'm just going to run in to problems, when I have my popcorn ready and it's movie time.

I constantly get a "cannot find server" error! So...I usually go to my Dockers; and maybe there's an update available. I think "maybe that's why there's an issue"; version mismatch. So...I try to run the update; get some sort of cryptic fail error. Then, I try to stop the app; it stops. Then...I try to start; it won't start.

So then I stop the array, and re-boot. After re-boot...it says the PLEX app, is now on the current version; but it still can't find my server.

Oh...I'll eventually get it back up and working again (can you say uninstall and re-install?); but seriously...every f-ing time, I just want to stream a movie.

What the hell, could be going wrong??!!  >:(

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Umm; nevermind...maybe  :-[

OK, no; not nevermind.

Last night, I was using PLEX...and I had as frustrating night, as I've had thus far.

I'm convinced the issue is mine, and has something to do with set-up. Let me walk you through it...

I go to start a movie; cannot connect with server. I stop the array, reboot; PLEX and movie works fine. My AVR, was set to output to the TV; so I switch to AVR, which stops PLEX...and when I go to re-start the title, cannot connect to server!

I pause the movie, several times; and start it back up...all good. I pause once, and the screen-saver kicks in; no problem...back to playback. I pause once, goes to screen-saver; screen-saver expires, and stops playback. When I go to resume...cannot connect to server.

I get done with the movie, I go to play a TV series; cannot connect to server. I stop array, and reboot; play the TV show. Stop the TV show, go to play another one; take a guess!  >:(

So...everytime I stop playback, it's like I lose connection to the server. I'm willing to do whatever, to get this corrected.

Again...when I say "issue"; I don't think it's a symptom of either unRAID, PLEX, or FireTV. I think it's purely set-up. That being said...is the "problem" on the unRAID/PLEX app side? Because I'd LOVE, to get this resolved.

As good as it is...obviously, it is unusable in this state.

You could set it up in a VM or try a different docker... Just to see if that helps finding the issue.. ?

What I'd actually like...if someone would be patient enough; is to do a complete, and clean...uninstall.

And step by step re-install; see if I can catch the set-up issue, how it acts from there. And then...if need be; we can troubleshoot, from a known entity?

TIA

You could set it up in a VM or try a different docker... Just to see if that helps finding the issue.. ?

What I'd actually like...if someone would be patient enough; is to do a complete, and clean...uninstall.

And step by step re-install; see if I can catch the set-up issue, how it acts from there. And then...if need be; we can troubleshoot, from a known entity?

TIA

Complete uninstall is as simple as stopping docker.  Deleting the docker.img file.  Then re-adding the app using CA (ideally either LinuxServer or BinHex versions as they are the best supported here)  But, I don't believe that the issue is with unRaid and the plex version you are currently running.  As stated, it sounds more like an actual networking issue or a client issue

Can you say more about your setup?  What is Plex running on?  Docker?  VM?  Where is it installed?  Cache drive (SSD)?  User share?  Does everything else on unRAID work?  Accessing data on shares, etc?

My setup is like this:  Plex linuxserver docker (I use this one so I can get plexpass versions), installed on my cache drive (an SSD).  It works very well.  I've had problems with other versions of the docker in the past, but this one seems rock solid.  Plex builds a pretty hefty DB (mine is over 60GB) so it works way better on an SSD than a hard disk.

I'm also having plex woes :(

mines all setup and I can access the plex gui however it does not list the unraid server, only my other shared servers. so therefor it does not see the media since it doesn't have the server listed

I have tried the plugin plus 2 dockers(currently on binhex), all same issue

mines all setup and I can access the plex gui however it does not list the unraid server, only my other shared servers. so therefor it does not see the media since it doesn't have the server listed

as adam said above

Can you say more about your setup?  What is Plex running on?  Docker?  VM?  Where is it installed?  Cache drive (SSD)?  User share?  Does everything else on unRAID work?  Accessing data on shares, etc?

as adam said above

For me...

- PLEX is running on FireTV

- I'm using a Docker

- Not sure where it was installed; I guess we'll address that, on the re-install

- Yes; I have all my music and video, on unRAID...and have ZERO problem accessing them from WD TV Live, Dune SMART D-1, Aurender N100H, Auralic Aries Mini...and countless other devices, over the 12 years I've been streaming.

No it should of cleanly deleted the container and the image, the errors is complaining about read only issues, someone with more docker knowledge and expertise than me is going to have to jump in and give you a hand here.

I mean...PLEX is gone. But with the issues I've been having; I'd like to make sure it's f-ing NUKED. As clean as possible.

So why the errors?

I mean...PLEX is gone. But with the issues I've been having; I'd like to make sure it's f-ing NUKED. As clean as possible.

So why the errors?

try deleting the docker.img and creating it again

then try and install container again

Sorry; where is the docker.img and delete it how? Just out of a network browse??