4TB Hitachi $89 @ Fry's

flips

Britt, didn't you hear about the flood in Thailand that destroyed the hard drive manufacturing plants.  Prices are gonna go up. . .

How many years had it been now since that happened and destroyed Moore's law with regard to hard drive pricing?

2011, yea know, the last time intel made a cpu faster than the previous gen.  WOOOOO 5 years later i can get a cpu thats just as fast, sucks half the power, and costs the same as the 2011...

How many years had it been now since that happened and destroyed Moore's law with regard to hard drive pricing?

The consolidation of manufacturers did a large part to stifle competitive pricing.  Couple that with, [glow=red,2,300]I suspect,[/glow] the insane demand for hard drives by government agencies intent on archiving the internet, has kept hard drive prices stagnant. 

The consolidation of manufacturers did a large part to stifle competitive pricing.  Couple that with, [glow=red,2,300]I suspect,[/glow] the insane demand for hard drives by government agencies intent on archiving the internet, has kept hard drive prices stagnant.

More realistically it's things like, Amazon Web services, Google Cloud/Drive, Microsoft Azure, Dropbox, Carbonite, iCloud etc.

Code doesn't seem to work for me. Maybe I got the wrong one. I think I need the Sunday code and I only have the Tuesday code... Anyone have a Sunday code they won't use that they want to share with me via PM? I don't live in an area with a Fry's but I will be travel to one this weekend. Can I order it and have them hold it? For how long?

More realistically it's things like, Amazon Web services, Google Cloud/Drive, Microsoft Azure, Dropbox, Carbonite, iCloud etc.

Interesting point, but THEY are all profit-driven.  The government never cares about price.  Why should they- it isn't their money.  And while only a small subset of the population uses any of those services, every... single... person... contributes to the government's data store; your wife, your kids, your boss, the kid that bags your groceries, the little old man that greets you at Wal-Mart, every last one of them.

Interesting point, but THEY are all profit-driven.  The government never cares about price.  Why should they- it isn't their money.  And while only a small subset of the population uses any of those services, every... single... person... contributes to the government's data store; your wife, your kids, your boss, the kid that bags your groceries, the little old man that greets you at Wal-Mart, every last one of them.

Cloud services have become the biggest driver in this scenario. The government is really more of the subset. More and more companies are moving their resources to the cloud. While that in and of itself really just displaces the resources, a scaled up cloud provider can give you a cheaper price than you could have by managing your own resources. So companies can take advantage of that and provide more services, and take up more storage. It's not individuals directly as much as it is companies that are driving the demand. Considering all the cloud services, streaming services, backup services, storage providers, the many many companies that are both behind and use those services, the backup ups, redundancy in duplicate, triplicate, offsite or more for high availability... It's not just a few companies and a small subset of the population. It's a lot more than you realize and it's worldwide. Way more than anything you speculate the government is doing.

What about this "1 per household business"? Is that really just one per order? Any way to get 2? I know I can just try but has anyone actually had an issue?

Glad you asked. I went to Fry's with my email (and code) which clearly says limit 2. So I went to check out with 2. The cashier informs me that his system says limit 1. I show him the email, we both agree this promo code stuff just makes life harder for all. But in the end he finds a way to do two separate transactions and I get the 2 for the $89 pricing.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I signed up for the email after those promo codes were mailed out. Turns out you can just call and they will give you personalized promo codes even if you signed up afterwards if those codes are still valid. I also didn't have trouble using the code a second time with another account. So I ended up getting one and had my wife get another. Awesome deal. I wish there was a Fry's nearby.