Advice Needed: Upgrading existing mini build to VM+Monitor solution.

niietzshe

Hey all,

I have a small build based off MiniITX that I've got an OSX VM installed on to offload some of the more RAM intensive stuff I do that my ageing MacbookPro can't handle anymore the poor thing. I  currently VNC into this, but it's not ideal. What I'd like to do is hook up a Monitor and Input Devices and use it as a proper desktop, problem is I don't have enough room for a Graphics Card.

So here is my current build:

Lian Li PC-Q25B

Asus H81I-PLUS Motherboard

Intel Pentium G3420 Dual Core CPU

Syba SATA III 4 Port PCI-e x1 Controller

SilverStone SST-ST30SF

HyperX FURY Series 8GB

Ideally I'd like the least amount of money spent and time swapping out, but only if it's the best solution.

So I have 8 SATA Ports with the current setup, to get that I'd have to go to a server grade M-ITX board (good solution), which would free up the PCI port for graphics card.

Other option is to get a Node804 chassis, M-ATX motherboard, probably new CPU, probably new PSU, which is starting to look like a totally new build.

Any other options or suggestions?

Thanks

Christian

P.s. Is anyone currently using a OSX VM as a main machine? What do you think...

Hey all,

I have a small build based off MiniITX that I've got an OSX VM installed on to offload some of the more RAM intensive stuff I do that my ageing MacbookPro can't handle anymore the poor thing. I  currently VNC into this, but it's not ideal. What I'd like to do is hook up a Monitor and Input Devices and use it as a proper desktop, problem is I don't have enough room for a Graphics Card.

So here is my current build:

Lian Li PC-Q25B

Asus H81I-PLUS Motherboard

Intel Pentium G3420 Dual Core CPU

Syba SATA III 4 Port PCI-e x1 Controller

SilverStone SST-ST30SF

HyperX FURY Series 8GB

Ideally I'd like the least amount of money spent and time swapping out, but only if it's the best solution.

So I have 8 SATA Ports with the current setup, to get that I'd have to go to a server grade M-ITX board (good solution), which would free up the PCI port for graphics card.

Other option is to get a Node804 chassis, M-ATX motherboard, probably new CPU, probably new PSU, which is starting to look like a totally new build.

Any other options or suggestions?

Thanks

Christian

P.s. Is anyone currently using a OSX VM as a main machine? What do you think...

The biggest problem is that both MB and processor don't support PCI passthrough. MiniITX motherboards only have one PCI/PCIe slot, and not many of them have more than 6 SATA ports, so or you will have to choose between more disks and a VGA.

IMHO, the MATX build is your way to go, IF you want to consolidate your builds. If I was you, I would take a look into Tonymacx86 and choose a new build from their specs, and let the current one as a NAS only.