appdata folder on cashe disk shown as unprotected

mattail

Hi all

On my currently built unraid server I have (as advised) created this folder "/mnt/cache/appdata/containerfolder" on my ssd cache disk where dockers config files are stored.

One thing I noticed after doing so, is that that folder now is shown in my user shares as "unprotected", do any of you know why?

My SSD disk is not shared so why is the folder shown on user shares at all?

My docker images are stored at this location on the SSD "/mnt/cache/docker.img"

cSPDxdG.png

All top level folders are treated as User shares regardless of whether they are on the cache or data disks.

Your appdata share will be shown as unprotected because you only have a single drive as cache (rather than a cache pool which give redundancy on the cache) so are not protected against failure of the cache disk.

All top level folders are treated as User shares regardless of whether they are on the cache or data disks.

Your appdata share will be shown as unprotected because you only have a single drive as cache (rather than a cache pool which give redundancy on the cache) so are not protected against failure of the cache disk.

Hi itimpi

Thanks for your reply.

So this is normal behavior and I shouldn't worry if only one cache disk is installed?

Hi itimpi

Thanks for your reply.

So this is normal behavior and I shouldn't worry if only one cache disk is installed?

Yes.

As the cache is unprotected storage with a single drive you might want to consider periodically backing anything important up to protected storage.

There has been a little bit of discussion and a feature request or two about changing this warning to make it more clear that this is the normal behavior of a single cache disk and that it's only there to let you know that you should perhaps do periodic backups of any important data. Now that said it's not advised you store your important data on your cache drive for long anyway... which is the point of mover and moving stuff to the array. So really it's mostly just app data that you might want to backup... but again depending on that data it might not be worth backing up anyway since it might just be files that are easily reinstalled.

Sorry that was a bit of a ramble.

Archived