Comparing KodiBuntu vs OpenElec vs Windows Kodi

On 22/07/2017 at 1:49 AM, mystik said:

Sorry to necro an old post, but since it is very related, seems like the best place.

I am looking for something.  I don't have experience with Linux.  So, knowing the commands for doing various updates may be an issue.  I installed Mint and then Kodi, and that all worked ok, but when I rebooted, the Rii i8+ did not connect.  So, no keyboard/mouse.  It was enough to put me off of that route. :D  

So, now I am thinking OpenElec/LibreElec or KodiBuntu.  It seems like KodiBuntu may have been discontinued, though.  

I have a very beefy HTPC.  It's the latest Intel NUC, 16 GB RAM, SSD (don't ask why it's so beefy...I know it's not quite needed for this purpose).  So, resources is not really an issue.  I'm just tired of dealing with Windows for the HTPC.  Mainly because I want to solve a playback issue I have with an addon, and I think switching over to a Linux base would do it (it fixes on Windows if I close and re-open Kodi).  

What would you recommend considering this?  Ideally, I would like to get something that will update on its own.  Is there something like that? :D

i (probably) have the same NUC as you, Intel NUC7i5BNH, and i run LibreElec on it (active fork of openelec) and its awesome, if you're looking for as close as possible to a hassle free media center frontend then this is it, any questions feel free to ask me,as i have gone through pretty much all the niggles on this particular bit of hardware and im pretty much 100% issue free now.