MAC addresses and motherboards

agw

I recently swapped motherboards between my unRAID server and my desktop.  I had a 780g Foxconn motherboard in my server that I wanted for my desktop and a 690g MSI motherboard in my desktop that I put back in the server.  At the same time, I took the desktop from 32-bit XP to 64-bit Windows 7.

No problems getting either machine up and running, except I was having a conflict when both machines were online that ReneV quickly pointed out was likely an IP conflict.

Well, it's not so much an IP conflict as it is a MAC address conflict!?  The MAC address for my original 780g server moved to my desktop - as I expected.

But the unRAID server using the 690g MSI board still wants to use that same MAC address! 

I have edited the network.cfg to delete the "HWADDR=" line as suggested in this thread:  http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=3923.0

Nothing I do seems to erase unRAID's memory of the old MAC address.  I even reset my router back to original settings thinking maybe it was somehow involved and getting confused, but no help.  If I log into unRAID (with the desktop off, of course) it still reflects the old MAC address in the setup screen.

Any ideas?  Can I manually assign my own MAC address to the unRAID server using the network.cfg file?

agw

I recently swapped motherboards between my unRAID server and my desktop.  I had a 780g Foxconn motherboard in my server that I wanted for my desktop and a 690g MSI motherboard in my desktop that I put back in the server.  At the same time, I took the desktop from 32-bit XP to 64-bit Windows 7.

No problems getting either machine up and running, except I was having a conflict when both machines were online that ReneV quickly pointed out was likely an IP conflict.

Well, it's not so much an IP conflict as it is a MAC address conflict!?  The MAC address for my original 780g server moved to my desktop - as I expected.

But the unRAID server using the 690g MSI board still wants to use that same MAC address! 

I have edited the network.cfg to delete the "HWADDR=" line as suggested in this thread:  http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=3923.0

Nothing I do seems to erase unRAID's memory of the old MAC address.  I even reset my router back to original settings thinking maybe it was somehow involved and getting confused, but no help.  If I log into unRAID (with the desktop off, of course) it still reflects the old MAC address in the setup screen.

Any ideas?  Can I manually assign my own MAC address to the unRAID server using the network.cfg file?

agw

Go into your router and try revoking the priviledge of the unRAID server.  Your router might be hanging onto the MAC address and the UP associated with them.  I know my router does this even if i tell it not to.  I almost always get the same IP address when on my wireless network at home even though i am using DHCP on my Mac.  I think this is because the router is "keeping track" or the computers on the network and trying to "make it easy for me"

agw

Go into your router and try revoking the priviledge of the unRAID server.  Your router might be hanging onto the MAC address and the UP associated with them.  I know my router does this even if i tell it not to.  I almost always get the same IP address when on my wireless network at home even though i am using DHCP on my Mac.  I think this is because the router is "keeping track" or the computers on the network and trying to "make it easy for me"

The unRAID software has the ability to set the MAC address overriding the value in the chipset. 

This has happened before when a person migrated their unRAID server from a MB and then tried to use that same MB on their lan elsewhere.

On the flash drive, in the config/network.cfg file, delete the line that says:

HWADDR=FF:22:12:74:FE:7E

Then, reboot the unRAID server.  It was pretending to have the MAC address of the other MB.  Without that line, it will use its own.

Joe L.

Thanks prostuff1 and Joe L.  I tried both of your suggestions . . . multiple times.  But my server had some kind of a death grip on the old MAC address from its initial build.  Ultimately I had to edit the network.cfg file, unplug both my modem and my router for several minutes and then bring everything back online before i got the serve up with its own unique MAC address.

Very frustrating.  Prompted me to add a wiki page in the 'HowTos' section.

agw

Thanks prostuff1 and Joe L.  I tried both of your suggestions . . . multiple times.  But my server had some kind of a death grip on the old MAC address from its initial build.  Ultimately I had to edit the network.cfg file, unplug both my modem and my router for several minutes and then bring everything back online before i got the serve up with its own unique MAC address.

Very frustrating.  Prompted me to add a wiki page in the 'HowTos' section.

agw

Good to hear that you got it resolved... and have added to the wiki page.  Like I said earlier I have had this problem also, though not quite in the same configuration.  I simple revoke of all IP's relating to the MAC address's in my router was able to resolve the issue.